How to bet on Baseball in 2020
Baseball is a massively popular sport for wagering as there are countless different types of betting markets on offer due to the many nuances of the game. If you are baseball betting online, there are even more options for you to check out. The regular seasons for the MLB has tons of games to bet on, with the sport always being exciting and generating legendary games. This guide will show you how to bet on baseball and to help you develop a baseball betting strategy.
- Baseball betting: The Basics
- Examples for baseball betting
- Biggest baseball betting events for placing a baseball bet
- Place a bet on baseball: Step-by-Step
- Baseball betting for beginners: How to bet
- Baseball betting for professionals: How to bet
- Baseball betting: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
Baseball betting: The Basics
Major League Baseball (MLB) dates all of the way back to 1903 when the league was officially created. While baseball is massively popular in the United States there are countless other nations across the world that have embraced the sport. In total, there are 30 teams each season taking part in the MLB.
This set of teams is split evenly into the American League and the National League. Minor League Baseball is a subdivision of MLB and allows players to develop and eventually strive to get a place in the big leagues.
Of the 30 teams currently in the MLB, 29 of them are from the United States, with a single team being from Canada. The regular season sees each team play 162 games, with five teams from both of the leagues making it to a postseason series.
The World Series is the ultimate prize at the end of the postseason, with one team being crowned as the world champion after a best-of-seven game series. Currently, the MLB is the second wealthiest pro sports league in the country behind the NFL and betting on MLB games is very popular.
There is a lot of money bet on baseball games every season. As there are so many betting opportunities during the season, there is always something to place a bet on. Over the years, there have been a number of betting scandals involving baseball players and coaches betting for or against their teams.
These days, the sport has a lot of integrity and it has embraced sports betting. One of the most popular ways to bet on baseball is through over/under betting. This is a very easy way to place bets on a baseball game without needing to do too much research. You are simply betting on whether you think the result of a given market will be over or under a given target.
Examples for baseball betting
In a game you may look at the over/under bet for the winning team for the game. The over/under may be 2.5 runs for the winning margin of the game. If you bet over, you believe that the game is going to be won by at least 3 runs and if you choose the under option you believe that the winning margin will be 2 points or less.
For example, the game is played between the Chicago Cubs and the San Francisco Giants. The over/under for the winning margin is 2.5 runs. Both the over and under pays out at even odds for the sake of this example.
Winning Example of baseball betting
If you bet $10 that the winning margin will be at least 2.5 runs and this bet is a winner, you will win a profit of $10 and get your $10 stake returned to you.
Losing Example of baseball betting
If you bet $10 that the winning margin will be at least 2.5 runs and the winning margin is only a single run, you will make no profit and you will lose your $10 stake.
Biggest baseball betting events for placing a baseball bet
There are many leading baseball events every year that in particular attract a lot of attention from sports bettors. These often have all sorts of markets and great odds for you to check out. There may be regular promotions and bonus offers to avail of. Here are some of those leading events:
The World Series was first played in 1903 and it has been taking place ever since. It is the biggest game of the season, with the winner of the seven game series being crowned as the world champion. The team that is victorious will also be given the Commissioner’s Trophy.
To get into the World Series, a team will either have to win the American League championship series or the National League series. The New York Yankees hold the distinction as having won the World Series on the most occasions, doing so on 27 different occasions.
American League Championship Series
The American League Championship Series is the culmination of the American League post season, where the best teams in the American League battle it out to get a spot in the World Series. The ALCS has been taking place since 1969 and these days it is the best of seven games series. The New York Yankees hold the record for the most appearances in the ALCS.
National League Championship Series
The National League Championship Series sees the best teams in the National League battle it out for a spot in the World Series. This is a series that is a best of seven games and has been taking place since 1969. The St. Louis Cardinals have the most NLCS appearances out of the participating teams, with Los Angeles Dodgers one appearance behind the Cardinals in this regard.
Place a bet on baseball: Step-by-Step
If you are looking to get started with baseball betting and to place a wager, here is a quick guide on how you can do so in a quick and easy manner:
- Step 1: Choose a sportsbook: The initial step you will need to follow is selecting a sportsbook. You can use Betting Billy’s reviews and comparison tool to choose a given option.
