How to bet on NBA in 2020
The National Basketball Association (NBA) has been massively popular for many decades. It is the leading form of basketball in the world and it attracts the best of the best. Many legends of the game are household names even in non-sporting families. There are a lot of games that make up the usual NBA season, so this presents plenty of NBA online betting opportunities on a regular basis. This guide looks at the ins and outs of NBA sports betting, giving you a proper insight into how to bet on NBA games as well as what the leading sportsbooks may be.
NBA betting: The basics
The NBA was founded back in 1946 and it is currently made by 30 teams from across North America and Canada. It is one of four major professional sports leagues in the region, along with the NBA, MLB and NHL. Many people consider the NBA to be the leader of these sports due to the global appeal that the other options do not have as much.
The regular season usually takes place between October and April, with the playoffs taking place after the 82 regular season games have been played.The playoff usually finishes up in June with the NBA Championship Finals.
As there are so any games taking place during each week of the season, there are countless NBA basketball betting options to check out. The fast paced action is very exciting and leads to a lot of interesting betting opportunities.
There is a lot of live betting on these games as a result, with extensive pre-game markets also being on offer. Most sportsbooks will have a big emphasis on NBA sports betting markets, with some even live streaming games for you. Here are some other popular forms of basketball betting:
- Over/under basketball betting
- Basketball spread betting
- College basketball
- College basketball over/under betting
- NCAAB betting
Types of Bets in NBA
There are many different opportunities you will have each season to get your NBA betting fix. If you have some experience with sports betting, then you will be familiar with a lot of these betting types. Here are some of the leading options:
Moneyline betting is effectively betting on the winner of a given NBA game. There are numerous different options that come under the umbrella of moneyline betting. If you think that a given team is going to win the game, you can bet on this side in a straight moneyline bet. However one of the most popular types of NBA betting is moneyline betting when a spread is applied.
This will provide a handicap to the favorite, giving you better odds when betting on the favorite. This levels the playing field and makes it worth your while placing bets on games that are likely to be mismatches.
For example, if the Golden State Warriors are playing the Brooklyn Nets, the Warriors may have a spread of 9.5 points This means that if you bet on the Warriors in this moneyline market, you will only win this bet if the Warriors win by at least 10 points.
Futures betting allows you to bet on the odds of a given future event happening. This is popular for sports betting before the season begins in particular for what teams will win consistently and make the play-offs or what team will be the NBA champion come the end of the year.
There will also be futures sports betting for individual players, such as betting on who you think will be the NBA MVP come the end of the season or who will lead the league in scoring for example. This is always an enjoyable way to kick off the sports season.
Prop sports betting has become a lot more popular in recent years largely due to the growth in daily fantasy sports. Prop sports betting sees you betting on the outcome of a given team or player during a game. For example, you will be able to place a sports bet on how many points you think Lebron James will score in a game or how many steals another player might make. It is not necessarily linked to the final win result.
Prop betting usually provides tons of NBA betting odds options for each game and is a good way to keep your interest in a match right up until the end.
Parlay betting is another popular form of NBA betting. It allows you to combine numerous picks into a single bet. You will win this bet once every one of the picks is a winner. Otherwise, your stake will be lost.
While there will be more risk the more teams you add to this parlay bet, you will also be increasing the win odds with each selection. Many people win massive sums off relatively low stakes on NBA parlay bets. Once you have at least two picks as part of the bet it will be labelled as a parlay bet.
Scorecast bets allow you to try to predict the various scoring outcomes in a given game. This could mean trying to predict the exact final score or what it will be inside a certain range. You can bet on what the score may be at half time or after the first quarter, as well as trying to predict how many points a given player will score. These types of bets often have decent odds.
Biggest NBA events for placing a bet
There are many great games that make up the NBA season every year. These give you plenty of opportunities to place a bet on NBA games. Here are the leading events to look out for
NBA Championship Finals
This is the final series of the season that pits two teams against one another with the goal of being crowned as champion come the end of the series. The Finals pits the champion of the Eastern Conference against the champion of the Western Conference.
This series will be the best of seven games and the winner is presented with the Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy. The Boston Celtics have won the most championships in history, with the Los Angeles Lakers holding the distinction of having the most appearances in the NBA Finals.
Eastern Conference Championship Game
This is the match that will see the winner progress to the NBA Finals. There are 15 teams that make up the conference and there are three different divisions. Over the years, there have been a lot of keen rivalries that have been battled out in this game. Some of the teams over the years to dominate this conference includes the Cleveland Cavaliers, Miami Heat, Chicago Bulls and the Boston Celtics.
