How to bet Over/Under on Basketball in 2021
There are countless different options when it comes to watching basketball games. You have top-quality games to check out both at college level and at professional level with the NBA. You are spoilt for choice in this regard, having the ability to see the best players in the world battle it out against each other on a regular basis. You also have loads of different betting markets to check out for each of these games, which is ideal for sports bettors. One of the most popular betting types is over/under basketball bets. This guide walks you through everything you need to know about over/under basketball betting.
Over/under Basketball betting: The Basics
Basketball is a massively popular sport all across the world. The biggest names in the sport are household names even among those who don’t have much of an interest in the sport. The game is so fast paced and skillful that it makes the ideal spectacle. Unlike NFL and MLB games that can be very stop start, there is plenty of constant action with over/under games. It is end to end excitement, with big comebacks being a norm.
If you are a fan of college basketball, then there are tons of different options to check out. While there will not be as much betting interest on these games, these amateur players play their heart out for their teams. They also have the ultimate goal of making it to the NBA so spotting talent at this level can help your betting down the line in the NBA.
The professional game in the NBA is naturally going to showcase the best players in existence at this moment in time. There are many powerhouses that dominate the game every time that they step onto the court. Many dynasties have led to legendary documentaries and history that has attracted a younger fan base in recent years. The NBA is also always trying to innovate and it has been embracing sports betting in all sorts of different ways.
Perhaps the most fundamental form of betting on sports in the USA is the over/under bet. This is very easy to understand, quick to place and often plays to the bettors strengths in a lot of ways. This guide looks at all different aspects of this betting type. Here are some other popular forms of basketball betting:
Examples for over/under basketball betting
If you are looking at an over/under basketball bet, there can be different markets available. The most popular is often the winning margin in a given game. The sportsbook will be setting the odds, as well as choosing what the predefined winning margin for this over/under bet will be.
For this example, the Cleveland Cavaliers are playing the Brooklyn Nets and the sportsbook has set the winning margin target of 4.5 points and the over/under odds are evens for both options.
Winning Example of over/under basketball betting
If you think that one of the teams in this game is going to win by at least five points, then you will place a bet on the over option. Say you bet $50 on this outcome, you will then win a profit of $50 as well as your $50 stake returned to you as the game was won by 7 points by the Cavaliers.
Losing Example of over/under basketball betting
If you back the over option in this bet and it turns out that the Cavaliers only win the game by two points, your $50 bet will be a loser and you will not win any return at all.
Biggest basketball events for placing an Over/Under bet
Every year there are many spectacles as part of the season in both the professional leagues and the college ranks. They always bring out a passionate fan base and neutrals alike. It is a great way to see the best of the best lay one another for some glory when everything is on the line. Here are some of the notable betting events to watch out for:
NBA Championship Finals
This is where the best teams in the NBA strive to be crowned as the world champion for that given season. The winner from the Eastern Conference FInal and the Western Conference Final will meet in the best of seven games series to see who will come out on top.
There have been many great dynasties over the years, including the likes of the Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers, Chicago Bulls and the Boston Celtics. These series often go right down to the wire and garner worldwide attention as a result.
NBA Conference Finals
Both of the conference finals in the NBA are hotly contested as the victor is going to get a place in the NBA Championship Finals. The Eastern and Western conference finals will be a best of seven games series. A lot of teams have continually been defeated at this final hurdle before the finals by the same team.
Teams that are very good but just not good enough in that season will bow out at this stage, focused on getting redemption the next season. The victor can then start to prepare for the ultimate prize the next day out.
While NBA games will garner more attention on average than regular college games, March Madness is a different kettle of fish. This is the annual NCAA college tournament that is held in the spring, with the bulk of the competition taking place in March. There are 68 teams in total that make up this single elimination tournament where everything is on the line.
It is a very popular betting event, with people trying to predict the outcome of each of the brackets. More bets come in for March Madness every year than most other sporting events. The winner at the end of the tournament will be crowned as the season’s NCAA champion.
Place an Over/Under bet on basketball: Step-by-Step
If you are a big basketball fan and you are looking to begin placing over/under basketball bets, then you just need to do a few minutes of preparation work in order to set yourself up for success. Here is a list of a few key steps that will help you along this journey in the initial stages:
- Step 1: Choose a sportsbook: You will need to decide what sportsbook you are going to start off with. It is a good idea at this stage to list out your main priorities in a sportsbook and go from there. You can use the sportsbook comparison tool at BettingBilly to help you decide between the various options.
