Horse Racing Betting: Sites & “How to Bet” in 2021
Horse racing is one of the most popular sports in both South Africa and the world as a whole for sports betting. There are plenty of races taking place on a regular basis that there is plenty of action to satisfy your betting needs.
While the betting types for horse racing are a bit limited, there is nothing much more exciting than seeing your horse crossing the finish line in first place. This guide will look at the different aspects of horse racing betting in South Africa.
How does Horse Racing betting work?
Horse racing has been around for hundreds of years. It is massively popular across Europe, the United States, and other regions like Australia and South Africa. While there are different types of horse racing, the goal is always the same, to be the first horse past the finishing line. This is why it is such a popular sport for betting, as there will always be a winner.
If you are looking to get started with horse racing betting it is actually a pretty simple process. You have winner bets as the main option, with each way bets also being very popular. This allows you to hedge your bets somewhat and combine a winner bet with a place bet. A place bet is when you think that a certain horse will finish in the top few places of a race.
Then there are some other less popular markets, such as betting without the favorite and head to head matchups between two horses. Finally, horse racing is always a good sport for placing multiples bets, such as Lucky 15s and Yankee bet. This allows you to combine a few selections from different horse races into a single collection of bets.
A great way to learn more about online horse betting is to dive right in and watch some different races. You probably want to focus on races in a certain region while starting off. If you ever get tired from horse racing betting, some of the other popular sports you can bet on include cricket, soccer, rugby and esports.
What kind of Horse Racing bets can I make?
Horse racing is one of the simpler sports in terms of the available betting markets. There are only a few main markets that you will come across when compared to other popular sports. Here are the main types of bets you will come across:
- Race Winner: This explains itself, you are placing a bet on the horse you think is going to win the race.
- Place: A place bet sees you simply predicting that the horse will finish in the top few places in the race. The number of places depends on the operator.
- Each way bet: An each way bet combines a race winner and place bet together, being an ideal way to spread your risk for a given horse.
- Betting without the favorite: Some races will have strong favorites that will almost certainly win the race. To make it more viable to bet on other horses, there will be markets that disregard the strong favorite.
- Head to head bets: Oftentimes the bookmaker will pair two horses against each other and you bet on which of these horses you think will beat the other.
Is Horse Racing betting profitable or can it be?
Just betting on other types of sports, there is the chance to be profitable when it comes to horse racing betting. If you place the right bets you will be able to make money, but there will be nothing guaranteed. You just have to outsmart the person who is setting the odds and sometimes have a bit of luck.
What is the best Horse Racing betting strategy?
A lot of people dedicate their lives to being full-time horse racing bettors. They put many hours into conducting their research for different races, following all of the latest news about horses, jockeys, and trainers.
There is not going to be one single strategy that will be the best for horse racing betting, but there are some approaches you can take that can pay off over time.
- Do your own research: There are tons of tipsters out there on social media who will have differing thoughts on a race. It is a good idea to try to do your own research and see who you perform over time. Then you can adjust your strategy depending on your results.
- Experience is vital: One of the most important variables to consider with a horse in a race is its record at that racetrack, as well as the performances of its jockey. You also need to check the ground footing and to see if this will have an impact on the race.
- Proper risk management: All successful bettors will be very smart with how they use their money. They will not blow all of their balance on one horse or a day of racing. They dedicate certain staking sizes depending on how confident they are of their selection. Take a more conservative approach and you will live to fight another day if things go wrong.
What & When are the major horse races in SA?
There are many great horse races that take place every year both in South Africa and across the globe. Naturally, the races at home will generate more attention in South Africa.
These races are usually shown live on television so you can sit back and watch the performances of your horses during the course of the day. Here are some of the most notable races in SA today:
- Vodacom Durban July
- Investec Cape Derby
- J & B Met
- Klawervlei Majorca
- Daily News 2000
- H F Oppenheimer Horse Chestnut
Which betting site is best to bet on?
At this point, you have everything you need to know about horse racing betting at your fingertips. It is the right time to try out these tips and strategies in practice. Don’t waste time anymore, and go straight to bet.co.za sportsbook. It will provide you the best horse racing wagering experience, so sign up for an online account, and start your journey now. Make wise picks, place bets, and pick up winnings!
If your horse is a non-runner and does not start, this usually means that your bet will be void and your stake will be returned to you. However, this policy could change depending on what operators you placed the bet with, so this is something to be aware of.
Yes, live betting on horse races is very popular. A wide range of races will usually be supported, with many sportsbooks offering live streams of these races. The markets will usually be limited to the race winner market and you can often get great odds after the horses leave their starting positions.
There will usually be a welcome free bet offer when you sign up for a new sports betting account. There will also usually be regular promotions for existing bettors to reward them for their loyalty. These could be tailored to a certain race. For example, a common offer is getting your race winner bet stake returned to you if the horse you selected finishes in 2nd place.
With horse races, the participants can very often go down to the wire and have a close finish. It can sometimes take a while to determine who is the actual winner after a photo finish. However, there will always be a winner after the analysis of the finish has been completed.
If you bet on a horse that falls during the course of a race, then you will lose your stake. It is not like a non-runner money-back situation as the horse actually started the race. Obstacles such as fences and hedges are a part of the start to make it tougher.
Most sportsbooks these days will have a strong mobile offering as so many people like to place wagers through their phones. You can often download an app to do so or simply place a bet through the mobile-optimized website. Sometimes, there will be curtailment on live betting markets for mobile bettors.