How to Bet on College Basketball in 2021
There is something about college basketball that attracts the fans year after year even though the players change. They root for the university teams they went to or the college teams in their own state whenever they take to the court. There is no money on the line for the players, they are doing it for their team and to be in with a chance of making it professional in the NBA. Naturally, there is a lot of college basketball betting that goes on with the games due to their exciting nature. All of the major sportsbooks will put a large focus on these markets to ensure that all needs are looked after. This how to bet on college basketball guide walks you through the various aspects associated with college basketball or NCAAB betting.
- Betting on college basketball: The Basics
- Examples for betting on college basketball
- Biggest basketball events for college basketball betting
- Place a bet on college basketball: Step-by-Step
- Betting on college basketball for beginners: How to bet
- Betting on college basketball for professionals: How to bet
- Betting on college basketball: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
Betting on college basketball: The Basics
The college basketball season is governed by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and there are many different divisions depending on the strength of the teams. There will also be different conferences in each division, usually being dependent on geographical regions.
All of these players are at college and playing basketball as amateur players. Most of the players have gotten scholarships to be there, with a lot of the leading players looking to showcase their talent with the hope that they will get picked up by an NBA team.
In terms of college basketball betting, there are all of the usual types of markets catered for. Moneyline bets allow you to outright bet on what team you think is going to win in a given fixture. Spread betting allows you to play a handicap to the favorite team and to make a mismatch more even when it comes to betting on the result.
Then there are the over/under college basketball betting markets that allow you to have a simple choice as to whether you think the result will be over or under a given point. Most of the betting attention for college basketball teams comes at the time of March Madness. This is the largest event in the sport. Here are some other popular forms of basketball betting:
Examples for betting on college basketball
If you are looking to place a bet on a game involving Duke and North Carolina as to what the winning margin may be, you will be looking at the over/under for this game. The sportsbook sets the over/under points margin at 4.5 points, with the odds for both over and under being evens.
Winning Example of betting on college basketball
If you think that Duke is going to win by five points or more, you will choose the over option. By betting $10, you will make a profit of $10 if successful, as well as getting your $10 bet returned to you.
Losing Example of betting on college basketball
If you back Duke to win by more than 4.5 points and they lose the game or fail to win by that margin, you will lose your $10 stake and make no profit.
Biggest basketball events for college basketball betting
The college basketball season sees many great rivals battle against each other during the regular season. Many of these team rivalries go back many decades and they are always great spectacles. Then you have the big March Madness event coming the end of the season. Here are the biggest events in college basketball:
This single elimination tournament takes place every spring and it pits the best college basketball teams against one another. There are 68 entrants in total, with everyone getting a single game to win or go home until there is one last team standing and is crowned as NCAA champion for the year.
This is always a massive event for sports fans in the United States and is massively popular for betting intake, being one of the most heavily bet on events in all of sports.
North Carolina vs Duke
This is always a matchup during the season that attracts massive attention. These schools are only 20 minutes away from one another. The rivalry began back in the 1920s and they have played every season ever since then. The current head to head record sees North Carolina leading by 137-11.
Louisville vs Kentucky
These two colleges are both in Kentucky and with basketball being massively popular in the region, you can bet that there is a lot of bragging rights up for grabs with this fixture. Kentucky holds the record for having more than double the wins that Louisville has in the fixture. However, all of the games in recent years have been very tight and gone right down to the wire.
Place a bet on college basketball: Step-by-Step
With college basketball, you are going to get plenty of action. This is ideal if you are just starting off with betting, as you have a lot of flexibility and a lot of new experiences to check out. Here are a few simple steps that you are able to use in order to kick off your betting:
- Step 1: Find a sportsbook: You will want to do some research and figure out what sportsbook you are going to use. Every person will have different priorities for their sportsbooks. You can narrow the list of options by using the BettingBilly operator comparison tool.
- Step 2: Sign up: The process of signing up to a new sportsbook is pretty quick. Fill in key details such as full name, address, contact info and set a username and password. You will also have to provide some documents to prove your ID and address.
