How to bet on NCAAB in 2022
College basketball in North America gets a lot of interest. The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) basketball competitions see the leading young basketball prodigies competing with one another before they get drafted into the NBA. Numerous conferences are a part of the NCAAB, with March Madness being the most important event that is a part of the basketball calendar season. There are countless NCAA basketball betting opportunities for you to look at during the season. This is because there are many games that are covered by the best sportsbooks. This NCAAB betting guide shows you what you need to be aware of regarding NCAA basketball betting.
NCAAB betting: The basics
College basketball sees teams from around the region of North America taking on one another on a regular basis. There are different conferences for teams to play one another based on their strength as a basketball team, as well as the NCAA tournament that is often the highlight of the season.
There are three main divisions as part of the NCAAB season, from Division I to Division III. Depending on results in a given season, the structure of these conferences can change.
March Madness is the biggest event as part of college basketball and is one of the sports events that receives the most bets every year in the USA. It is a single-elimination event that takes place in March every year, with 68 teams battling it out.
The ultimate winner is then declared the national champion for that given college season. A lot of people will bet on these games and try to successfully predict the outcome of the bracket. Here you will find a number of the most popular methods of basketball betting:
Types of Bets in NCAAB
There are tons of betting types that you can check out with NCAAB betting. You can try out each of these options to tailor your approach depending on your preferences.
Moneyline bets are the most basic form of NCAAB betting. A moneyline bet sees you trying to predict what team will be the winner of a given game. You can do this in its most basic form by simply trying to predict what team is going to win without having any spread applied to the score.
To make matters more interesting and to make potential mismatches more of a level playing field, there will often be a spread handicap added to the scoreline of the games. Therefore, it makes the odds for strong favorites a viable bet. The spread for the odds may be 9.5 points, so there is a requirement outlining that the favorite needs to be victorious by at least 10 points in this spread moneyline bet in order for your bet to win.
Futures betting allows you the chance to try guess the outcome of some future event. This may be trying to predict what team will be the National Champion by the season’s end or which player will score the most points during March Madness. Futures betting covers both team and individual player betting.
Prop betting has become more popular in recent years as fantasy basketball has taken off. It allows you to place certain proposition bets during a game, such as how many rebounds a certain player might get or how many fouls someone will have. This is a great way to bet on a game without it being directly correlated to the final score of the game.
Parlay betting allows you to create a single sports bet that has at least two picks. The more picks you add to this bet, the greater your odds will be. It gives you the chance to win a lot of cash from small stakes. If just one of the picks does not win, then your bet will be a loser.
Scorecast bets give you the chance to try guess the score of a particular game. This might be the exact final score or just the points range by the end of the game or at a given point during the fixture. This is often a trickier type of bet that can be lucrative if you learn how to pull it off.
Biggest NCAAB events for placing a bet
You can identify many different NCAAB events that stand out for NCAAB betting. These games pit the best of the best against one another.
By far, March Madness is the most popular NCAAB event each season for you to place bets on. Oftentimes the sportsbooks in the USA take in more bets for March Madness than any other sporting event each year, including the NFL Super Bowl.
This is officially called the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament and nearly always takes place during March, hence the name. There are 68 teams that play in this single-elimination tournament. The winner will be crowned as the national champion.
It has been running since 1939 and is highly popular among sports fans. There are 32 Division I teams that automatically get entry to March Madness, with 36 teams getting at-large entry possessions. These are selections made by a NCAA committee and announced shortly before the event. For the tournament itself, there are four regions where the 68 teams are split up into, with each team being seeded in these brackets.
The Final Four is when the winners of each of the four brackets come together and play for the national college championship. This sees the winner of the East, Midwest, West and South brackets play each other usually on the first weekend in April. Currently, UCLA holds the most college championships after coming out on top in the Final Four games. Next in the college rankings is Kentucky and North Carolina.
Place a bet on NCAAB: Step-by-Step
If you enjoy the look of NCAAB betting and want to begin, you can follow some simple steps to allow you to get started. Here you will find a point by point plan walking you through this system:
- Step 1: Choose a sportsbook: There are different variables to consider when making this choice depending on your preferences and needs, such as odds or payment methods. You are able to utilize the BettingBilly sportsbook comparison feature to help you with this decision.
- Step 2: Sign Up: Once you pick out a sportsbook, you can create a new account. This usually takes just a few minutes. Enter the required personal info and contact methods, in addition to agreeing to the sportsbook’s terms.
