How to bet on Esports in 2022
Esports is one of the fastest growing sports in the world today. In this digital age, there are tons of opportunities for new sports to emerge. Video gaming is one of the most popular pastimes of countless people across the world, with the competitive side of these games being extremely impressive. Many different video games are played competitively on the biggest stages, attracting a lot of fans and prize money. This presents betting opportunities for fans. If you are interested in esports betting, you can check out the rest of this guide to see what the best strategies are for over/under betting on these events.
Esports betting: The basics
Esports is a relatively new phenomenon that is becoming massively popular. Esports events see players coming together to battle it out competitively playing video games. There are many popular esports games that are competitive, such as CS:GO, Call of Duty, Overwatch, Starcraft and League of Legends (LoL).
Esports is starting to rival traditional sports in terms of its fan base and the profile of its players. The leading esports have massive prize purses on offer, with many of the top players now being household names across the world.
Esports first started taking off in Asia, with the profile of the events now exploding in the likes of Europe and North America. Most of these events are live streamed online through the likes of Twitch and Youtube, allowing fans to keep up to date with their favorite players and teams.
As the profile of these events has grown, so too have the betting opportunities. While a lot of popular sports betting sites were not very familiar with esports betting, there is a growing demand. You’ll now find a lot of different esports covered on some popular esports gambling sites, as well as a range of markets for these events, including over/under markets.
The gaming markets will range from traditional forms of betting like a team winning a game or go more specific for how many kills a certain player may get during the course of the series. As times goes on, esports betting is only going to become more popular.
Examples for esports betting
In order to get a better idea of esports betting, here is an example showcasing a winning and a losing bet. The market in question is for a Call of Duty gaming series between OpTic Gaming and Faze and it looks at the winning margin of the game, which has been set at 2.5 games.
Winning example of esports betting
If you believe that Faze is going to win the best of five series by at least 2.5 games, you will bet the over on this market. If the odds are 11/10 and you bet $10, you will be getting a total return of $21 if Faze win by three games or more. This breaks down to $11 profit and your $10 stake being returned to you.
Losing example of esports betting
If you believe that Faze is going to win the best of five series by at least 2.5 games, you will bet the over on this market. If the odds are 11/10 and you bet $10 but this event does not materialize, then you will lose your $10 and get no return at all.
Biggest esports events for placing an Over/Under bet
There are many popular esports to look at, with some being on console and others focusing on PC. Whatever the case may be, you have tons of choice available to you. However, every year there are some big esports events that stand out from the rest in terms of the prize money, fan interest and attracting the best players in the world. Here are three of those events:
Fortnite World Cup
Fortnite took the world by storm over the past couple of years. Everything seemed to be playing this battle royale title that was free-to-play. Everyone from rappers like Drake to major sports stars in the NFL and NBA were battling it out on this game. The best of the best in the esport come together for the Fortnite World Cup.
For the renewal of this event in 2019 the prize pool was a massive $100 million. Epic Games, the developer of the game, organizes this event and no teams or franchises can buy their way into the event, entry is solely based on merit through qualification events.
Dota 2 is another very popular esport and The International is the world championship tournament that takes place each year for the game. It attracts a massive audience and everyone is vying for a place in the field.
For the 2019 event, the prize pool totaled $34 million, with the winners getting a whopping $15 million. The developer of the game, Valve Corporation is in charge of running this event and it is going from strength to strength every year.
League of Legends World Championship
League of Legends was one of the original esports games to really take off on the competitive scene. It is popular all over the world, with its fan base being one of the biggest in esports today.
Almost 100 million people watched the 2018 event and the success of this event has led a push for esports to become a part of the Olympics. This competition changes its venue from year to year. Usually, there are 24 teams coming from 14 different countries that take part in this event each year.
Placing an Over/Under bet on esports: Step-by-Step
If you are looking to get started with esports betting, there are a few key steps that you need to follow in order to get started. Here is a simple list of what you can do to get up and running today:
- Step 1: Find an esports betting site: You will need to check out a list of the best esports betting sites in the USA. You can then check out expert reviews of these platforms and see what is the best fit for your needs.
