How to bet on Horse Racing in 2021
Across the world, horse racing has millions of fans. It is one of the oldest sports and it is a sport that brings together humans and animals in the quest of getting past the finish line before the rest of the competition. The sport has evolved over the years and comes in different forms. It is massively popular in a diverse range of countries, from the UK and Ireland to France, Dubai, Australia and the United States. There are many major horse racing betting events that take place each season that capture the attention of casual fans. This is a horse betting how to guide, providing you with a proper insight into horse betting strategy and everything you need to know about getting started with online horse betting.
Horse betting: The basics
There has been horse racing taking place since ancient times. There was racing taking place in Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece, Egypt, Babylon and Syria. There is a lot of myth and legend around the sport, more than any other. Chariot racing in particular was very popular in these times. It was in later years that thoroughbred racing became popular among the royalty and aristocrats in Britain.
There are a few different types of horse racing taking place these days. Flat racing sees horses galloping directly from the start line to the finish line either on an oval or straight track without having to negotiate any hurdles. Jumps racing is sometimes called steeplechasing or National Hunt racing and it sees the horses having to jump over obstacles.
Harness racing is an evolution of chariot racing, with the horse pulling a sulky. Despite advances in recent years, there is a lot of danger involved in horse racing. A lot of horses die every year as result of racing injuries and falls, with jockeys also often suffering very significant injuries.
Horse racing is big business, whether it is the breeding, training or racing side of the sport. This is why there is so much interest in horse racing odds and online horse racing. People are always looking to put their money on the line when watching these races with the hope of having a profitable experience. There are all sorts of popular types of bets, but the basics of winner and each way bets usually come out on top with horse racing gambling.
Examples of horse betting
You are betting on a race where a horse that you like has odds of +1200 to win and the sportsbooks is paying out a place bet for 3 places at 1/4 odds. If you place an each way bet of $5, this means that your total stake is going to be $10. This sees $5 being put on the place part of the bet and $5 on the win portion of the bet.
Winning example of horse betting
If the horse successfully wins the race, you will win a nice return. For the place part of the bet, you will win a profit of $15, as well as get your $5 stake back. For the win part of the bet, you will win a profit of $60 and then get your stake of $5 back. In total, your return will be $85.
Losing example of horse betting
If you place an each way bet on a horse and it doesn’t manage to finish in the top 3 places in the race, both your place and win bets will not be winners.
Biggest horse racing events for betting
There are many prestigious horse races that take place every year. These will be different depending on where in the world you are situated. The main online gambling horse racing events this guide looks at are based in North America. These three big events are:
The Kentucky Derby has been taking place since 1875 at Churchill Down in Louisville, Kentucky. It takes place over 1.25 miles and the dirt track sees the three-year-old entrants battle it out for a $3 million purse, with $1.86 million going to the winner. This race usually takes place in May as part of a two week festival and it is usually the most watched and attended race in North America every year. It is one of the races that a horse has to win to capture the Triple Crown of racing.
The Preakness Stakes is another part of the Triple Crown of racing and it was first raced in 1873. It takes place every year at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland. It is open to three-year-olds only and is the second race in the Triple Crown, usually taking place a couple of weeks after the Kentucky Derby. The prize purse is usually around the $1.5 million mark and is often the second-most watched horse race in the country.
The Belmont Stakes is the final leg of the Triple Crown and it has been taking place since 1867. It is run at Belmont Park in New York and is over a distance of 1.5 miles. It is open to three-year-olds only and the prize purse is usually $1 million. Over the years, there have been 13 winners of the Triple Crown series, claiming the tile at the Belmont Stakes in most cases. This is why the race is often called the “Test of the Champion”.
Placing a bet on horse racing: Step-by-Step
Now that you have a bit more of an insight into horse racing, you might be ready to create a sportsbook account and get started placing bets. This is an easy process and is very quick to compete. Here are those simple steps for you to follow:
- Step 1: Pinpoint a sportsbook: here are often a lot of different licensed online horse racing sportsbooks available in your stake. Betting Billy offers a state checker tool so you can see a list of these options and narrow down the list.