- Step 2: Sign up for an account: As soon as your sportsbook has been selected, the registration process can begin. This takes just a few minutes in most cases. Enter all of the usual personal and contact info, as well as agree to the terms and conditions of the site and set a username and password. You will have to provide some proof of address and ID also.
- Step 3: Add funds: You will then be ready to put some money into your new account. There are plenty of options to do so. If there is a deposit bonus offer, make sure that you enter any relevant promo code when making the transaction to activate the deal.
- Step 4: Start betting: You will now be able to check out the different over/under basketball betting markets. See what catches your eye and simply add the bet to your betslip and enter how much you want to place on the wager and click confirm.
Over/under basketball betting for beginners: How to bet
Beginners can often get a bit confused with all of the different terms associated with sports betting when starting off. This is why it can take some time for them to find their feet. Here are a few pieces of advice that could prove useful in the beginning days:
- Tip 1: Try a lot of different things: When starting off sports betting, to get a good grasp of your different options, you should try out all of the leading betting types. This is a great way for you to see what tools are at your disposal for future bets.
- Tip 2: Be smart with funds: It is vital that you have a balanced approach to using your account funds. There is no point blowing them right off the bat and trying to bet on every single game. Allocate a certain percentage of your balance for each week.
- Tip 3: Do your research: To figure out what the best over/under opportunities may be in a given game, you should do plenty of research. This means looking at recent and historical data to guide you on this decision-making process. There are tons of sites out there for you to gather data.
- Tip 4: Sign up for expert picks: There are many sports betting picks services in the sector today. This allows you to get expert picks straight to your email inbox. Billy’s List is a service that is free for you to sign up to and it allows you to quickly get a good idea of what types of bets are popular for over/under basketball wagering.
- Tip 5: Place your bets early: This is important for college basketball betting as there will not be as many wagers for these games as opposed to NBA games. This means that odds will change quicker and a lot of good opportunities can be lost if you don’t act fast enough.
Over/under basketball betting for professionals: How to bet
For a lot of people, basketball betting is a full-time profession where they earn a good living from putting their knowledge of the game to the test. One of the key aspects of these bettors with over/under basketball betting options.
While each of the bettors will have different approaches and plans to their betting, there are some common traits that shine out across the board:
- Obtain the best odds: You want to always make sure that you are obtaining the lowest possible odds for a given selection. This will usually mean having an account with each of the licensed sportsbooks in your state. This puts you in a position to eke out small gains regularly that will pile up over time to a significant sum.
- Narrow your focus: Experienced sports bettors will often focus on a certain team or conference with their betting. This allows them to dig deeper about the players in that team or conference and be able to watch more games. This will boost their chances of getting an edge over the sportsbooks that are setting the odds.
- Analyze your bets: Professional bettors will always look at their recent bets to see what they are doing well and what needs to be avoided. This form of analysis allows them to continually refine their betting and make sure that they are not missing out on potential gains.
Over/under basketball betting: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
Countless people enjoy over/under basketball betting whenever the season is in full flow. It is the ideal entry point for beginner bettors and is a great betting type for more experienced bettors. To get started, simply use the BettingBilly sportsbook comparison tool and sign up for an account now.
There is no definitive sportsbook that is best for basketball betting fans. However, there will be some that stand out more than others. It will also depend on what you look for in terms of a sportsbook, whether it is the lowest odds, the greatest range of markets or bonus offers.
These can come out in very different shapes and forms depending on the operator. Some will give you free bets that allow you to keep the winnings while others will offer insurance on your parlay bets if one selection is a loser. Another popular basketball betting bonus is providing an odds boost for a given game or market.
There are certain rules that need to be followed, most of which have been outlined by your given state’s gambling regulator. These rules usually revolve around what age you can be when you are legally allowed to place a bet and where you are able to place your bets from.
With basketball betting, there is no one team that will stand out. However, if a team is consistent, this allows you to be more confident in what sort of performance they are going to have in a given game rather than a team that regularly blows hot and cold and you don’t know what one is going to turn up on the given game day.
It is vital that you do not get too emotional with your betting. This often means avoiding wagers in games that involve your favorite team or players. If you are on a losing streak, you should not let this cloud your judgement and start to try to chase your losses.