- Step 2: Sign up for an account: Once you have chosen an esports betting site, you can then sign up for an account in just a few minutes. All you need to do is add in the usual personal information, as well as provide proof of address and ID.
- Step 3: Make a deposit: You will then be ready to make your first deposit to your new account. Make sure that you are aware of any welcome bonus offer that you can avail of before making this first deposit. Sometimes, you will need to enter a bonus code when making your first deposit in order to trigger the offer.
- Step 4: Start betting: Now that you have funds in your account, you can check out the selection of different esports gambling options. Find a bet that makes sense to you, add it to your betslip and decide how much you are going to wager. Then you can sit back and watch the event to see if your bet is successful.
Esports betting for beginners: How to bet
If you are just getting started with esports betting, it can be a bit intimidating if you do not have much knowledge. Here are a few tips that can help you when starting off with your betting:
- Tip 1: Learn the ropes: If you are not very familiar with betting or using online platforms, you should take the time to explore it and learn all of the different features that are available to you. This will help you avoid making any simple, but costly mistakes.
- Tip 2: Start with what you know: When starting out, you should stick to betting on those esports that you have some experience with. This may be playing experience or watching competitive events. This can allow you to make somewhat better decisions for your bets.
- Tip 3: Watch plenty of action: A great way to improve your chances of being successful with esports betting is building up your knowledge. You can watch free live streams for most events, allowing you to spot trends and good players and teams that could come in handy when betting in the future.
- Tip 4: Work with experts: It is often a good idea to get some advice from expert esports bettors. This allows you to see what types of bets you should be making. Billy’s List is a free service that sends you expert sports picks straight to your inbox.
- Tip 5: Use all bonus offers you can: Welcome bonuses and regular promotions are an ideal way to boost your account balance and to help you work on your betting ability without having to risk too much of your own money. If the bonus money is on offer, you should take advantage of it if it is available to you.
Esports betting for professionals: How to bet
There are a lot of people out there today who make a full time living from gambling on sports. While esports betting is relatively new, there are now people who are carving out a nice living for themselves. Here are a few tips from these experts:
- Taking advantage of mismatching knowledge: A lot of sports betting sites do not have much expertise in esports. This means that there are often mismatched odds. You may spot a lot of value for a given bet because it has been mispriced by a site. You can then take advantage of this over time.
- Learning from mistakes: Gambling experts make mistakes, they are not guaranteed to win every single bet that they place. If they have a losing bet, they will look to see what is wrong and what they could change to improve their chances of being successful the next time.
- Find a niche: A lot of experts only focus on a couple of different esports rather than spreading themselves too thin. This allows them to become much more knowledgeable and a shorter space of time, giving them an edge on the betting sites.
Esports betting: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
As you have seen, esports betting is one of the fastest growing areas around today. If you are a fan of esports, you should definitely put your expertise to the test and be in with a chance of winning some money. Signing up for an account takes just a few minutes and you have some exciting bonus offers waiting for you.
Across the United States, the gambling laws differ on a state by state basis. To see what the rules are for your given state, you can use the BettingBilly state checker tool. Some states do not allow esports betting at all, while others do. As esports becomes more popular, so will esports betting.
This will depend on what state you are going to be placing your bets. You will certainly need to be at least 18 years old, as there is no state where you can legally place sports bets at a younger age than that. Some states will require you to be at least 21 years old. You can use the BettingBilly state checker tool to see what the rules are in your state.
Most esports events will be streamed live for free through the likes of Twitch and Youtube. Some esports betting sites will even have live streaming available for you directly through their platform. This allows you to stay up to date with the action and to develop your knowledge of the given esport.
Yes, most esports betting sites around today have a mobile app or allow you to access the platform through your device’s web browser. This means that you will be able to place esports bets no matter where you are in your state if mobile sports betting is legal. This makes it extremely convenient.
This list is constantly growing and it will also depend on what betting site you are using. Some betting sites will have an extensive range of different esports, while others will only offer a handful of the most popular events. This is why you need to do your research before signing up for a betting site.