How to Spread Bet on Basketball in 2021
When it comes to basketball, point spread betting is perhaps the most popular type of bet you can make. With some many college and professional basketball games taking place during the season, there are endless opportunities for you to place bets on basketball spreads. This allows you to even the playing field for potential mismatches and get better odds for placing bets on the favorite in a given matchup. Point spread basketball betting provides you with great flexibility in this regard, extending the number of betting markets available to you. With countless people across the world enjoying betting on games, this is one of their preferred tools for doing so. This guide will walk you through everything you need to know about spread betting on games.
Spread betting basketball: The Basics
Basketball is one of the biggest sports anywhere in the world. Its popularity has continually expanded globally, with many countries being exposed to the sport in recent years. College basketball is a way for the best young players in the USA and elsewhere to showcase their talents in the hope that they may eventually get picked by an NBA team when their college career comes to an end.
There are numerous different divisions as part of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) basketball organization. There are many iconic college teams that are still there or thereabouts every year, particularly when it comes to the biggest tournament, the March Madness single elimination championship.
For professional players, the NBA is the ultimate. People are always striving to make it into this league that is only made up of 30 different teams. The NBA Draft each year sees the best young players from college being selected for the different teams.
Many NBA players are now household names even in places where there is not much talk of basketball. The skillful and fast pace nature of these games creates awe in many of the people who watch these games.
Spread betting on both college and professional basketball is extremely popular. You will regularly hear people talking about basketball spreads when talking about a given game. You will often see the matchups outlined with a plus or minus symbol and a number of points beside the teams. The favorite in the game will have points deducted from the when spread betting on basketball. Here are some other popular forms of basketball betting:
Examples for spread betting basketball
The point spread is going to be the number of points that the sportsbook determines for a given game. Say that the Los Angeles Lakers are playing the Los Angeles Clippers. A sportsbook may believe that the Lakers are the favorite and that they are going to be -4 points for this given matchup. This means that the Clippers are going to be +4.
If the Clippers win the game or only lose by at most three points, then you will win your bet on Clippers at +3. If the Lakers win by exactly 4 points, this means that the draw will be a push as neither team will have won with the handicap applied. If the Lakers win by at least 5 points, this means that your wager on the Lakers will be a winner.
Winning Example of spread betting basketball
If you bet $10 on the Lakers at -4 at even odds and they win the game by 7 points, this means that you will win a profit of $10 and also get your $10 stake returned to you.
Losing Example of spread betting basketball
If you bet $10 on the Lakers to win at -4 at even odds and they only win the game by a single point, this means that your bet is a loser as the Lakers have failed to cover the point spread. This means that you will lose your $10 stake.
Biggest basketball events for spread betting
Each season brings with it many great games. Not all of these are going to be championship games, as there are many great rivalries involving the various teams in both the college basketball scene and the NBA. Here are some of the biggest events to watch out for each year:
The NBA Championship is the final game of the NBA season where the world champion will be crowned. It is a best of seven games series and will see the winner of the Eastern Conference Final play against the winner of the Western Conference Final.
Usually, these games go right down to the wire and are very competitive. Some teams tend to have streaks of dominance, appearing in the final year after year for a significant stretch of time. The Boston Celtic are currently on the top of the list when it comes to the most NBA Championship titles.
To get into the NBA Championship Finals, the teams will have to be crowned as the Eastern Conference and Western Conference respectively. This is done by winning the respective Finals for these conferences.
There are 15 teams in each side, with the regular season dictating what teams make it into the playoffs. The teams then will play off against each other until there are two teams left standing for the conference final. This is a best of seven games series and it is hotly contested.
The biggest college tournament of the year comes in spring, with it being one of the biggest sports events each year in the United States. It is a single elimination tournament that allows 68 leading teams to enter.
Some of these teams automatically qualify via rankings while the rest will be picked by a group of experts. There are always a lot of surprises and upsets during the tournament, with massive sums of money bet on these games each and every season.
Place a spread bet bet on basketball: Step-by-Step
Spread betting on basketball games is a great way to enhance the viewing experience of a game. They are easy bets to understand and to place. Here is a simple guide on how you can get started with point spread basketball betting:
- Step 1: Choose a sportsbook: Your initial move will be to figure out what sportsbook you would like to use. You can rank these options by their range of markets, ease of use, mobile compatibility etc. There is a BettingBilly sportsbook comparison tool that can be an ideal way for you to narrow down the different options.
