Best US Sports Betting Sites in 2021
A solid portion of US states has legalized sports betting following the PASPA repealing in 2018. We decided to take action and launch Betting Billy, a site where regular bettors can find anything they might be interested in. All of the best sports betting sites for US players are objectively tested and compared there, while you also have free access to Billy's List, a feature including free sports betting picks and parlay bets on a daily basis.
- Legality of Sports Betting in USA
- Online vs. Offline
- Legal vs. Offshore
- Best Sports Betting Sites: 5 Most Played Betting Types
- Top 10 Sport Events to bet on at Best Betting Sites
- Our Test Categories for Best Sports Betting Sites
- Checklist: Registration
- Our Top 5 Sports Betting Bonuses
- Our Top 5 Betting Apps
- 5 Tips for the Beginning
Legality of Sports Betting in USA
President George H.W. Bush signed the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act in 1992, prohibiting any form of regulated and taxed sports betting in the United States. The act was the law until May 14th, 2018, when the US Supreme Court struck it down to legalize the activity on the federal level. Since then, every single state has the right to choose whether or not it would embrace sports betting within its borders. Some states, like New Jersey and Nevada, have reacted promptly and allowed the activity for their residents, others have quickly joined them, and many more are on the way to do so. The industry is growing rapidly and we have reasons to expect further expansion in the months/years to come.
Additionally, states take a different approach towards distinct kinds of sports betting. While some have only allowed the players to place wagers inside a casino/racetrack facility, others have permitted online/mobile betting too. A very small number of states have embraced online betting exclusively. State lotteries have the power to oversee the activity across most territories. They determine the conditions under which best online betting sites can join a specific regulated market.
Although professional sports leagues have been on the other side of the combat so far, they had to accept the law change. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver attempted to get cut of the money through an integrity fee claiming the competition would face serious monitoring costs in such an environment. MLB officials joined the quest, but it has not yet been popular with state legislators.
Online vs. Offline
So far, most states have introduced sports wagering inside a physical sportsbook venue in the shape of casino/racino/racetrack before online bookmakers. There are some exceptions, though rare ones, of states that have embraced online wagering first, though. In most states, an online bookmaker is required to have a land-based partner to enter a particular betting market. In such circumstances, partners run operations together and share the profit as agreed.
Sports betting was generally done through physical brick-and-mortar locations for generations, but the latest rise of the Internet and mobile platforms has switched the field on a global level. The luxury of placing bets from the comfort of your home can hardly be paralleled and we can understand why bettors have suddenly turned to online/mobile betting. Other than luxury, the advantages of best online sports betting sites are reflected in betting options, types of wagers, convenience, the lack of additional expenses, bonuses, and sports betting resources. a
Legal vs. Offshore
Safety is the main difference between legal and regulated bookmakers and offshore operators. A sportsbook/casino regulated by the country provides a secure environment, the one in which you should not be afraid of being scammed. The bettors can shift the entire attention towards their bets as such sportsbooks are overseen by a US regulatory body and there is no room for malfunctions or scams whatsoever. Furthermore, the licensed betting hubs grant safe and fast withdrawals and keep the players’ personal and financial data 100% secured.
Unfortunately, the same can't be said for offshore betting environments. They took advantage of the aforementioned US laws to accept bets worth millions of dollars and provide online betting services to all US citizens, regardless of the state they are coming from. However, after the PASPA repealing, regulated and licensed US bookmakers became available for bettors in numerous states. At the moment, they do not have a single reason to keep playing with an unsecured offshore betting site.
Best Sports Betting Sites: 5 Most Played Betting Types
Although we all usually use more or less the same betting types, the best sports betting sites tend to constantly extend the array of options to beat the competitors and attract more players. We’ve created a short list of the Americans’ favorite (most used) betting types:
- Hedge Betting: This concept originated in England back in the 16th century and is still present in current gambling conditions. Hedge betting refers to bets placed on different outcomes of the same event. If the odds for certain match change in your favor, you simply back the other outcome to get a small, yet safe, profit.
- Moneyline Betting: A moneyline bet is the simplest and yet most popular sports betting market. You select one team to win, draw, or lose, and do not have anything other but the outcome to worry about. As long as your selected pick wins, your bet is won, regardless of the difference or the number of points/goals in the match.
- Over/Under Betting: When you do not have a clue about which team might win the game, Over/Under betting may be your best call. A sportsbook will set a certain line, and you back whether the total number of points/goals scored by both teams will be higher or lower than the one given by the operator.
- Point Spread Betting: You will not always be satisfied with the odds offered for moneyline bets, and this is where points spread betting comes in order. This betting type adds a certain number of points/goals to the underdogs at the beginning of the game. In this case, you can get best odds backing the favorites to win by a specific margin.
- Teaser Betting: A teaser bet is used when you are not satisfied with the lines set by points spread betting. This market allows you to move the line between 4 and 10 points. The luxury of doing so makes this specific betting type particularly popular among the Americans.