- Step 2: Register for an account: After choosing a sportsbook, you can then register an account entering your personal info and contact info. You will also need to verify your identity during this process, as well as set an account username and password.
- Step 3: Make a deposit: You now need to add funds to your new sports betting account. You can do so with a variety of different methods. Make sure to add any relevant bonus code at this point in order to activate a given welcome offer.
- Step 4: Place your bet: Now that you have funds in your account to place a wager, you can then look to see what game you want to bet on and what market. Simply navigate through the sportsbook to the different markets on offer for a game. Select the relevant bet and choose what option you want to bet on. When you click on the odds, the selection will be added to the betslip. Simply enter how much you want to bet on this selection and click confirm.
Baseball betting for beginners: How to bet
If you are a beginner when it comes to baseball betting, there may be a bit of a learning curve that is needed to get to grips with what you should be looking out for. Here are some tips that beginners can take on board when starting off:
- Tip 1: Don’t spread yourself thin: If you are getting started with baseball betting, there are tons of different games to place a bet on. Therefore, you want to make sure that you only focus on a few at any given time and don’t spread yourself too thin by trying to bet on a lot of different games at one time.
- Tip 2: Get expert picks: Another great practice to get involved with when you are starting out with baseball betting is signing up for an expert betting picks service. Billy’s List provides you with expert picks straight to your inbox for free.
- Tip 3: Do your homework: There is tons of data out there regarding the different players and teams in the MLB. You can use this info to your advantage when deciding what bets to place, such as home advantage. Checking different sources and exploring all avenues will help you to get a potential edge over the sportsbook.
- Tip 4: Don’t bet on your team: Most people will have a favorite baseball team that they follow throughout the season. While you may really enjoy watching their games and know everything about the team, it is often advised to not place bets on games involving your favorite team. This is because your decision making can become biased as emotion enters the equation.
- Tip 5: Be patient: When you are starting off with baseball betting lines, it will likely take some time for you to find your feet. There will be lessons you need to learn in order to improve and to boost your odds of doing well over time. Regularly analyzing your losing bets to figure out where and why they went wrong is a great way to improve.
Baseball betting for professionals: How to bet
There are a lot of sports bettors out there today who make significant money through baseball betting. They are able to put their experience and knowledge about the game and its players to good use. While strategies are always going to vary depending on the bettor, there are some general principles that can help out any sports bettor who is looking to improve:
- Getting the best odds: If you are taking betting seriously and you want to make consistent profit, then you need to always consider the odds totals. Experienced bettors will have accounts with each of the major sportsbooks and will always have access to the best odds as a result. Even small differences in this regard can make substantial differences over time in your profit levels.
- Find a niche: A lot of professional sports bettors have a certain area of expertise. This could mean focusing on one of the two leagues or on certain teams. This narrows down the amount of coverage they have to do, instead being able to find a potential edge with a given team as you develop in-depth knowledge over time.
- Availing of offers: Even professional sports bettors make the most of the likes of loyalty programs and free bets. These are a great way of helping boost your account balance without having to risk too much.
Baseball betting: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
As this article showcases, baseball betting is highly enjoyable and profitable for a lot of people. You can get started today betting for yourself. All you need to do is use the Betting Billy sportsbook comparison tool to find a good option for your needs. You can then get started betting within just a few minutes.
There is no single sportsbook that you can point out as being the best option for baseball betting. Different sportsbooks will be better at different things. For example, one sportsbook may often have the best odds for baseball betting while others will have a great selection of unique markets.
There are a few sportsbooks that will be known for having decent odds for its baseball betting offering. However, to get the best odds for every single bet that you are making, you should have an account with all of the leading sportsbooks in your state so you know you are always getting the best odds for a given bet.
If you are signing up for a new sports betting account, you will need to verify your identity as part of this process. This usually requires you to provide some form of photo ID, such as a passport or driving license. You will also need to supply some proof of address such as a bank statement or a utility bill.
There are welcome bonus offers available for most sportsbooks when you are signing up for the first time. Many sportsbooks will also have regular promotions for its existing customers relating to baseball. This is usually seen across the board at important times of the season, such as for the World Series.
This depends on what your preferred methods may be and what sportsbook you are using. The transaction methods on offer varies depending on the operator. The processing times for transactions and fees can also be different when you are looking at different operators, so these are all key variables to consider.