How to bet on Basketball in 2022
There is always plenty of basketball action for you to check out during the year. Both professional and college basketball attracts a lot of attention from sports bettors, meaning that the sportsbooks will always be offering extensive markets for these events. Basketball betting is always highly exciting as games can change in a flash.
Online basketball betting provides you with great flexibility, as you can place bets on the go no matter where you are, even during games. This guide on how to bet on basketball gives you a look at some of the key points associated with betting on the sport.
Basketball betting: The Basics
Basketball has long been a very popular sport both in the USA and the rest of the world. The past decades have seen the game explode in popularity, with the likes of Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Lebron James being household names. While the NBA will attract more attention usually than college basketball games, there is still a lot of interest in the college game. This is particularly the case when March rolls around and March Madness begins.
The NBA has been around since 1946 and it currently has 30 teams. Of these teams, 29 are from the USA and one of the teams is from Canada. The teams are divided into the Eastern Conference and Western Conference.
The teams battle it out during the regular season to get into the playoffs. This will culminate in the championship games for the two conferences, with the winners of these series going on to play one another in the NBA Championship Finals.
NCAA basketball also sees the teams divided into different conferences, usually in a geographical manner. There will also be different rankings that will determine what division these basketball college teams will be a part of. The biggest event of the year is March Madness, with the winner of this bracket tournament being crowned as the NCAA basketball champion for the year.
For betting on these two types of games, there is always plenty of interest, usually more so for the NBA games. You have all sorts of different options, inducing basketball over/under betting. Here are some other popular forms of basketball betting:
Examples for basketball betting
Basketball over/under betting is a great entry point into betting for beginners, as well as being a useful tool of experienced bettors. For this example, you will see the Boston Celtics taking on the Chicago Bulls in a game. The sportsbook will determine what the specific numbers of points for the win margin of the game will be and it will then set the odds for the over/under betting. In this example, the specific win margin is 5 points and it will be even odds for both options.
Winning Example of basketball betting
If you believe the winning margin is going to be greater than 5.5 points then you might place $20 on this outcome at even odds. If the Boston Celtics win by 8 points, this means that your bet is a winner. You will win a profit of $20 and get your $20 stake returned to you.
Losing Example of basketball betting
If you think that the winning margin will be more than 5 points, you may place a $20 bet on the over option for this bet. However, if the Boston Celtics only win the game by two points, your bet will be a loser. This means that you will lose your $20 stake.
Biggest basketball events for placing an Over/Under bet
There are many high profile basketball team events that take place every season, both on a professional and amateur level. Here are some of those biggest events to look out for:
NBA Championship Finals
This is the biggest game of the NBA season and will usually receive the most bets. It is a best of seven games series that pits the winning team of the Eastern Conference Final against the winning team of the Western Conference Final.
The team that has the better regular season record will have home advantage for the first two games of the series, as well as for game 5 and 7 if it goes that far. The Boston Celtics hold the record for the most NBA Championship wins by a team, having been crowned as world champion on 17 different occasions.
NBA Conference Finals
The conference finals for the NBA Eastern and Western Conferences are also very popular in terms of viewership and basketball betting. The best teams in the respective conferences will battle it out to try to win a place in the NBA Championship Final. These games are always hotly contested, with some of the biggest team rivalries in the sports coming at this stage.
March Madness is the main NCAA college basketball tournament that takes place every year. It is a single elimination tournament that takes place in spring and there are 68 teams that gain entry to it. It is one of the most popular sporting events each year in the USA, particularly among sports betting fans. For a single event, it takes in the most bets each year for sportsbooks in a lot of cases. At the end of the tournament, the team left standing will be crowned NCAA basketball champion.
Place an Over/Under bet on basketball: Step-by-Step
If you are looking to get started with basketball betting, there are many different betting types to choose from. The basketball over/under bet is one of the best ways for beginners to dip their toes in the sports betting space. Here are some simple steps you can take to get started placing these bets:
- Step 1: Finding a sportsbook: The first step of the process is figuring out what sportsbook you are going to sign up for an account with. There are many different variables to consider, so make sure that you are ranking the aspects of an offering that are most important to you. You can use the BettingBilly sportsbook comparison tool to help you with this decision.
