Spread Bet Explained in 2021
Spread betting is one of the most famous wagering types, but many punters still don't know much about it. If you are one of them, don't worry, our team of expert punters goes deep into the tiny details about this exciting betting type. The ones who are already familiar with it can benefit from learning about different strategies to beat the bookies. We won't waste more time, so let's dive into this topic!
How does Spread Betting work?
Spread betting is one of the most used betting types among punters, no matter how experienced they are. This kind of wager is famous because you can get a higher value compared to other markets, such as moneylines. Although it takes a bit of time to understand it fully, it applies to lots of sports.
This betting type is pretty much similar to handicap betting. Bookies will assign a virtual advantage to the underdogs in the match to level up the odds. They do this to make the event more attractive to punters. It is beneficial, especially when one team is a firm favorite in the clash. Since the odds on the traditional moneylines are very slim for those games, spread betting will give an underdog a bigger chance to win by giving it a virtual head start. To determine if a spread bet wins or loses, you should just add the advantage to the result of the clash.
How do I place & win a Spread Bet?
It won't take you more than a couple of clicks to place your first spread bet. If you are unsure about the steps, don't worry, we will walk you through the process.
- Pick an online bookmaker: There are lots of sportsbooks on the betting market, and it can be tough choosing the best one. You can always find out what are the best sports betting sites at our dedicated page.
- Create an account and make a deposit: To set everything up, you should sign up for an online account. It is quite a straightforward process, as you should only provide valid information. Bear in mind to add some funds to it as well.
- Search for your picks: The navigation to your desired event should be seamless, and you can easily find the spread market. Just click on the odds you want to wager, and the bet slip will automatically populate.
- Submit a wager: The last step requires you to enter the stake and click the Place Bet button. You can now enjoy the match and collect winnings if your team beats the spread.
What Sports offer Spread Betting?
Spread betting is so popular that it applies to lots of sports. Wherever the result is measured in goals or points, you can enjoy spread betting. However, it is more attractive in high-scoring sports.
As one of the world's most famous sport, it is not strange that basketball is perfect for spread betting. As opposed to the moneyline markets, spreads provide better value odds. When you land at any basketball event on the bookie's website, you will likely find the spread market displayed as the default one. As a sport that features a lot of points in the game, basketball is the number one sport for this kind of wager.
Although tennis is an individual sport and the scoring rules are pretty unique, it can also be suitable for spread betting. Bookmakers can offer you markets related to the games and sets spread, which open you new opportunities to capitalize on this betting type.
This is another sport from the high-scoring category, and spread markets are very extended for it. The NFL fanbase is huge, and spread betting is the most popular wagering type among them. Almost every sportsbook offers spread betting on these events, and you should consider trying them out.
Examples for Spread Betting
We are about to show you how spread betting works in practice so that you can completely understand it. It's nothing too complicated about it, so let's dive into these examples.
Winning example of Spread bet
A derby match in the NFL is scheduled for this weekend as Pittsburgh Steelers host Houston Texans. Both teams are in excellent form, and a tight game is expected. You believe the hosts can win so you started exploring the spread market.
|Pittsburgh Steelers (-3.5)||1.85|
|Houston Texans (+3.5)||1.90|
You believe the hosts can beat the spread set at -3.5 points. Indeed, the Steelers celebrated a 28:21 victory and brought you a decent payout.
Losing example of Spread bet
In the NBA finals, Los Angeles Lakers have the chance to lift the trophy with just one more victory in a tie. They are 3:1 ahead of Miami Heat, and you are quite positive the Lakers can end up as the NBA champions after this game. Let's take a look at the spread market.
|LA Lakers (-4.5)||1.80|
|Miami Heat (+4.5)||1.90|
The game was pretty tight, and eventually, the Heat managed to extend the series for at least one match. The Lakers lost by three points, and they leave you without any returns from your spread bet.
Is a Spread Bet a Good Bet?
Spread betting can be pretty profitable if you apply some strategies to increase your chances of winning. Luckily, we are here to provide you some useful tips.
5 Tips for your next bets
- Compare the odds: Don't hesitate to shop around for the best odds since they can vary from one bookmaker to another. If you can get the same odds at a lower margin, you increase your chances of winning.
- Back teams on hot streaks: Search for sides in good form since the chances of finding a good value odds are pretty high. Streaks can provide you a valuable piece of information that shouldn't be underestimated.
- Take into consideration scoring records: High-scoring teams should be in your focus when selecting your spread bet. If they can earn points easily, then your chances of beating a spread are higher.
- Exploit line movements: Margins are changing at any time before the game starts, and different news has an impact on them. When betting the spread, half a point can be crucial, so you should take advantage of any movement in your favor.
- Double down your wager when you are confident: You should be careful with this strategy, but it can bring you significant profits. If the margin moves into your favor, you should try with another spread bet. You can hit high payouts, but don't try this with every spread bet.
Which betting site is the best to bet on?
With tips from this guide, you should be ready to include spread betting into your wagering experience. So, don't hesitate and head to 10Cric and sign up for an online account. Make the first deposit and start pacing your spread bets! With strategies that are available in this comprehensive guide, you should be able to make profits in the long term!
Spread betting work under the same principle as handicap betting. It means that a virtual head start is given to an underdog in the contest. This approach ensures giving both sides an equal chance of winning the game.
Bookmakers set the lines in spread betting after analyzing information about opposing contestants. That information can refer to recent form, scoring records, or some side effects that can significantly impact one of the sides.
No, the lines can move over time and at any moment before the game starts. However, if you place a spread bet at one margin, it won’t be changed regardless of the future line movements. Different circumstances can have an impact on the line movements.
High-scoring sports are the most suitable ones for this betting type. Those include basketball and American football as well. Spread betting applies to tennis as well, although this sport has a unique way of scoring.