How to bet on College Football Spreads in 2020
There is a lot to be excited about when it comes to NCAA college football. You have the leading young players in the nation coming together to represent their storied schools in an effort to leave a lasting legacy. A lot of these players also have a dream of making it to the NFL. While not all of them will make it to the big leagues, they will leave nothing on the field in their quest. As a result of the large number of NCAA college football that take place each week during the season, you will never be short of betting opportunities. There are many different betting types that are popular with college football, such as over/under betting and college football spreads. Whatever the case may be, you can take a flexible approach to your betting. This guide looks specifically at college football spreads, showing you the ins and outs of these markets.
- College football spreads: The basics
- Examples of college football spreads betting
- Biggest college football events for betting
- Placing a bet on college football: Step-by-Step
- College football spreads betting for beginners: How to bet
- College football spreads betting for professionals: How to bet
- College football spreads betting: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
College football spreads: The basics
College football is one of the best ways to enjoy football. While the NFL teams and players will be bigger, faster, stronger and more skilled, there is something endearing about the college football games. These players are still developing their craft, which means that mistakes are inevitable. This can lead to more excitement in these games, as they can change on a dime. The players are looking to impress the NFL scouts, so everyone is trying their heart out every week.
NCAA college football is split into different divisions, with each division also being divided into separate conferences. The SEC conference has been one of the most dominant in the NCAA in recent years. While college football betting is not as popular as betting on NFL games, there is still a lot of interest.
People like having a bit of action on the outcome of a given game that they are watching. They can place bets before the games begin or do so during the game itself. Live betting is a very popular aspect of online betting.
In terms of different betting markets, college football spreads are one of the most popular. This is a form of handicap betting whereby you can bet on a strong favorite of a game and still get decent odds by applying a significant handicap to the game. The spread will be determined by the given sportsbook that you are using and you can decide if you think the favorite will beat the spread or fail to cover it. Here are some other popular football betting markets to consider:
- College football betting & NCAAF betting
- College football over/under betting
- NFL betting
- Pro football spread betting
- Pro football over/under betting
Examples of college football spreads betting
If Clemson are playing Alabama and the spread by the given sportsbook has been set at Alabama -2.5 points. This means that Alabama needs to win the game by a score of at least 3 points if your bet is to be successful if you back Alabama to win at +110.
Winning example of college football spreads betting
If you think Alabama is going to cover the spread, you bet $10 on this result. With Alabama winning the game by 7 points, you will get your $10 stake returned to you, as well as a profit win of $11. Your total return for this bet is $21.
Losing example of college football spreads betting
If you think that Alabama is going to beat the spread but they fail to do so because they only won by 1 point, you will lose your $10 stake and will not win any return.
Biggest college football events for betting
There are plenty of exciting college football games every season. Some of these games are massive local rivalries, such as in-state teams playing one another. Other times it is simply the best teams in the country going against one another. Here are three of the biggest college football events for you to bet on:
National championship game
The national championship game will see the best college football team crowned as the ultimate champion for the season. There are four teams that are seeded in a play-off system. The fourth seed team will play the first seed team, with the third seed team playing the fourth seed team. Whichever of these teams win the games will make it to the championship game. The likes of Alabama and Clemson have been dominant in this game in recent years.
The NCAA college football Rose Bowl game takes place every year, usually on New Year’s Day. It takes place in Pasadena, California and is the oldest bowl game that is still active. The first game as part of the Rose Bowl was held in 1902. Usually, the champions of the Pac-12 and Big Ten conferences will battle it out in this bowl game. It is one of the biggest events in the college football season every year.
The Fiesta Bowl takes place every year in Phoenix, Arizona. It started in 1971 and its appeal has been regularly growing. It is one of the major bowl games every year and a selection committee usually decides what teams will battle it out for this title. Some of the winners in recent years include the likes of Clemson, LSU, Penn State and Ohio State. This showcases the quality of winners of this prestigious title.
Placing a bet on college football: Step-by-Step
If you want to begin with college football spreads betting, then you will need to set up your own betting account. You can do so by following just handful of steps that are outlined below:
- Step 1: Find a sportsbook: You can use the Betting BIlly state checker tool in order to see what licensed football betting sites are on offer in your given state. You can then decide what option looks to be the best fit for your specific needs and preferences.