- Step 2: Create an account: The process of creating an account with most sportsbooks is very straightforward. You will enter personal and contact info, as well as set a username and password. You can then verify your account by confirming your ID and address.
- Step 3: Make a deposit: Once you have signed up for a sports betting account, you can then make your first deposit. If there is a welcome bonus offer that requires you to enter a promo code at this stage, make sure that you don’t forget to enter it.
- Step 4: Make your bets: Now that you have funds in your account that can be used to make bets, you will be ready to have a look at the different basketball betting markets. You have many different options. Once you select a game and look at the over/under options, simply select either over or under for that market and specify how much you want the bet to be.
Basketball betting for beginners: How to bet
In the starting stages of sports betting, beginners will often need to go through some trial and error before they figure out everything. Here are some tips that can help you along the way during this process:
- Tip 1: Be patient: You need to take a patient approach and understand that there will be some teething problems in the beginning. Don’t despair or give up, as these issues will be normal until you fully know what you are doing.
- Tip 2: Don’t spread yourself thin: You want to make sure that you are not blowing your account balance all in one go or trying to bet on all of the different basketball games. You should take a smart approach and only use a certain amount of your balance every week.
- Tip 3: Learn from mistakes: As time goes on, you will start to spot trends as to what you are doing well with your bets and what can be improved upon. By reviewing your bets, you will be able to refine your strategy and make better decisions.
- Tip 4: Get expert picks: A great way to get a feel for how the best bettors make their pick is signing up for a sports betting picks service. The Billy’s List is an expert picks service that allows you to get expert picks sent to your inbox when you sign up for free.
- Tip 5: Try everything: It is a good idea to try all different betting types when starting off with basketball betting. This will allow you to see what different options you have available to you and discover what you are doing the best with in terms of results.
Basketball betting for professionals: How to bet
There are many people who make a good living from sports betting. They have created strategies over the years that help them to remain consistent. While the strategies will all be different, you can spot some similarities.
- A narrow focus: Most sports bettors that perform well over time will have certain areas of expertise. This could be focusing on NBA basketball or college basketball. Many go even further and focus on a given conference or a small pool of teams.
- Do your research: Gaining an edge over the sportsbooks comes from doing proper research and knowing more about the players and teams involved in a given matchup than the person setting the odds. You have countless tools to conduct this research in this day and age.
- Getting the lowest odds: Getting the best odds is vital to boost your returns over the long run. While the differences in odds for a given game may not appear to be major, this can significantly add up. Most expert sports bettors will have accounts with all of the leading sites to ensure that they are always getting the best odds.
Basketball betting: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
Basketball betting is the ideal way to make the games you are watching even more interesting. You will always have an interest in the outcomes of games and truly enjoy the experience. Getting started with a sportsbook is easy and you can find the best option for you thanks to the BettingBilly sportsbook comparison tool.
There is no single sportsbook that you can pinpoint for being the best when it comes to basketball betting. Each platform will have its strengths and weaknesses, with different sports bettors having different needs. There will be some offerings you come across that will in general be better than most of their competitors.
A lot of sportsbooks regularly reward their bettors with all sorts of different offers. A lot of the time these will be in the form of a freebet where you can bet on the outcome of an event without risking your actual funds. You can also get the likes of parlay insurance and enhanced prices for your bets.
You are not going to get one sportsbook that always has the best odds for all of the basketball games and betting markets. There will be some that generally will have better odds for a lot of games, but this is not exclusive. This is why a lot of the leading sports bettors make sure to sign up for accounts with all of the best sportsbooks so they always get the lowest odds for their selections.
There are a lot more bets placed on NBA games due to its global profile and having the best players in the sport. There is less liquidity involved with college basketball betting. This means that the odds are going to change more as a flurry of bets come in. This is why it is often a good idea to place your college basketball bets as soon as the odds are released.
Every state is going to have its own rules regarding sports betting. This will include having to be a certain age in order to place sports bets and being within state lines to make a bet. You can use the state checker tool on BettingBilly to see what the specific rules are in your state and to keep an eye on the latest developments.