How to bet on NHL in 2020
The National Hockey League (NHL) is the fastest sport around and it is the leading ice hockey league in the world. There are 31 sports teams that take part in the NHL and it is one of the leading major sports leagues in North America along with the likes of the MLB, NBA and NFL. The Stanley Cup is the ultimate prize come the end of the sports season and it is always a competitive postseason. There are many sports betting options for the NHL. If you want to get started betting on hockey games, then there are many great sportsbooks for you to check out. This NHL betting guide has a look at all aspects of betting on NHL fixtures.
NHL betting: The basics
The NHL was originally founded in 1917 and it has been going strong ever since. There are 31 teams in total as part of the league, with 24 of the teams being based in the United States, with 7 of the teams being based in Canada. A new team is set to enter the league in the near future. The Stanley Cup is currently the oldest sports trophy for professional sports in the region and it is the highlight of the season each year.
All of the best players in the world get attracted to playing in the NHL, with about 20 different nations providing players to the league. Most of the players tend to be from Canada, but there are more Europeans and Americans now playing in the league than ever before.
In terms of betting on NHL games, due to the fast-paced action in-play betting is popular. There are a lot of games every season, so this presents plenty of opportunities for bettors.
Types of Bets in NHL
NHL odds betting is very popular as there are many games each season that present good opportunities. There are some general types of sports bets that tend to stand out.
A moneyline bet is the most standard type of sports bet for you to consider. This effectively sees you betting on the outcome of a given game. You decide what team you think will win the game and back them at the standard odds. Applying a spread to a moneyline bet is very popular.
This handicaps the favorite in the game, making a potentially mismatched game viable in terms of betting. For example, the spread may be one goal in a NHL game. This will mean that the favorite will have to win the game by at least two goals in order for your spread moneyline odds bet to win.
Futures betting allows you to try to predict the outcome for some given future event. These are particularly popular come the start of the season. This could be a future bet on what team you think will win the Stanley Cup or what team will have the worst regular season record.
You can also partake in futures betting for individual players. For example, you may bet on what player you think will be the NHL MVP come the end of the season or what player will top the goal scoring list.
Prop betting is a more specific type of betting that does not really focus on the outcome of a game. Instead, you are dealing with individual matters that take place during the game. For a player prop bet, this could be betting on the amount of goals they have in a given game or how many assists they get in a game. For a team prop bet, it may be how many ejections its players have in the course of a game.
Parlay betting sees you combine numerous picks into a single bet. For this bet to win, every single selection has to win. If there is just one selection that fails to win, you lose your stake.
For each additional selection you add to the parlay bet, you multiply the odds with one another. Therefore, there are often large odds for parlay bets. While this is naturally going to lead to a higher potential return, the probability of the betting being a winner will decrease with each additional selection that is added.
A scorecast bet relates to scoring during a game. This could be trying to correctly predict the exact score of the game or attempting to predict how many goals will be scored in a given half. As there is often a lot of fast-paced action, scorecast bets are popular during in-play betting when a game is still live.
Biggest NHL events for placing a bet
Every year, there are a number of major NHL games that take in more bets than any others. Naturally, these are going to be games that are at the business end of the season. Here are some of those notable games:
The Stanley Cup is the holy grail of the NHL season, with this being the trophy that is presented to the winner of the play-off series each season. Currently, it is the oldest active trophy that is still presented in professional sports, having been initially commissioned back in 1882.
There have been 25 winners of the Cup over the years, with 20 of these teams still being active. The Boston Bruins and the Chicago Blackhawks have been two of the more dominant teams in the Stanley Cup in recent years.
Eastern Conference Finals
The winner of the Easter Conference Finals will get a coveted position in the Stanley Cup final. Games take place in the conference during the season, with the playoff series resulting in this final conference game. Some of the teams that have dominated this final in recent years includes the Boston Bruins and the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Western Conference Finals
The Western Conference Finals winner will get a position in the Stanley Cup final each year. The teams in the conference battle it out in the regular season before the best performing teams take on one another in the playoffs. The Chicago Blackhawks have been the most dominant team in this division for a number of years, with the San Jose Sharks making a lot of final appearances also.
