How to bet on MLB in 2022
Major League Baseball (MLB) is the oldest of the major sports leagues in the United States that includes the likes of the NFL, NBA and NHL. There are 30 teams that take part in the MLB baseball season each year. While many of the game’s superstars over the years have been embroiled in scandals, MLB is still massively popular across the world and it provides countless sports betting opportunities for baseball bettors. If you are looking to get started with betting on baseball games, this guide will walk you through the process of doing so in a step by step manner.
Betting on MLB: The basics
If you are new to sports betting on MLB games, there may be a few different matters you want to understand before diving head first. The MLB has been around since 1907 and the league has gone from strength to strength over the years. The best players in baseball play in the MLB, with those who are striving to do the same coming through Minor League Baseball most of the time.
There have been notable match-fixing and doping scandals over the years that have smeared the sport. Currently, 90 USA teams and one Canadian team make up the MLB, with each team playing 162 games in the regular season. Five teams from each of the sports leagues will go to a post season event that has four rounds that ends with the World Series.
This is a best of seven games series with the ultimate winners being crowned as world champion. As there are tons of statistics associated with the game of baseball, this can drift into MLB betting. You have tons of different betting markets that allow baseball bettors to focus on certain teams and players. One of the most popular types is over/under baseball betting.
Types of Bets in MLB
While there are tons of different betting markets for MLB games, these can often be boiled down into a few general categories. These are the most popular forms of betting that you will come across in the sport.
A moneyline bet is the most basic form of sports wagering that you will come across. This normally is betting on what team you think is going to win a given game. In its most basic form, it will be whatever team will win the game without any form of spread being applied to the odds. It is popular to make mismatched games more competitive for bettors by applying a spread, evening out the lines odds.
This makes it viable to place bets on heavy favorites as there is a handicap betting attached to their score. For example, if there is a 2.5 point spread on a MLB game, this means that your selection will have to win by at least three runs in order for you to win your moneyline bet.
Futures betting allows you to bet on the future outcome of a given event happening. Futures are particularly popular before the season has begun. You can bet on what team you think is going to win the World Series come the end of the season for example or you may bet on what player you think will hit the most home runs during the season.
Prop betting is very popular in baseball due to the many different types of metrics that are used to analyze the performance of a team or a player. You can place bets on the performances of individual players during the game.
This can range from anything such as the number of strikeouts to how many runs a certain player gets or home many strikeouts there are in a given team for the game. Therefore, prop betting is particularly popular among MLB super fans who love digging deep into the figures.
Parlay betting allows you to make a combo bet that is compiled of a number of different selections. The odds for each of the selections are multiplied with one another to create a single bet. A parlay bet needs to have at least two selectness and can have as many as you want for most sportsbooks.
While there is going to be a higher risk of losing with each additional selection you add to the parlay, the reward will also be higher. Many people have won life changing sums over the years through MLB parlay betting that have come good.
Scorecast bets involve the final score of a given MLB game. This might be the correct final score of the game or the win margin. You may bet on how many runs will be seen by a given inning for example. This is another popular way to bet on MLB games.
Biggest MLB events for placing a bet
There are a few popular MLB events each year that attract a lot of attention from sports bettors. Here are some of the leading options.
American League Championship Series
This is a best of seven games series that provides one half of the World Series final pairing. The winners of the two American League Division series battle it out in this game. The prize on offer is the American League pendant and a place in the World Series.
The New York Yankees holds the record for the most ALS appearances by a given team. There have been a number of major rivalries in this fixture, with the Houston Astros and New York Yankees being one of those in recent years.
National League Championship Series
This is a best of seven games series that sees the winners of the two National League Division Series fighting it out for the League pendant and a place in the World Series. The St. Louis Cardinals hold the record for the most appearances in this game, closely followed by the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Chicago Cubs and the Los Angeles Dodgers have had some fierce battles in this game in recent years.
The World Series pits the winner of the National League Championship Series against the victor of the American League Championship Series. It was first played back in 1903 and this is a best of seven game series.
The winner will be presented with the Commissioner’s Trophy and usually takes place during the fall. The New York Yankees holds the record for the most World Series wins, having won 27 titles and played in 40 series. Next on the list is the St. Louis Cardinals with 11 World Series titles.
Place a bet on MLB: Step-by-Step
If you are ready to get started with MLB betting, then here is a step by step guide to walk you through the process. It will only take you a few minutes to get started and be able to place your sports bets.