Top 10 Sport Events to bet on at Best Betting Sites
Following the latest industry trends, the best betting sites in America are constantly increasing the range of sports and betting markets. The five major leagues will always be dominant for punters across the country. However, the number of different sports in the betting catalog is a significant parameter that distinguishes the best sports betting websites from the rest of the field. Here is the list of ten of the most popular events Americans can bet on nowadays:
- Political Betting: Political Betting is used by best betting websites as a part of their gambling portfolio. If you wish to switch from sports courts/arenas to get somewhat more exotic markets, betting on the next presidential elections in America or any other part of the world might just do the job.
- Super Bowl Betting: If you ask regular Americans about their most favorite sports league, the vast majority would say NFL. We should thus not be surprised knowing that best online sports betting sites take millions of dollars in wagers for Super Bowl betting.
- NBA Betting: From Michael Jordan to Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, the biggest basketball league in the world has produced so many idols to kids from all over the planet. The game under the rims will always have a special place in the hearts of all Americans. NBA betting will be among the favorite activities for local punters as long as sports betting is legal in the country.
- Baseball Betting: It may not have the most significant role for best sports betting sites overseas, but US sports betting sites know how to cherish baseball betting. We can easily understand why knowing that MLB games draw huge crowds on a regular basis.
- Horse Betting: Americans had fancied horse betting much before any other form. The sport spreads across the whole country. The United States are home to some of the biggest horse racing events in the world, including the all-time popular Kentucky Derby.
- NHL Betting: Ice-hockey is known to be one of the fastest games in the world. There is little to compare to an action-packed hockey game. Since America is home to the planet's strongest league, the best online sportsbook will always put NHL betting high on the list of their offer.
- Soccer Betting: MLS has significantly grown in popularity over the last couple of years making soccer betting a regular market for the US punters. Add super-exciting European competitions such as Champions League, English Premier League, or Spanish La Liga to the field and you will get a whole package of fantastic betting opportunities.
- Tennis Betting: It may not be among the top-tier sports to bet on across the United States, but tennis betting truly delivers a unique experience. We can enjoy elite ATP and WTA tournaments throughout the entire year. Operators usually offer the best sports betting deals during Grand Slam events.
- Daytona 500 Betting: It is very hard to predict winners in the Daytona 500, but the Great American Race is by far the most exciting event of its kind in the United States. This is why Daytona 500 Betting has to find a well-deserved spot on our list.
- CSGO Betting: We’ve witnessed a huge rise of the esports industry in the last few years. CSGO Betting has thus suddenly become a real deal across the country given the game is a classic and bettors do recognize it.
Our Test Categories for Best Sports Betting Sites
We at Betting Billy deal with legal sports betting operators exclusively. You will not find a single unreliable sportsbook here. Our main goal is to provide you with everything you need to know about all 100% safe and reliable sports betting hubs (both online and offline) across the United States. We’ve thoroughly researched each of these operators to be able to write honest reviews based on ten main test categories. These involve:
Betting Offer: The first parameter bettors will be interested in while looking to sign up at an online sportsbook is the range of its betting offer. The more sports and markets a certain operator has covered, the more betting options you’ll have at disposal.
Parlay Picks: While betting on singles is a much safer and more successful way to go long-term, we all sometimes want to try our luck with parlays. The more events they include, the higher the payout will be. You can find the best sports betting sites for parlay picks at Betting Billy.
In-Play Betting: In-play betting has become a highly important part of any sportsbook’s offer in recent times. An operator with a strong, fast, and reliable live betting platform has a huge advantage over its competitors. We have considered this significant parameter in our reviews.
Mobile Betting: We've all adjusted to the fast lifestyle and the betting industry is not an exception. Bettors prefer to have the luxury of placing wagers from the comfort of their homes or on the go. This is why operators with the best sports betting apps will always rank high at Betting Billy.
Welcome Bonus & Promotions: Most casinos and sports betting sites use promotions as the key tool to attract new customers. The operator with the best sports betting bonus will have a place at the heart of our main page.
Support: Every single sportsbook wants the bettor to keep the main focus on placing sports wagers. This is why it is in their best interest to assist the players in the fastest possible way through any of the multiple support channels.
Payment Options: It can be annoying to find out that a certain sports betting site does not accept your preferred banking method. This is why most operators tend to offer as many options as possible to their customers.
Limits & Odds: Putting everything else aside, you can never be profitable long-term on a site with sub-par betting odds. This is one of the key elements in the industry and we will make sure to let you know where you can get the best price for your picks.
Usability: The usability of the desktop/mobile platform may not be the crucial criterion, but can make the difference between two or more similar betting hubs. An aesthetically-appealing and eye-pleasing layout will certainly improve the overall quality of the operator’s offer.
Security: None of the aforementioned parameters would have any significance without the safety element. Luckily, all of the sports betting sites you can find at Betting Billy are fully licensed and legal, providing the highest possible level of safety.