Place a bet on NHL: Step-by-Step
To being the process of being able to place bets on NHL games, here is a step by step insight into how you can do so today:
- Step 1: Pick an operator: Your initial step is deciding what sportsbook you wish to use. There is a sportsbook comparison tool on BettingBilly that allows you to figure out which are the leading sportsbooks in your given state.
- Step 2: Make an account: You will then need to create your account with this chosen sportsbook. This step is pretty straightforward a lot of the time, you simply enter any personal and contact info that is asked for and agree to the terms of that platform.
- Step 3: Complete the verification process: Before finishing your account registration, you need to verify your account. To do so, provide proof of address and proof of ID to the operator.
- Step 4: Add funds and get betting: You will now be ready to add some funds to this new account and then start betting on NHL games. Make sure that any relevant bonus code is included with your first deposit in order to activate a certain bonus deal.
NHL betting for beginners: How to bet
To get started as a beginner with NHL betting, you need to remember a few key tips. These will stand you in good stead going forward as you develop your skills and learn what is the best fit for you.
- Tip 1: Remember the time of season: When it gets to a certain time during the regular season, sometimes may be outside of the playoff spots with no chance to recover. This may lead to teams not having much of an incentive to perform well and to try obtain a good draft pick. Therefore, these teams are usually to be avoided when betting.
- Tip 2: Try everything: As you get started with NHL betting, there are many betting types available for you to test out. Trying each of them out is a good idea as you will know what tools you have at your disposal when betting on different NHL games.
- Tip 3: Focus on home advantage: Just like most sports, home advantage plays a large part in the result of certain games. This is something you need to always consider when looking for bets that could represent some value.
- Tip 4: Get expert NHL betting picks: Billy’s List is a picks service that you can sign up for for free and it delivers expert NHL betting picks to your email inbox on a regular basis. This gives you the chance to start winning straight away when starting betting on NHL games.
- Tip 5: Watch plenty of games: As you watch more NHL games, you will start to notice some trends that tend to pop up again and again. These trends can be an ideal way to get an insight into the ebbs and flows of a game. This is particularly key when you get started with live betting.
NHL betting for professionals: How to bet
There are people who manage to consistently profit from NHL betting and know the ins and outs of the sport. Here are some common attributes and qualities these types of people have:
- Paying attention to detail: These types of bettors are always looking for small suggests that might be able to provide an edge over the competition. This can be following accounts on social media that break the latest news about players, teams and coaches.
- Being consistent: As time goes on, there are going to be periods when bettors lose more that they win and vice versa. The most imprint thing is that you are steadily trending upwards over time and that your approach to NHL betting is a good one.
- Playing the odds: While choosing your picks are very important, you also need to consider the odds at which you are betting on these selections. Most experienced bettors will have accounts with all of the leading sportsbooks these days. This allows them to get the lowest odds for a given bet.
NHL betting: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
Sports betting has never been easier. There are countless top-quality sportsbooks for you to choose from when it comes to your NHL betting. You can use the BettingBilly comparison tool to find the sportsbook that you will love. Then you can get started in just a matter of minutes. What’s stopping you?
There is no one operator that is the best at everything for NHL betting. Some operators will have low odds generally for NHL betting, while others will have a wide range of markets. You may have certain preferences for in-play betting or just want to get access to regular promotions for NHL games. Whatever the case may be, no one operator will tick all of these boxes.
Once again, there is no single site that will have the best odds for NHL games. However, there will be certain operators that gnarly have low odds for you to check out. You will spot these sites over time as you compare odds. Most leading bettors will have accounts with each of the best sportsbooks so they are always going to have access to the best odds for one of their selections.
This all depends on how well your own bets perform. There are certainly bettors out there who are consistently profitable with their NHL betting. This comes after developing a steady process over time that is repeatable and showcases strong results that are not random.
There is no one single bet type that is superior to any other. Different circumstances will suit different types of bets. It is going to be a case for trial and error a lot of the time to figure out when you should use certain types of bets. This is one of the beauties of NHL betting and it will help to keep things interesting over time.
Most sportsbooks will give you the chance to get some sort of bonus offer after you have first registered for an account with them. There will also often be regular promotions during the course of the NHL season. This could be in the form of risk-free bets or parlay insurance where you get your stake back if only one selection in your parlay is a loser.