- Step 1: Select a sportsbook: You will need to list your priorities in a sports betting site. A useful tool to use is the BettingBilly sportsbook comparison tool. You can quickly and easily compare the different available sportsbooks in your state and see what would be a good fit.
- Step 2: Register: When you have decided on what sportsbook you are going to use, then you can sign up for an account. This will take a few minutes and you need to enter all relevant contact info and personal info, as well as confirming you agree with the terms and conditions.
- Step 3: Verify your account: Before you can start making bets on MLB games, you need to verify your new account. This means providing a copy of some photo ID and some proof of address. This ensures that you are who you say you are and are old enough to use the site.
- Step 4: Add funds: You are now ready to add funds to your new account and get started betting. There will often be a bonus code you can enter when making this initial deposit that will allow you to take advantage of some form of bonus offer. Forgetting to enter this bonus code will mean that you will be forfeiting the bonus.
Betting on MLB for beginners: How to bet
As soon as you have started your new sports betting account, you will then want to learn the ropes for betting on MLB games. As a beginner, there can be a lot to take in, so this guide looks at some simple tips to keep in mind when getting started.
- Tip 1: Avoid betting on your favorite team: A lot of people have a close affiliation to their favorite MLB team. This can cloud their judgment when it comes to games where this team is playing. Beginners find it hard to separate motions from the equation so it is best usually not bet on games involving your favorite team.
- Tip 2: Try everything: As you get started with MLB betting, you should try all of the different types of betting markets to see what is the best fit for your needs. You want to have fun while betting, with certain betting types enhancing the viewing experience for MLB games.
- Tip 3: Don’t bet on every game: While it can be easy to try to bet every game in a given week, this will quickly drain your bankroll and you spread yourself thin. Instead, pick a handful of games and focus your attention there. You can see what works and what you can do better next week with your bets if they were not successful.
- Tip 4: Don’t do outrageous parlays: While large parlays can be fun, they should not form most of your betting. These have very low probabilities of winning, with sportsbooks usually making a lot of money from these bets. Instead, if you are parlay betting, three or four selections should be the most you bet if you are looking to consistently profit.
- Tip 5: Access expert picks: The Billy’s List is a free to sign up for email service that sends MLB picks straight to your email inbox. These picks show you how to bet on MLB games and what sorts of odds you should be looking at.
Betting on MLB for professionals: How to bet
There are a lot of professionals who make a lot of money from their MLB betting. They have figured out what works for them. Here are some strategies that can be implemented across the board to hopefully improve your chances of being a profitable MLB bettor:
- Narrowing your focus: Experienced bettors know what types of bets usually are the most profitable for them. This will be different for each person, but they know that they need to be focusing on their strengths rather than their weaknesses.
- Doing their homework: Experienced bettors look to get an edge in any way possible. This means narrowing their focus and watching all of the games for a given division or staying up to date with the latest trades, injuries and off the field issues. All this information can be valuable when making selections.
- Getting the best odds: Experienced bettors know that even small differences in odds with every bet will add up significantly over time. Therefore, they usually have accounts with all of the leading sportsbooks so they can access the best odds for every given bet that they are placing.
Betting on MLB: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
The process of getting started with MLB betting couldn’t be easier. All you need to do is choose an operator, with the BettingBilly sportsbook comparison tool being a great help in this matter. Then you can set up the account in just a few minutes and start placing bets on the best MLB games.
There is no one MLB betting site that stands out from the rest. Some may have more extensive betting markets for every game, while others may generally have better odds. Whatever the case may be, it is worth trying out all of the leading options and seeing what fits your eye the best.
This is not a one size fits all solution either. Generally, you will have some sportsbooks that have better all round MLB betting odds than others. However, for a given game there may be another operator that has the best odds. This is why a lot of bettors have accounts with a variety of sportsbooks.
When you register for an account for the first time, there will almost always be a welcome bonus offer you can get. This will normally be in the form of a free bet offer that allows you to quickly get your account started on the right foot. Sometimes there will be regular promotions for MLB betting, such as parlay insurance.
This will vary depending on who you are asking the question. Some people like simply betting on the winner of the game, while others lie to combine numerous selections into one parlay bet. Others just like to focus on the performance of a particular player through prop betting.
You will need to offer some photo ID, such as a driver’s license or a passport, as well as recent proof of address like a bank statement or a utility bill. Some operators will process these documents automatically straight away, while others will need to manually approve them through a member of staff.