- Step 2: Sign up for an account: You can now create your sports betting account by entering in the key info and agreeing to the site’s terms. The final step is usually providing photo ID and proof of address to verify your account.
- Step 3: Adding money: You can now make your first deposit using one of the provided payment methods. Only deposit money that you are happy to lose and make sure that any welcome offer bonus code is entered if needed while making this first transaction.
- Step 4: Start horse race betting: You can now have a look at the myriad of horse races that are taking place on a given day and find out a potentially profitable bet. Simply add the selection to your betslip and outline how much money you want to wager on it.
Horse betting for beginners: How to bet
There are a lot of different variables to consider when it comes to horse racing. Over time, a beginner can slowly build up their knowledge. Here are some tips that hopefully can help them to get better at a faster rate:
- Tip 1: Keep it simple: When you are new with online gambling horse racing, you want to not get too complex with placing multiple horse race bets. Instead, stick to the likes of the winner and each way bets and learn the ropes that way.
- Tip 2: Watch the weather: One of the biggest factors in a horse race is often the weather and ground conditions. Horses will perform significantly differently depending on these conditions, so you always need to pick a horse for the conditions at hand.
- Tip 3: Form matters: There are a lot of different ways to gauge the chances of a horse in a given race. Recent form, course form, conditions form and distance form are just some of the important ways to assess the merits of a given horse in a race.
- Tip 4: Check out the expert picks: There are many horse racing experts out there today. You can sign up to the Billy’s List betting picks service for free, allowing you to get horse racing picks straight to your email address.
- Tip 5: Don’t spread yourself too thin: As there are so many horse racing taking place every day, it is easy to try to bet on all of these races. However, you are only quickly whittling away your money and will not be able to do as much in-depth research on each of these races.
Horse betting for professionals: How to bet
A lot of people over the years have made a lot of money from horse racing. Some of these people are consistent enough to make a full-time income out of it. Here are some of the key commonalities you often see with these bettors:
- Getting optimal odds: For experienced sports bettors, they know that the easiest thing that can be done to improve your bottom line is making sure that you are getting the highest odds for every bet that they place. This means signing up for an account with all of the major sportsbooks.
- Narrowing their focus: Professional sports bettors usually focus on certain races and back their decisions. They do not try to place bets on every race as part of a meeting.
- Do your homework: There is a lot of info out there that can help with your betting. A lot of people like to trawl social media to get potential insights into how a horse is moving before a race and this info as part of your horse betting strategy.
Horse betting: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
Signing up for horse racing betting sites takes a matter of minutes. You can then have access to horse races across the globe, bringing massive excitement to your life and having skin in the game. When signing up for one of these accounts, you can get your hands on a great welcome free bet offer to kick off the account on the right foot.
A lot of sportsbooks will offer live streaming of horse races. This will depend on the operator and sometimes you will need to place a bet on the given race before you can get access to this live stream. Watching the race adds to the whole betting experience.
There are many different bonus offers associated with horse racing. There are the usual free bets before you get into the likes of parlay insurance, enhanced prices and money back offers. All of these deals can go a long way to improving your bottom line over the long run.
This will entirely depend on your horse racing interest and experience. Some people prefer to stick only to racing that is taking place in North America while others like to sample racing from tracks all across the world. This decision is entirely down to you.
There are a lot of people who like to pace wagers on horse races after they have started. This allows you to see what horses are contending and what horses are out of the picture. You may fancy a horse making a move at a certain stage of a race and look to get a wager on this outcome happening.
Most online sportsbooks will also have a mobile offering that allows you to bet on the likes of horse racing no matter where you are. Some will offer an app that can be downloaded, while others simply allow you to place these wagers through the web browser on your device.