How to Bet on Tennis in 2021
There has always been massive interest in tennis in the USA. There have been some great characters over the years in the game, such as Andre Agassi, John McEnroe, Pete Sampras and Andy Roddick. The battle of wills between the players on the court is often awe-inspiring. These are fast-paced games, with more and more of a focus on strength and fitness in recent years. Tennis is one of the most popular sports to bet on across the world. This is due to the fast nature of the games and the plethora of opportunities to place bets, such as for Wimbledon. This guide looks into the different aspects relating to tennis betting and what you can do to hopefully one day become a betting expert for tennis.
Tennis betting: The basics
Tennis has grown into a massive sport over the years. It only started to become a sport in the mid-19th century in England when it was plainly played on grass. It is now a part of the Olympics tournament and some of the events are among the biggest in all of sports today in terms of popularity and prestige. The rules of the game haven’t really changed much over the years. While millions play the game on a recreational level, there is also a thriving professional circuit for mens and women’s tennis.
There are currently four Grand Slam events that take place every year. There are four Majors and they are the Australian Open (hard court surface), French Open (clay courts), Wimbledon (grass courts) and the US Open that is also played on hard courts.
Many iconic players have left their mark on the sport over the years. In recent times, the likes of Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic have dominated the sport on the men’s side, with Serena Williams being the standout player in the women’s game.
For betting purposes, you have plenty of different options to look at. While pre-game markets like match winners and total games won markets are common, tennis comes into its own when it comes to live betting. Betting on what player will win the next game and even the next point is popular. There are always a ton of live betting options for tennis games as a result, with some of these usually being live streamed by the sportsbooks.
Examples of tennis betting
If you are betting on a tennis game between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, you may believe that this match is going to go to the fifth set in the Major. The odds for over 4.5 sets as part of the match is +110.
Winning example of tennis betting
If you place a bet of $10 on the over portion of the over/under betting market that there will be at least 4.5 sets in the match, you will win a profit of $11 and win your stake of $10 back if this goes to a fifth set.
Losing example of tennis betting
If this match fails to go to a fifth set, that means that you are going to lose your stake and not get any return at all.
Biggest tennis events for betting
There are many massive tennis events each year. These include the four Majors, the Olympics that come around every four years and other events like Tour Finals and Davis Cup games. Here are some of the biggest tennis betting events for you to check out:
Wimbledon is one of the four Majors and it is alway highly anticipated. It was first played in 1877 and the prize money bypassed the £34 million mark. Roger Federer holds the record of eight men’s singles titles, while Martina Navratilova has won the women’s single event at Wimbledon on nine occasions. It was in 2020 that Wimbledon was cancelled for the first time since the Second World War. These matches take place on grass and the cream usually rises to the top with the games.
The US Open for tennis has been taking place since 1881 and takes place every year in New York City. The prize money was over $53 million in 2020 and there is always mass excitement due to the competitive nature of this event. Roger Federer was one of the most dominant players for a stretch of history in this competition, winning the US Open five years in a row between 2004 and 2008.
The Australian Open was started in 1905 and it has taken place in Melbourne since 1972. The prize money is massive and there are different types of hard court surfaces used during this event. It is the Grand Slam tournament that garners the highest crowds, with more than 812,000 attendees during the 2020 event. Novak Djokovic holds the record for men’s singles titles, having won the Australian Open on eight occasions. Margaret Court holds this distinction for the women’s game, winning the Australian Open on 11 occasions.
Placing a bet on tennis: Step-by-Step
If you are looking to begin with some tennis betting, you can do so in a short space of time. All you need to do is follow some simple steps and you will be good to go.
- Step 1: Identify a sportsbook: You can see what licensed sportsbooks are open for you to use in your given state through the Betting Billy state checker tool. Narrow down this list according to your preferences and priorities. This could mean having a certain range of tennis betting markets.
- Step 2: Create an account: You can now create your new sports betting account in just a few minutes. Provide all of the relevant info and then provide some proof of address and photo ID. This is a necessary step in order to comply with anti-money laundering laws.
- Step 3: Add some money: You’re now ready to add some money to your sports betting account. Only deposit what you can afford to lose. If there is a welcome bonus offer, there often needs to be a bonus code entered at this stage.
- Step 4: Get betting: You can now check out what tennis betting markets are available and start to place your bets. All you need to do is add the selection to your betslip and you will be good to go.
Tennis betting for beginners: How to bet
There are many tips and tricks associated with being a successful tennis bettor. As a beginner, it is important that you place more of your focus on the basics, nailing these aspects of betting before moving onto more complex issues. Here are some of the best tips for beginners.
- Tip 1: Try everything: It is a good idea to try all different forms of tennis betting in the beginning. This means testing out the likes of pre-game and in-game betting. This shows you what tools are at their disposal going forward.
- Tip 2: Do some research: There are a lot of statistics that you can look at with tennis players that can help inform your decision making process when it comes to betting.
- Tip 3: Avail of offers: Most sportsbooks will run a variety of different promotions for new and existing players. These are a great way to kick off a new account to boost your return on an existing account.
- Tip 4: Don’t spread yourself thin: While you should try out different betting types, you should not stretch your bankroll too much. This means that you don’t have to bet on every single tennis match or tournament, you can pick and choose the game as you see fit.
- Tip 5: Get picks from experts: Experts put a huge amount of time and effort into their tennis betting picks. Billy’s List is a free to sign up for sports picks service that gives you the likes of Wimbledon predictions straight to your inbox.
Tennis betting for professionals: How to bet
A lot of professional bettors place a large focus on tennis betting. This is largely due to the quick action and great live betting opportunities. Here are some tips from these experts:
- Getting the best odds: This is the simplest way to quickly boost your profits. By making sure that you always get the best odds possible for a bet, you are maximizing your long term return. Sign up for an account with every sportsbook in your state to always have access to the highest odds.
- Reassess and adapt: It is important that you are constantly assessing your strategies and seeing what areas you can improve upon with your betting. Experienced bettors know that they will not win every bet, so they break down what went wrong with losing bets.
- Don’t let emotion creep in: It is important that there is no emotion involved in the decision making process for tennis betting. Otherwise, you can make impulsive decisions that do not make sense.
Tennis betting: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
You have many different great tennis betting sites out there today to choose from in your given state. All of sorts of pre-game and in-play betting options are on offer. Signing up to one of these sites only takes a few minutes and you can even get a free bet offer for your troubles.
The legal age will change for sports betting from state to state. Some areas will allow you to place sports bets if you are at least 18 years old while others require you to be 21 years old. You can see what the rules are for your state by using the Betting Billy state checker tool.
There are some sports betting sites that will allow you to live stream these games through their platform. Sometimes you will need to have placed a wager on this game before you are able to get access to the stream. Whatever the case, you have plenty of options.
Most sportsbooks will have a variety of different bonuses and offers to keep players happy. This includes the likes of free bets, money back offers, enhanced odds on certain markets and insurance on parlays. It is always worth keeping an eye on these promotions to see what might come in handy for you.
There is no single answer to this question. All of the leading tennis betting sites are going to have their own pros and cons. Some will be better suited for live betting than others, while some will offer great pre-game markets or better odds. Once you do your research you will find one that is tailored to your own needs.
There is no one site that is alway going to have better odds for tennis betting than all others. However, some do on average have better odds. To always ensure that you get the best odds for a given bet, you should have an account with all of the leading sports betting sites.