How to bet on NFL in 2021
The NFL is one of the most popular sports leagues to place a bet on in the United States. While college football is very popular also, football betting is a different ball game. The hits are bigger and the best of the best are battling it out every week to try and claim the Super Bowl come the end of the season.
The NFL is known for its hard hits and amazing skills. For NFL sports betting, there are tons of great betting markets to check out, particularly for player prop betting. This guide looks through all of the aspects involved with betting for the NFL.
Betting for NFL: The basics
The National Football League (NFL) is the professional American football league that is made up of 32 teams. There is a split of these teams between the American Football Conference (AFC) and the National Football Conference (NFC). It is one of the four large major sports leagues in the country along with the NBA, MLB and NHL.
In terms of revenue, the NFL is the leader and it is also the leading American football league in the world. The regular season takes place over 17 weeks and it begins in September and runs until the end of December. Seven teams from both of the conferences make it to the playoffs, with the two teams left standing battling it out for the Super Bowl in February.
NFL betting has always been popular in the United States as there are many different types of bets you can check out. Daily fantasy football has only increased people’s appetite for this type of betting. Everything from money lines to player prop bets and spread betting are a key part of NFL sports betting. This gives you the chance to place bets on your favorite players and favorite team week in and week out while watching exciting matchups. Here are some other popular football betting markets to consider:
Types of Bets in NFL
When betting for NFL games, there are a lot of different popular types of bets that you are able to check out. This means that the experience is always going to be fresh, as you can chop and change between these bet types depending on your needs at that given point in time. Here is a list of the five main betting types associated with NFL betting:
Moneyline is the most straightforward type of NFL sports betting odds market. Moneyline is simply deciding what team you think is going to win the game. You have the option to bet on the moneyline of each of the teams in a given game without a handicap spread being applied to the moneyline odds. However, playing the spread is very popular, as this creates better odds when you are dealing with strong teams that are playing against weaker opponents.
A spread levels the playing field in terms of betting, with a certain amount of points deducted from the favorite’s score. For example, the point spread in a game may be 7.5 points. Therefore, if you back the favorite team in the moneyline odds, you will need them to win the game by at least 8 points in order for your bet to be a winner.
Futures bets are another popular part of NFL betting. These can be made before the season begins or you can place these bets while the season is active. You are basically betting on your predicted outcome for a given event. For example, a popular futures odds betting market will be the winner of the Super Bowl.
Before the season begins, you may place a future bet on the New England Patriots winning the Super Bowl for example. Futures bets come in many different forms, both on a team and individual basis. For example, you can bet on the odds of what player you think is going to win the NFL’s Most Valuable Player (MVP) award come the end of the year.
One of the most popular types of betting on NFL games is proper betting. They can be placed on a team or individual players or an event happening in a game. These odds are particularly popular among fans of fantasy football, as they bear a lot of similarities in their styles. You may bet on a given running back having a certain amount of yards in a game or a quarterback throwing a certain amount of touchdowns.
Another popular type of NFL sports betting is parlay betting. This sees you combining at least two individual selections into the same bet. For you to be a winner, each of your selections has to come through.
While the chances of you winning are going to be slimmer the more selections you add to the parlay bet, you will also be increasing your potential payout. A lot of people have managed to win it big with parlay bets over the years off relatively small bets.
This type of bet sees you wagering on what you think the score is going to be at the end of the game or at some stage during the game, such as at half-time. You may try to predict the exact score, the interval scoreline or how many points a given team will score.
Biggest NFL events for placing a bet
There are a few leading NFL events each season that always present good betting opportunities. Here are the three leading options:
Super Bowl: Naturally, the Super Bowl is going to be the most popular NFL betting event of the season. This pits two teams against one another in an attempt to try to be crowned as world champion for the season. It is always one of the most bet on sporting events in the USA every year.
There are countless different betting options, with people even betting on the half-time show. All of the usual bets are popular of course, as well as the likes of the Super Bowl MVP award and the player with the most touchdowns.
AFC Championship game: The AFC Championship game is always a highly competitive affair. The likes of the New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens have all been battling it out for many years in this championship game. So much is on the line as a Super Bowl berth is at stake.
NFC Championship game: The NFC Championship game is just as important as the NFC Championship game as it gets the other team into the Super Bowl. There tend to be a lot more upsets in the NFC as opposed to the AFC where the same few teams tend to do well every year. This uncertainty always allows for a bit more excitement when it comes to your betting.
Place a bet on NFL: Step-by-Step
If you are looking to get involved with betting for NFL games, then there are a few simple steps you need to follow. This will allow you to seamlessly get your bets placed with minimal hassle.
- Step 1: Choose an operator: Your first move will be to find a good online sportsbook. There are many different variables and options to look for. BettingBilly has tons of sportsbook reviews that can help you with this decision.