- Step 2: Make an account: For most sportsbooks, the account creation process takes a matter of minutes. All you need to enter is personal info, contact info, make a password and username and agree with the terms and conditions of the site. You will also have to verify your identity and address.
- Step 3: Deposit money: After the account is created, you can add funds with one of the available methods. Many times there will be a welcome offer that will give you a boost when making this deposit, often requiring you to add a promo code when making the deposit.
- Step 4: Place a wager: You can now have a look at the different college and NBA games on offer and their respective spreads. When you find something that fits the eye, add it to your bet slip by clicking on the odds and you then need to enter how much money you want to bet on this selection.
Spread betting on basketball for beginners: How to bet
Many people regularly watch a game and then get the itch to make it a bit more exciting by making a bet on it. However, many people do not know where to start when this is the case. Spread betting is a great way to dip your toes into basketball betting, so here are some helpful tips to remember when starting off:
- Tip 1: Plenty of research: With sports betting, you want to look at historic data and recent form to get a gauge of what you might expect to happen in a game. This requires you looking at everything from home/away records to how many minutes key players have played coming into a matchup as well as knowing the latest injury reports.
- Tip 2: Don’t get too greedy: A lot of sportsbooks have standard basketball spreads while others also allow you to increase the spread and therefore increase the odds. It is important that you do not look at the potential winnings for these bigger spreads and try to get too greedy.
- Tip 3: Avoid large parlay bets: While parlay bets can be very enjoyable and exciting as they have large potential payouts off smaller stakes, the more selections you add to the bet, the slimmer your chances of winning will be. With spread betting on games, you should only place parlay bets with a max of four teams in it if you are serious about winning.
- Tip 4: Get expert picks: Many expert sports bettors share their knowledge for upcoming basketball games. It allows you to see what these people are thinking about and their stake sizes Billy’s List is a picks service that is free to sign up for and will send the picks straight to your inbox.
- Tip 5: Take your time: With basketball betting, you want to make sure that you are properly managing your account balance and not blowing it quickly. You also want to keep motion out of your betting at all times.
Spread betting on basketball for professionals: How to bet
A lot of people are professional bettors and make significant sums from spread betting on basketball games. Each of them will take a different approach to their wagering, but here are some commonalities you will see across the board:
- Always learning: As well as always trying to get the latest and most relevant info about players, referees and teams, pro bettors will always be looking at new betting types and reviewing old bets to see where they can improve upon.
- Getting the lowest odds: If you are a professional bettor, even the smaller margins matter. Therefore, they will shop around extensively to find the offering with the lowest odds for a given bet. They will have accounts with all major sportsbooks.
- Having a niche: A lot of pro sports bettors focus on a given conference or a few different teams to make sure they don’t spread themselves too thin. They can become experts in these teams and not try to focus on too much at one time.
Spread betting on basketball: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
You now have a good idea about spread betting on basketball games and you will be ready to get started with a sports betting account of your own. Check out the BettingBilly sportsbook comparison tool to find an option that is an optimal fit for your needs.
There are often different spread betting basketball markets than just match winner markets. These can come in different forms depending on the sportsbook. This is why it is worthwhile exploring all of the different betting markets that are available for you to use at any given moment in time.
Live betting on all sports is very popular and makes up a large portion of the total amount of sports bets that are placed on a regular basis. Most sportsbooks will have a live betting interface with the latest markets and stats during the course of a game, with some sportsbooks allowing you to even live stream the games.
Most sportsbooks will try to reward players for signing up for an account or for their extended loyalty to a platform by providing some sort of invectives. These will vary depending on the operator. Often they will be in the form of a freebet, parlay insurance or an enhanced price for a given market.
There will not be one standout sportsbook that always has better odds for basketball betting than all others. However, you will come across sites that in general tend to have very good odds for basketball betting. This is often something that comes from trial and error and you can also cover your bases by having an account with all leading sportsbooks and always having access to the best odds.
Perhaps the biggest mistake with spread betting on basketball games is trying to bite off more than you can chew. If you are chasing basketball spreads that are too large on a regular basis or trying to pull off large parlay bets on a regular basis then you are going to have some struggles with regards to being consistently profitable over time.