Western Conference Championship Game
The winner of this game will progress to the NBA Finals, with 15 teams battling it out in this conference for that distinction. Over history, many rivalries have heated up in this game, with some of the best players showcasing their talents. The Los Angeles Lakers by far has been crowned as the champion of this conference. In recent years, the likes of the Golden State Warriors and the San Antonio Spurs have also been prominent.
Place a bet on NBA: Step-by-Step
Placing a bet on an NBA game is very easy and straightforward. There are just a few steps that you need to learn and you will be ready to go. The process is pretty standard across the board no matter what sportsbook you may be using. Here are simple steps to follow to get started:
- Step 1: Choose a sportsbook: Your first step is to choose what sportsbook you are going to sign up for. There are different considerations bettors have when choosing a sportsbook. This could be getting the best odds or having certain markets or payment methods. BettingBilly’s sportsbook comparison tool can be very helpful.
- Step 2: Register: Once you have decided on a sportsbook, you can then sign up for an account. This requires you to enter your personal info, contact info and setting up a password and username. You will also need to agree to the sportsbook terms and conditions.
- Step 3: Verify your identity: A necessary step when signing up to a sportsbook is verifying your identity. This means providing proof of ID and proof of address. The approval process is pretty fast in most cases.
- Step 4: Make a deposit: Once you have set up your new sportsbook account, you can now start to add funds. You will have various payment options and make sure to enter any bonus code that is relevant when making this transaction. You will then be ready to place a bet on the best odds for a NBA game.
NBA betting for beginners: How to bet
If you are just getting started with NBA betting there may be some tips you will want to keep in mind when getting started.
- Tip 1: Don’t spread yourself thin: As each of the NBA teams plays 82 basketball games during the regular season, there are countless betting opportunities available. However, this doesn’t mean that you should be betting on every single game. You should pick and choose your bets.
- Tip 2: Betting on your favorite team: A lot of people get emotional when it comes to their favorite NBA team. This is why it is not always a good idea to place sports bets on these basketball games involving your favorite team as your decision-making can be thrown off.
- Tip 3: Betting too big: If you are a beginner, you will want to spend time learning how a sportsbook operates. You do not want to place risky, high odds bets and lose your balance too quickly.
- Tip 4: Find your specialty: When starting off NBA betting, you should try out all of the different betting types to get a feel for what you will be best suited to and what you enjoy the most.
- Tip 5: Use an expert sports picks list: Billy’s List is an expert sports betting picks service that allows you to get these tips sent straight to your email inbox for free on a regular basis.
NBA betting for professionals: How to bet
There are a lot of people who are extremely successful from betting on NBA games. They come in many different shapes and forms, with different types of strategies being used. However, there are some common signs that you can use to help out your own betting.
- Focusing on a niche: A lot of experienced NBA bettors will focus on a given NBA conference or certain betting types. This allows them to watch the games and follow the latest news for the teams. This is a lot easier when doing so for 15 teams rather than 30 teams.
- Doing your homework: It is important that you are always looking out for the latest breaking news from teams regarding their players. Injuries to key players can have a massive effect on games, so if you are quick off the mark reacting to this news, you can make some bets with favorable odds.
- Spread your wings: Most experienced bettors will have a sports betting account with all of the leading sportsbooks. This is because they want to get the best odds for every bet that they place. Over time, your profit levels will be significantly different if you take this approach as it all adds up.
NBA: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
As you can see, NBA betting is very popular and generates a lot of excitement. It is the ideal way to make a game more interesting. You can use the BettingBilly sportsbook comparison tool to quickly find a sportsbook that is a good fit for you. Signing up takes a couple of minutes and you will be good to go.
There are many leading sportsbooks in the United States to check out. You should first use the BettingBilly state checker to see what options are licensed in your state. You will then be able to use the sportsbook comparison tool to see what the best sportsbook for your preferences will be.
As soon as you have chosen the sportsbook you want to use, the sign up process will normally only take a few minutes from start to finish. Adding all of the information and agreeing to the terms of conditions only takes about a minute. You will then need to verify your identity, with this taking a couple of minutes.
The NBA betting odds will differ from sportsbook to sportsbook. There will not be one sportsbook that will have the best odds. This is why you should shop around and have accounts with the leading sportsbooks as you can always get the best odds for your given bet. When you win your bet, these odds will pay off nicely.
Most sportsbooks will have a welcome offer in place when you sign up for an account for the first time. This can come in many different shapes and sizes, usually being a free bet offer for a sportsbook. There will also usually be regular promotions for existing customers. These can change every week and oftentimes relate to NBA basketball games.
This answer will vary depending on what you prefer to see in a sportsbook. Some people have very particular needs and wants. Some will look for a certain payment method or make sure that the live NBA betting options are up to scratch. Others want large bonus offers or certain niche types of betting markets.