- Step 3: Verify your identity: All licensed sportsbooks need you to verify your identity before you start betting. This entails offering up a copy of a photo ID and some sort of proof of address.
- Step 4: Make a deposit: You are able to add funds to this new account and begin placing wagers. Some welcome offers for sportsbooks will need you to type in the bonus code when making this first deposit in order to activate the bonus offer.
NCAAB betting for beginners: How to bet
If you’re a beginner to NCAAB betting, then it may take you some time to learn the ropes. This is a natural part of the process and is a necessary step for all involved. Here are some tips when you are just starting out:
- Tip 1: Don’t spread yourself too thin: You want to make sure that you are not attempting to place a wager on each game, as there are just too many on a weekly basis.This is why it is a good idea to instead focus on a handful of games and learn from these experiences to see what you can improve upon.
- Tip 2: Try different betting types: When starting out, you should get a grasp of all the different betting types you have available to you. This will give you an insight into what situations will be best suited by certain betting types.
- Tip 3: Get the welcome bonus: When you sign up for a new sportsbook, there is often a welcome bonus that you can get that gives you some free bets. By availing of this offer, you can learn the ropes of NCAAB with a bit less risk as you can use this free bet.
- Tip 4: Get expert picks: To get a good idea as to the types of bets you should be placing, you should get picks from experts. Billy’s List is free to register for and sends you expert NCAAB betting picks straight to your inbox regularly.
- Tip 5: Avoid your favorite team: If you have a favorite college basketball team, it can be a good idea to not bet on this team as emotion can come into the equation. Betting while making emotional decisions if not encouraged as this can cloud your judgment.
NCAAB betting for professionals: How to bet
There are a lot of professional sports bettors that are able to make a good living from betting on NCAAB games. Here are a few approaches and strategies that they use that can be helpful to keep in mind.
- Differences from NBA betting: There are some key differences between basketball betting on NCAAB games and NBA games. As there is a large turnover of players each season in college basketball, you cannot rely on historical data as much. While they are the same sports, the NBA tends to be dominated by a handful of teams, with NCAAB being a lot more competitive among different teams.
- Focusing on a niche: As there are so many games in the NCAAB season, it can become overwhelming trying to keep up to date on every conference. This is why a lot of professional sports bettors only focus on certain teams or certain conferences. This allows them to stay up to date with all of the latest games, injuries and other off-court issues that may affect the outcome of games.
- Being quick off the mark: There will be less people betting on NCAAB games than on NBA games. Therefore, the odds for NCAAB betting will change a lot quicker when people place bets. This is why you will get the best value if you are quick off the mark and place your bets when the odds are released. Even small differences in these odds can make a big difference to your long term profits.
NCAAB: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
As this guide showcases, NCAAB betting is very popular and is extremely entertaining. The best young players often displayed a flashy style of basketball with the hopes of attracting the attention of the professional teams.
This presents countless sports betting opportunities, particularly during March Madness each season. The process of selecting and signing up for a sportsbook is nice and easy, only taking a few minutes before you can start with your NCAAB betting. What are you waiting for?
There will be no one sportsbook that is a good fit for NCAAB betting. There will be certain options that will have better odds or live stream games for example. However, most sportsbooks will offer odds on all of the NCAAB games in a given week, particularly with March Madness. The same goes for MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA, golf and soccer betting – there is no one size fits all.
Most sportsbooks will give you free bet bonuses when you first sign up for a new account. This is a great way to start off your new account. There will also be regular promotions during the season, particularly around March Madness. This could be in the form of parlay insurance or cashback free bets on certain teams if they lose.
The best odds will not be found excessively on one sportsbook. Some offerings do generally have better odds on average than competitors, but this can change if you are considering a single game. Therefore, a lot of experienced bettors have accounts with all of the leading operators so they will always get the best odds for a given bet.
This depends on your given needs. Some people want to be able to live stream games, while others just want the best odds. You may want to be able to use a certain payment method or also have access to an online casino as well as an online sportsbook. Make a list of priorities and use this to choose a sportsbook.
For most sportsbooks, this required step only takes a few minutes to complete. You just need to scan a copy of some photo ID, such as a passport or driving license. Your proof of address should be dated in the past few months and can be the likes of a bank statement or a utility bill. Usually, the documents will get approved within minutes and at most within 24 hours.