- Step 2: Create an account: You will then need to start up your new sports betting account. To do so, just follow the steps that are outlined, entering personal info, creating a username, setting a password and agreeing the terms and conditions. You also need to verify your identity by providing a copy of photo ID and proof of address.
- Step 3: Add some money: You should then add some money to this new sportsbook account. Only deposit what you are happy to lose and choose one of the listed payment methods. Sometimes there is a bonus code you need to enter when making your first deposit in order to trigger the welcome bonus offer.
- Step 4: Start betting: You can now take a look at the different college football betting markets. Choose a given game and market that looks appealing to you. Add the selection to the betslip and outline how much you want to bet on this event.
College football spreads betting for beginners: How to bet
As a beginner with college football betting, there can be a lot to take in. There is a lot to learn and get used to if you have no prior experience. Here are some of the key steps that can help you learn the basics:
- Tip 1: Narrow your focus: It is always a good idea to narrow your focus and only bet on those games that are in a certain conference or only bet on certain teams. This allows you to not spread yourself thin and to start building up a knowledge of the players in these teams and conferences.
- Tip 2: Experiment: It is a good idea to try out different types of betting. This includes having a look at college football spreads and over/under options. This gives you more flexibility in your betting approach.
- Tip 3: Learn from the best: By having a look at what experience sports bettors are doing with their college football betting is a great way to quickly build up your skill base. Billy’s List is a sports picks service that is free to sign up for and sends you great NFL predictions and NCAAF picks straight to your inbox.
- Tip 4: Manage your bankroll: It is a good idea to have a plan in place as to how much you are going to spend betting on college football in a given week. You don;’t want to blow your whole balance straight away. Place some smaller bets and learn from your mistakes and still have money left over to put this advice into effect the following week.
- Tip 5: Plenty of research: You can learn a lot by researching the college football teams and players. You may find out a nugget of knowledge that could present a lucrative betting opportunity. There are plenty of resources out there to help you with this process.
College football spreads betting for professionals: How to bet
There are people out there who manage to make a lot of money from their college football betting. They are able to consistently put into practice their proven techniques to make money. Here are some commonalities that can be seen between these bettors:
- Obtaining the best odds: The easiest way to make more money from your betting is by always placing your bets with sportsbooks that offer the best odds. Pro bettors will have accounts with all of the leading sportsbooks, so they can get the best odds for every single bet that they are making.
- Placing bets early: As there is not as much money going to college football betting compared to NFL betting, the odds for college football markets are going to be more reactive, with the odds decreasing when a lot of money is placed on them. Therefore, experienced bettors placing their bets as soon as the odds go live in a given week, making sure that they can get the best possible price for their bets.
- Always adapting: Experienced bettors are aware of the latest techniques and betting types that they may be able to use as part of their strategy. Having an open mind can lead to great results over time.
College football spreads betting: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
College football has a massive fan base and the games are always a great spectacle. You may want to bet on your favorite team or simply want to make a bit of money. Whatever the case may be, there are plenty of great football betting sites that you can sign up for in just a couple of minutes. What are you waiting for?
This will depend on what state you are in when you are trying to place your bet. Some states will have a rule where you need to be at least 18 years old, with others requiring you to be 21 years old. Use the Betting Billy state checker tool to see what the rules are for your state.
Most states that offer legal sports betting will offer betting on college football. There are some states that may not allow you to place bets on games that involve teams from your own state or on games that are taking place inside state lines. However, this is not the case with all states.
Mobile sports betting is exploding in popularity. Having the ability to place sports bets when you are on the go is ideal. You might be at the bar or lying in bed, you can still get your bets placed. Some sportsbooks have apps for you to download or else you can go to their site through your mobile’s web browser.
Most sportsbooks will have welcome offers for people who are signing up for the first time. These are a way for sportsbooks to attract new players. You can get the likes of free bets through these offers but you should always read the terms and conditions of the deal before you commit to anything.
A lot of betting sites offer in-play betting or a variety of sports. While it is not as popular for college football games, it is still an option in a lot of states. This allows you to react to what you are seeing when watching a game, placing a bet with the hope of taking advantage of some sort of trend that you are seeing.