How to Bet Over/Under on College Basketball in 2021
College basketball has something special about it. It is not like the professionals in the NBA where they are playing for a paycheck every week. The players in college basketball are playing for their schools, with most of these players never going on to play at a professional level and they do not get paid for their efforts. While the players change from year to year, the rivalries between the big teams remain the same.
The prestige of March Madness is always still there also, meaning that you are always going to have plenty of action to look forward to every spring. Betting on college basketball is very popular. One of the leading types of bets is college basketball over/under betting. This is an ideal entry point for new sports bettors and this guide walks you through the different aspects of this type of betting.
College basketball over/under betting: The Basics
College basketball in North America is organized by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The season is split into different divisions depending on the strength of the college teams. These divisions will then be divided into different conferences, which are normally organized depending on the geographical region of the teams.
College basketball players are always looking to showcase their talents with the hope that they gain the attention of an NBA team. The game themselves can be very exciting as there are often mistakes, big swings during the game and large upsets.
While the players are not as good as those in the NBA, there is something more relatable to the college basketball game. The ultimate glory for the leading teams comes in the springtime when March Madness rolls around. This is the NCAA tournament that is single elimination and has 68 teams in total that are part of this event. Whatever teams are left standing by the end of the tournament will be the NCAA champion for that year.
For college basketball betting, over/unders and spread bets are some of the most popular betting types. This is ideal for casual and experienced bettors alike. All you need to do is decide if you think the given outcome of the event will be over or under the spread determined by the sportsbook. It is a great way to get in on some action for these games. Here are some other popular forms of basketball betting:
Examples for college basketball over/under betting
If you are placing college basketball over/under picks, then you will need to select what game and type of over/under bet you are looking at. Say it is a college basketball over/under market for the winning margin of the game between Duke and North Carolina.
The winning margin over/under determined by the sportsbook is 4.5 points. This means that if a team gets the win by at least 5 points that the over option is a win. The odds for over and under occurring are both evens for the sake of this example.
Winning Example of college basketball over/under betting
If you bet $20 on the over option in this instance and Duke wins the game by 8 points, this means that your bet is a winner. You will win a $20 profit, as well as getting back your $20 stake.
Losing Example of college basketball over/under betting
If you bet $20 on the under option and Duke wins the game by two points, this means that your bet is a loser. You will lose your $20 bet and not get any return.
Biggest basketball events for college basketball over/under betting
Every season, there are many great rivalries that are renewed in the college basketball game, as well as having the big tournament come the end of the season. These are always betting opportunities that get a lot more attention than other games during the season. Here are some of those leading games and events every year:
March Madness is a single elimination event that sees 68 teams battle it out to be ultimately crowned as the NCAA champion for the year. Some of the teams get automatic qualification depending on their standings in the normal season, while others get invites for their performances during the year.
This is one of the biggest betting sporting events each year in the United States. The likes of over/under betting are very popular, as well as having people trying to correctly predict the different bracket options with their picks.
Indiana vs Purdue
This Big Ten rivalry has a lot of history attached to it in a region where basketball reigns supreme. There have been a lot of controversial incidents in these games during the years. This fixture is protected each season, meaning that the two schools will get to host this game at their home court every season.
Kansas vs Kansas State
This is a massive rivalry that dates back many decades. The Jayhawks are well on top in terms of the all-time heads to head record. However, the Wildcats have also had periods of dominance in this fixture. In recent years, it has been heating up again and looks to continue for some years.
Place a bet on college basketball: Step-by-Step
Now that you have an idea what to expect with college basketball betting, you can get started placing your over/under bets. While there are different strategies involved, you have to lay the foundations before you can place your bets. Here is a simple step by step process of how to kick off your betting:
- Step 1: Find a sportsbook: Starting off, you will need to determine the best sportsbook for you. Figure out what you want in a sportsbook and use this to narrow down the list. You can also use the BettingBilly sportsbook comparison tool to find a good site for you.
- Step 2: Sign up: Create your account with this sportsbook. You’ll need to enter info such as personal details, contact info and setting a password and username. You’ll also need to provide some proof of address and photo ID.
