How to bet on MMA in 2021
MMA brings together some of the best disciplines of martial arts and fighting. Mixed martial arts has exploded in popularity in recent times, with superstars such as Conor McGregor taking the sport by storm. Hand to hand combat is one of the oldest aspects of human life and this gets people to tune in when the best fighters in the world go toe to toe against one another in the octagon. MMA betting has also taken off, as people want to have an extra piece of skin in the game when fighters are battling it out. There is a great flexibility of options for the types of MMA bets you are placing. This guide looks at all of the different aspects of MMA that you can consider.
MMA betting: The basics
MMA is sometimes called cage fighting and it sees two fighters from around the world going toe to toe in the octagon. Everything from boxing to Brazilian jiu-jitsu and wrestling has a role to play in this sport. The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is the biggest MMA organization in the world today. Most of the leading MMA fighters in the world are a part of this organization.
The UFC was first started in 1993 and after a turbulent few years, it is now one of the biggest sporting organizations in the world. There are twelve weight divisions in total and there have been more than 500 events taking place over the years. Dana White has been the man in charge of leading this growth and is one of the most recognizable figureheads in the sport.
Fighters are continually developing their own distinct styles and bringing massive excitement into the ring. This lends itself well for bettors who can check out all sorts of betting markets. This includes betting on how the fight will end, what round, and who the victor will be.
Examples of MMA betting
In this example, Conor McGregor is fighting Nate Diaz. If you think that McGregor is going to win by a knockout in the first round, the odds of this win happening will be +1200.
Winning example of MMA betting
If McGregor successfully knocks out Diaz in the first round, you will win your stake of $10 back, as well as making a profit of $120 thanks to the +1200 odds.
Losing example of MMA betting
If McGregor does not knock out Diaz in the first round, this means that you will lose the entirety of your bet.
Biggest MMA events for betting
The beauty about fighting is that there is a lot of unpredictability involved. This means that fighters may not even make it to the octagon as they could get injured in training camp or miss their target weight. There can be all sorts of reasons for stoppages during the bout itself. All of this uncertainty adds to the entire experience.
There are currently eight divisions of weights for men in the UFC and four for women. Many of the best fighters in the world battle it out in one or more of these weight classes. Here are some of the biggest and most exciting fighters in the MMA world today:
Conor McGregor fought across three different weight classes during his career and is a former UFC champion at lightweight and featherweight. He was known for his trash talking and his ability to draw crowds like no other in the sport, breaking all sorts of pay-per-view records in the process. He has retired a number of times only to come back and fight again. The Irishman has a number of losses on his record, but he still attracts the crowd with his flamboyant style.
Jon Jones is a bad boy of the UFC, having run into trouble on a lot of occasions. He is seen by many as being one of the best fighters in the history of the UFC. He has been the light heavyweight champion a lot over the years and has often been the number one pound for pound fighter as categorized by the UFC. He has lost his title a number of times for disciplinary reasons as opposed to getting beaten.
Amanda Nunes is a Brazilian fighter who is the champion of the featherweight and bantamweight divisions. She was the first ever woman to be a two-division champion in the UFC. She is also the only fighter to ever have defended both of these titles while still holding them. She is the top of the pile of the women’s MMA scene and her dominance is unparalleled.
Placing a bet on MMA: Step-by-Step
As soon as you have decided that you want to get started with some MMA betting, you can follow a few simple steps to do so. These only take a few minutes to complete, but you will then be ready to throw yourself into the deep end when getting started. Here are those steps:
- Step 1: Identifying a sportsbook: Your first port of call is deciding on a sportsbook. Check out the state checker tool at Betting Billy to do so. You can see what platforms are licensed in your region and can choose one when having a look at some objective reviews.
- Step 2: Register: You can now register for an account with this sportsbook, filling in the relevant info and complying with the terms and conditions of the site. There is a step to verify your new account by providing some proof of address and photo ID. This is necessary to comply with anti-money laundering rules.
- Step 3: Add money: You can then make your initial sportsbook deposit using any of the available payment methods. There may be the need to enter a bonus code at this stage if there is a welcome free bet offer that needs a code to activate the deal.
- Step 4: Begin wagering: Now that you have money to bet with, you can start looking for MMA betting opportunities. Once you find something that catches your eye, add it to your betslip and confirm the bet and how much you want to wager.
MMA betting for beginners: How to bet
As a beginner bettor, there are a lot of different things to consider. It can be somewhat challenging in the beginning to get to grips with everything. This is why there are some handy tips that you can follow to lessen this burden somewhat. Here are some useful tips for those beginner bettors:
- Tip 1: Experiment: When starting out with MMA betting, you should try out all of the different types of markets to see what fits your eye. You may find that you are more successful with a particular betting market than others.
- Tip 2: Watch fights: It is a good idea to watch a lot of fights with your mind thinking about betting opportunities. It can highlight trends that you may be able to take advantage of subsequently with your future bets.
- Tip 3: Avail of bonus offers: A big part about betting is minimizing your risk as much as possible. An easy way to achieve this is by accessing bonus offers that mean you are not putting as much of your real money on the line. This could be in the form of a free bet offer for example.
- Tip 4: Do plenty of research: There are many different types of specialists you will come across in MMA. Some fighters will be known for a certain style and some will have better stamina than others. All of these different factors can help guide you towards what the likely outcome of a fight will be.
- Tip 5: Get picks from the experts: As a beginner MMA bettor, knowing what markets and stakes the experts are using for their picks is a great way to build a solid foundation to your strategy. The Billy’s List is a free to sign up service that sends the likes of MMA predictions straight to your email inbox on a regular basis.
MMA betting for professionals: How to bet
MMA betting is becoming more and more popular, with a lot of experienced sports bettors turning their attention to this sport. A lot of people make a handsome living from betting and here are some of the common trends that you often see across the board with these types of people:
- Getting the highest odds: A simple way of maximizing your betting profits is by making sure that you are always getting the best odds that you possibly can. This means having an account with all of the sportsbooks in your state and shopping around for the best value odds.
- Finding a focus: Experienced bettors will often become very strong at one particular area of betting and focus on that. This allows them to build up their knowledge and to consistently perform well with their MMA betting picks.
- Reflecting: One of the traits of a good sports bettor is being able to look at their losses in an objective manner and to see if there can be any learning lessons taken from this experience.
MMA betting: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
There are many great MMA betting sites on the market today. You can quickly find one that tickles your fancy and signing up just takes a handful of minutes. You will then be well on your way to placing bets on your favorite fighters and adding even more excitement to the viewing experience of these fights.
With MMA betting, you have the ability to place bets before the fight begins and during the fight itself. This allows you to adapt to changing conditions in the fight. You may spot something that could present a betting picks opportunity during the fight and look to take advantage of this.
This depends on what state you are in, as states will have different requirements. Some states in the country need you to be at least 18 years old to place sports bets, while others this age will rise to 21 years old. Whatever the case may be in your state, you can use the state checker tool to find the answer for yourself.
In this day and age, mobile sports betting has never been more popular. Having the ability to place bets on the go is a massive advantage and something that tons of people do on a regular basis. No matter if you are at a bar or at home, you can use your mobile device to simply place these bets.
This will depend on the individual. Some people simply like betting on who they think will be the winner of a given fight, while others like to try to predict what round and who the fight will be won. There are also prop betting options such as which fighter will land the most strikes or who will have the most takedowns.
There is no one best bonus. A normal free bet offer is always going to be appreciated by bettors. Then you have the likes of money back offers, enhanced prices and parlay insurance to help you with your MMA betting experience across the board.