- Step 3: Make a deposit: Your first deposit with a sports betting platform often is subject to a welcome bonus offer. Check out the available promotions and enter any relevant promo code at this stage to get started.
- Step 4: Start betting: Look at the different college basketball betting options and find a bet that makes sense and simply add it to your betslip, enter your bet size and confirm the bet.
Betting on college basketball for beginners: How to bet
As a beginner sports bettor, there are some common pitfalls that need to be avoided if you want to be consistent and successful. This will allow you to lessen the learning curve and become experienced at a quick rate. Here are a few pieces of advice that you can keep in mind:
- Tip 1: Place your bets early: As there are a lot less people betting on NBA games than college basketball games, the odds are likely to change a lot quicker with college basketball betting. This is why you will need to place your bets as soon as the odds are released in order to maximize on the potential low odds.
- Tip 2: Stay accountable: It is a good idea to keep a record of all of your bets and what betting types you have won with and what you consistently lose with. This allows you to figure out what area of college basketball betting will be best suited to your expertise.
- Tip 3: Experiment: When starting off with a sportsbook, you should try to experiment and try out all of the different betting type. This allows you to figure out what types of bets are a good fit for certain situations.
- Tip 4: Access expert picks: By having a look at what the experts at college basketball betting are doing, you can improve your own betting practices. The likes of Billy’s List is a free to sign up for service that will deliver expert picks straight to your email inbox.
- Tip 5: Focus on important information: In modern sports, there are tons of stats and data that are irrelevant to sports betting. With college basketball betting, historical data from years past is going to be largely irrelevant as there is such a large turnover of players each year. Focus on data that is relevant to the outcome of a game and don’t worry about meaningless information.
Betting on college basketball for professionals: How to bet
To make a good living from sports betting, you need to be doing something right. While some people will hit it big with a single bet that pays off handsomely, to be consistently successful takes a lot of work. While successful sports bettors have different plans and strategies, there are some trends that tend to crop up over and over again. Here are some of those trends:
- Keeping an eye on the prize: Sports bettors will make sure to not get distracted and try to spread themselves thin by betting on all sorts of different games that they don’t know much about. Instead, they will focus their efforts on just a few bets and maximizing the time spent researching them.
- Getting optimal odds: Another key for experienced sports bettors is always availing of the most optimal odds for their bets. This means being signed up with all of the best sportsbooks so you can always get these odds.
- Getting an edge: Experienced sports bettors will get an edge in any way possible. This may be through promotions and bonus offers or by doing deep research on a given game that you know more about the event than the person setting the odds. This will allow you to be more portable over time.
Betting on college basketball: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
Through this guide, you will have seen all of the great aspects associated with college basketball betting. You also have gotten a great insight into how to get started and tips to get you on the right track with your betting. Now you can use the BettingBilly sportsbook comparison tool to pick a good option for your needs.
For the standard NBA game, it will receive more bets than the college basketball game as there is more of a global presence for the NBA. However, when it comes to the college basketball March Madness event, there will be massive sums of money bet on these games across the United States.
There are tons of different resources out there for you to check out. Social media is an ideal way to keep up to date with the latest breaking news about players and teams. You can also use the official NCAA college basketball site for all types of stats and a number of other hubs for college basketball info.
You will always be getting great exposure to college basketball betting no matter what sportsbook you sign up for. However, some offerings will tend to shine a bit more than the rest of the crowd in this regard. While a sportsbook won’t always have the best odds for a given sport, some will generally stand out more than others.
There are many different bonuses on offer for new players when signing up to a sportsbook. These come in different sizes and shapes, being away for the operator to entice new players to sign up. Free bets are one of the most common offers allowing you to get a chance to play a bet without risking your own money and getting to keep the winnings.
There are all sorts of great tools at BettingBilly that will help with your college basketball betting. You can quickly see what the rules are in your state for sports betting with the state checker tool. Then you can see which is the best sportsbook for you with the comparison tool and sign up for expert sports betting tips through Billy’s List.