- Step 2: Sign up for an account: Once you have chosen a sportsbook operator, start the registration process. This involves entering your personal info, contact info and creating new account details. You need to agree to the terms and conditions of the platform and verify your identity with proof of ID and proof of address.
- Step 3: Make a deposit: Once you have created your new sportsbook account, you should make your first deposit. If there is a welcome bonus offer, make sure to enter the bonus code at this stage if required.
- Step 4: Look at the markets: You should go to the NFL betting section of the sportsbook and educate yourself about the available options. Betting expert advice is a good idea when starting off. Billy’s List sends you free betting tips for the NFL straight to your inbox from a team of experts. You will then be ready to place your bets.
Betting for NFL for beginners: How to bet
If you are new to betting on NFL games, then you may need some introductory help to get you on the right track. Here are a few simple tips to keep in mind as you get started:
- Tip 1: Trying different betting types: As there are a few major types of NFL bets you can make, it is a good idea to test the waters with each of them. This allows you to figure out which types of bets you are more successful with and that you enjoy the most. It also adds variety to your betting, keeping everything fresh.
- Tip 2: Managing your money: When you are getting started with NFL betting, you want to be sure that you don’t blow your deposit all in one go. As you will still be learning the nuances about NFL betting, you should take things slowly and only bet small sums when starting out until you find your feet and win bets regularly.
- Tip 3: Limit your parlays: While it can be exciting trying to win a 14 selection parlay bet that will pay you out a massive sum if it is successful, there are very slim chances this will win. While you can attribute a small stake to this type of unlikely bet, smaller parlay bets with 2-5 selections are often the way to go with NFL betting to give you the chance to win. The chances of success are a lot greater and you still get decent win odds.
- Tip 4: Get expert advice: When you are learning the ropes, it can be a bit overwhelming when you are faced with tons of different decisions and spread. Billy’s List is an email list that sends you experts sports picks for NFL games straight to your inbox. It is free to sign up for.
- Tip 5: Don’t forget about live betting: Live betting is a great way to react to the changing circumstances of an NFL game. If it is clear that a certain trend is emerging while watching the game, you can try to use this to your advantage while betting as it happens.
Betting for NFL for professionals: How to bet
There are a lot of people that make a full time living from betting on NFL games. Over the years, they have managed to develop their strategies and learn how to minimize risk and consistently from the sport. Here are some of the policies that experienced NFL bettors follow:
- Diversification: Experienced NFL bettors tend to be flexible in their approach and tailor the types of bets they use depending on the give matchups. For some fixtures, it may be more suitable to look at moneylines, while others will be better suited for correct score markets. Having the flexibility to use different betting types means that you can effectively adapt to different circumstances.
- Always monitoring the latest developments: Experienced bettors are switched on every daily, keeping an ear to the ground about the latest injury news. These changes may come early in the week and not always get picked up by the sportsbooks. This gives you a chance to potentially get an edge on the odds that are currently offered.
- Shopping around: Experienced sports bettors know that even the smallest changes in the odds you are getting when placing a bet can make a big difference to long-term returns. This is why they usually have accounts with all of the leading sports betting sites in the market, so they always get the best odds available for a given bet.
Betting for NFL: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
As you have seen, the NFL is massively popular and it is enjoyed by millions of people every year. There are so many great opportunities for you to try out, with the sportsbook comparison tool allowing you to find an option that is a good fit for you. Signing up for an account only takes a matter of minutes, so what are you waiting for?
Most operators will offer new signups the chance to avail of a standard welcome bonus offer, usually some sort of a free bet deal. They will also normally have regular promotions for NFL games on a weekly basis. This could be parlay insurance where you will get your stake back if only one selection on your parlay bet is a loser.
There are many great sportsbooks on the market today that have in-depth NFL betting offerings. You can use the operator comparison tool to see which option will be best suited to your needs and to see what options are available for you to use in your given state.
Yes, most sportsbooks will have a mobile app that you can use or simply allow you to place bets through your mobile’s web browser. This means that you can place bets no matter where you are in the state, providing you with great flexibility. The same types of bets are normally available on mobile devices as will be available on desktop computers.
There are different rules depending on what state you are in. Some states may not allow you to bet on home state teams. There are always going to be age limits in place. A lot of states will require you to bet at least 18 years old to place an NFL bet, while some states you need to be 21 years old. Use the Betting Billy state checker tool to see what the rule in your state may be.
You should be flexible in your approach when it comes to NFL betting as this will boost your chances of getting a strong return rather than focusing on just a few options. One pitfall that some beginner sports bettors make is always betting on their favorite team. Emotion can often cloud judgement when doing so, which is why it can be best that you avoid doing so.