- Step 3: Conduct a deposit: You can now add some money into this new account. There are normally a few different transaction options with different processing times. If there is a welcome bonus code make sure to enter it at this stage.
- Step 4: Get betting: You should now look at the available college basketball over/under betting options and see what bet is a good one after conducting your research. Just click on the selection and select how much money you are placing on it.
College basketball over/under betting for beginners: How to bet
As a beginner, there are a few fundamentals that can be very helpful when it comes to college basketball over/under betting or just betting in general. While you can often learn these lessons yourself by making mistakes, it can save you time and money if you get them down quickly. Here are some beginner tips to keep in mind:
- Tip 1: Identify trends: You want to spot some trends that you will be able to exploit with your betting. While this can take some work, it will pay off. This does not have to be a trend about the teams or players, it could relate to the time zone or the referee for example. There are tons of different ways you can use to find an edge.
- Tip 2: Filter info: Not all info is going to be relevant to your sports betting. You should filter out any data that is not relevant or that could be flawed. Try to get your data also from a few different sources rather than relying on just a single source.
- Tip 3: Specialization: when you are a beginner, you don’t want to be betting on all sorts of different games. Instead, you should focus on a given region or conference. This allows you to learn more about these teams and makes it easier to stay up to date on your research and latest info.
- Tip 4: Avoid your favorite team: You may be a big fan of a given college basketball team, but you should avoid betting on them. This adds extra stress and your judgement can often be clouded by emotion when it comes to this team. Emotion is to be avoided at all costs when making sports bets if you want to win.
- Tip 5: Work with expert picks: By getting an expert on board to show you what types of bets, odds and stakes you should be making is a great way to learn the ropes and know what it takes to win. Billy’s List is an expert picks service that is free to sign up for and get the picks delivered straight to your email.
College basketball over/under betting for professionals: How to bet
Many people make a full-time living from sports betting picks. They are able to consistently return a profit and minimize their losses. Each will have a distinct strategy, but there are some common trends that can be observed that you can implement into your own betting:
- Get the lowest odds: By having the best price for every single bet, you will be maximizing your winnings. This adds up significantly in the long run. You can do this by having an account with every sportsbook in your state.
- Find value: With college basketball over/under betting, a lot of the bigger teams are overvalued and a lot of people bet on them at prices and spread that are not accurate in reality. This can often present you with great opportunities. Keep an eye out for some spread bets and over/unders that seem to be out of place just because one sports team is a fan favorite.
- Watch plenty of basketball: By watching plenty of college basketball, you will pick up on nuances that can add to your sports betting. This is particularly the case if you are going to be taking part in live betting.
College basketball over/under betting: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
There are great ways to get involved in college basketball betting, none more so than over/under betting. All you need to do in order to get started is find an online sportsbook and sign up for a new account. You can use the BettingBilly sportsbook comparison tool to do just that. What are you waiting for?
Most sportsbooks will offer you a variety of different NBA and college basketball betting over/under betting options. These could be for the winning margin of the game, the number of points a team or player is going to score or how many ejections there might be in a game for example. This means that there are plenty of different over/under opportunities.
Most types of bonuses will be welcomed if you are betting on college basketball games. Free bets are nice and versatile, allowing you to keep the winnings of these bets. Enhanced prices are useful for boosting your odds to win a given event and parlays insurance is a nice way to add an extra layer of protection to these multi-bets.
You will come across some sportsbooks that always have a great offering for college basketball. However, even if they have a great range of markets and a lot of support for these markets doesn’t mean that they are going to have very low odds. Therefore, you should have accounts with all leading sportsbooks if you want to get the lowest odds.
There are a lot of instances where bettors can get too greedy and try to place an over/under bet on an overinflated market for bigger odds. While the winnings will be larger, over time it is likely that you will lose more money than you win on these types of risky bets. It is better doing your research and having a margin of safety when it comes to the odds you are betting.
A lot of sportsbooks will give a welcome bonus deal to new players. To activate this deal, a lot of the time you will need to enter a bonus code when you are creating your new account or when you are making your first deposit. Failure to enter this code will mean that you will not be able to get your bonus deal.