- Betting Offer
- Parlay Picks
- In-Play Betting
- Mobile Betting
- Welcome Bonus & Promotions
- Payment Options
- Limits & Odds
Finding an ideal sports betting site can be a much more challenging task than you think. There are just too many factors to pay attention to. First of all, you need to know what you are specifically looking for because in most cases you'll have to sacrifice one element for another. You'll find a better betting offer on one site, but another will welcome you with a more lucrative bonus. If in doubt, feel free to check the following list of factors you have to consider before registering with any sports betting site.
- League & market availability
- Betting odds
- Mobile betting platform
- Live betting options
- Customer support
- Parlay selections
- Payment options
- Fast cashouts
- Welcome bonus
- Other betting promotions
Our Top 5 Sports Betting Bonuses
The most lucrative sports betting bonus out there does not necessarily have to be the highest rewarding one. The wagering criterion that comes in together with the bonus plays a significant role. Although we've rated the strongest bonuses in the niche, the top-placed operator in this segment does not have to be the best option for all bettors. Please make sure to check the terms and conditions associated with every single bonus before claiming one.
Our Top 5 Betting Apps
Betting on the go has become a common feature offered by all serious operators in the industry. We have reviewed all of the best online betting apps in the United States, but it is important to know that our top-rated choice may not be the most appropriate one for your specific mobile device. Anyhow, proper sports betting app has to offer an enjoyable experience packed with bountiful markets for both pre-game and in-play betting.
5 Tips for the Beginning
Money Management: If you are a beginner, the most important piece of advice someone can give you is to mind the bankroll management. Set your goal, determine whether you are betting for fun or you are looking for a long-term profit. Regardless of how certain you are in a specific outcome, never exaggerate with the money you spend on one bet.
Gamble Responsibly: Before placing any sports wager, you have to know there is a chance you will lose. The risk factor is always included and you should never bet with money you can’t afford to lose. Whenever you invest the cash in a certain bet, have in mind you may not get it again if your prediction proves out to be wrong.
Select Different Sportsbooks: As much as you may like a specific operator, you should always open accounts at various bookies. Diversity can only bring you positive things. Why not taking advantage of all promotions you can claim at distinct venues? Furthermore, you'll get a higher chance of catching the best odds for a specific event being present at several sportsbooks.
Bet on What You Know: This is a piece of highly-important advice. You can easily get lost in the sea of numerous betting opportunities nowadays. Stick to the sport you love. You'll have a much higher chance of winning by betting on a sport you are familiar with.
Use Billy’s List: Finally, you will have a huge help from our professional tipsters. Following Billy’s List’s picks will no doubts increase your chances of being profitable long-term. Our experts in different sports spend hours and hours analyzing specific matches to produce the best possible prediction for you. Make sure not to miss out on this.
If you are new to sports betting, this review will no doubts be of huge help. Make sure to read it and to follow Betting Billy. Helping the less experienced bettors is one of our main goals and we have so many resources to do so.
When was sports betting legalized in the United States?
Sports betting became legal on the federal level in May 2018 when the Supreme Court repealed PASPA. However, it is up to every single state to determine whether or not it would permit the activity within its borders. Nevada and New Jersey were among the first to do so, while many others have followed. The list of states that have embraced sports betting changes on a regular basis.
Among many other parameters, we will use pricing as a factor to compare all legal sports betting sites/apps in the United States. Aside from our page, you can sign up to numerous operators and compare the odds yourself.
This depends on numerous factors. First of all pay attention to the amount of money you can afford to lose. Secondly, check all available welcome bonuses and tend to make the most of them. If a specific sportsbook offers a 100% bonus up to $200, the best way to go would be depositing $200 and taking the max advantage.
It takes a lot of knowledge and patience for a bettor to stay profitable long-term while placing sports bets. The answer to the question is positive, though. Billy’s List will be a huge help for beginners. Also, always mind the bankroll management and place wagers only on sports you have a profound knowledge of.
Online sportsbooks, as well as brick-and-mortar casinos/sports betting operators, make money thanks to the vigorish (vig). It is the house edge or a fee charged by a sportsbook for accepting the bets. Operators generally do not have an interest in creating a preference for one result. The vig ensures them profit regardless of the outcome of a specific event.
This depends on your desires. If you are specifically looking for a long-term profit, we would advise single or double bets. The fewer the events you have invested money into is, the higher your chance of winnings. If you are rather going for fun times and the potential to win big, then you should chase parlays with multiple legs.
Generally not, but who can resist placing a bet on the biggest sporting event in the country? We`ve witnessed numerous shocking results in Super Bowl history. In reality, it is very hard to successfully predict the winner between two (usually) evenly-matched sides. It’s ok for fun and small stakes, though.
Yes! The age restriction differs from one state to another. In most states, you have to be at least 21-year-old to place a real-money sports wager. There are some exceptions where you can legally join the sports betting operator as an 18-year-old US citizen. It all depends on the state laws.
Every single sports betting operator that runs under the state license provides a 100% secure betting environment. Any sportsbook you can see at Betting Billy is fully safe as we will never promote unreliable betting sites or Android betting apps.