US Online Sports Betting & Odds in 2020
After many years, legal sports betting in USA is finally available and we have all the resources you need to make the right bets and beat the bookies at their own game. Betting Billy offers extensive reviews of all the best sports betting sites in the USA, rated in different important categories. Use Billy’s list to gain access to exclusive premium betting tips and parlays and find legal bookmakers in your state to get right into the action and start making your bets.
- Legal Sports Betting in the USA
- Online Sports Betting vs. Offline Sports Betting
- Legal vs. Offshore Sports Betting
- Sports Betting: 5 Most played Betting Types
- Top 10 Sport Events to bet on at Sports Betting
- Our Test Categories for Sports Betting Sites
- Checklist: Registration
- Our Top 5 Sports Betting Bonuses
- Our Top 5 Betting Apps
- 5 Tips for Betting in Sports
Legal Sports Betting in the USA
For the longest time, online betting in USA was illegal in all the states. At first, this form of gambling was simply not regulated, but later a federal law called PASPA (Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act) which was passed in 1992 completely banned sports betting on a national level. The only state that could still offer retail sports betting was Nevada and this did not change until 2018.
In 2018, the Supreme Court decided, upon the request of New Jersey, that PASPA was unconstitutional and could not be enforced upon the states. Their decision was that each state in America could decide for itself whether to allow of prohibit sports betting within its borders. This decision started a chain reaction with numerous states starting to work on their own sports betting legislations.
Today, sports betting is legal in a number of states, while others have not yet legalized it. There are states working up to a bill at this time and some others that are likely to never make sports betting legal within their borders. However, players can also travel to other states to place bets on particular events and casinos across the country are starting to offer betting within their premises.
Unlike just a few years ago, legal sports betting is now a reality in the USA and it is one that is not likely to change anytime soon. With states raking in hundreds of millions in taxes and players having a great time wagering on their favorite sports teams, there is hardly a reason for this form of gambling not to grow even more over the coming years.
Online Sports Betting vs. Offline Sports Betting
When it comes to betting in the USA, players can choose to bet either online or offline. However, some states only allow one of these forms of betting, while others allow both. In states in which offline and online betting are allowed, casinos and other retail betting operators are usually the ones who are granted online sports gambling licenses as well. On the other hand, in some states you can only bet inside the casinos, while a handful of states have only launched a single online betting app to cover the entire market.
There isn’t really too much of a difference between betting live or online when it comes to the available markets and sports for the most parts. Since most bookies run both a live and online bookmaker, the odds you get on your wagers are usually very similar. The convenience is the biggest factor in play of course, as online and mobile betting allows players to bet on the go and place their wagers anywhere they find themselves at the moment. The extra bonuses and promotions that online bookies offer make the whole deal even sweeter for the actual users.
Legal vs. Offshore Sports Betting
When it comes to online sports betting in the USA, international and offshore bookmakers have been offering it for many years. However, these bookies have no legal license to operate in the USA and are taking American bets illegally, making them very dangerous to bet with. Betting on an offshore site is pretty much the same as betting with an illegal bookie in your home town, as these people are breaking the law when they accept bets.
While betting with an illegal live bookie may get a person into legal troubles, betting on an online offshore betting site is less likely to do so. However, this still does not mean you should even sign up to such sportsbooks. These sites have no legal obligation to pay you your winnings, honor bonuses and promotions or any other promises. For this and other reasons, we highly recommend staying well away from any offshore site or any site that does not have a legal operating license in your state and instead playing with legal US betting sites.
Sports Betting: 5 Most played Betting Types
When we talk about sports betting, it is important to understand that we are talking about a very broad concept. The vast sports betting industry has evolved and created opportunities for players to bet on countless different betting markets, with numerous betting types offered up to players. Here are a few of the most popular betting types in American sportsbooks:
- Hedge Betting: Hedging or Hedge Betting is a popular form of sports betting among smart bettors who want to secure a profit from their bets. Placing bets on different outcomes of the same betting market with different bookies can ensure you win no matter what happens, which is why hedge bets are sometimes not allowed on some online sportsbooks.
- Moneyline Betting: Moneyline bets are the simplest form of bets you can make and even if you didn’t know it was called a moneyline, you have probably made one at some point. A moneyline bet is a bet where the player chooses which team or side is going to win and is offered the odds on it happening, which makes it the most popular betting type out there.
- Over/Under Betting: If you don’t care to guess which side is going to win but simply how many goals or points will be scored in total, the over/under bet is your ideal betting market. Place a bet on over or under with a certain line being offered by the bookie as the starting point and watch the game rooting for nothing but action.
- Point Spread Betting: A point spread bet is similar to handicap betting. These bets add points to one of the two competing sides in order to equalize the teams and make it more likely that players will actually place bets, since the odds on such bets can be closer together.
- Prop Betting: When betting online, players are often given a chance to place a prop bet on the matches. Prop bets can include all types of events on the pitch that are not directly related to the final result and they make watching the games so much more fun and exciting.
Top 10 Sport Events to bet on at Sports Betting
The biggest advantage of online sports betting is the fact that players get to bet on so many different sports and competitions in a single place, without even having to walk down to the sportsbook. We bring you a list of the top 10 most popular sporting and other events that you can find at top sports betting sites in America:
- Super Bowl Betting: Super Bowl is the one sporting event that the vast majority of Americans end up watching, for one reason or another. This event is not only popular for watching, but Super Bowl betting is also very popular among Americans and is now available at online sportsbooks as well.
- Political Betting: Almost all legal bookmakers in the USA offer political betting along with sports betting. Betting on political events like elections, referendums and other political situations in the world has been increasingly popular over the last few years in the world and America alike.
- Football Betting: NFL is the country’s most popular sporting league, with football having more fans than any other sport. Football betting is available throughout the entire season, with a vast amount of betting markets offered for each round of the competition.
- NBA Betting: By far the best basketball league in the world, NBA draws massive numbers of fans and is certainly a competition that fans like to bet on. Now that it’s finally legal to bet in many states, you expect local fans to put their money where their mouths are in a big way and make NBA betting extremely popular.
- Baseball Betting: Along with basketball and football, baseball is another American sport that has a huge number of followers. If you are more into the MLB than NLF or NBA, you can be sure to find plenty of baseball betting opportunities at various legal boomakers in the USA.
- Hockey Betting: Hockey is a sport that is extremely popular in the north and near the Canadian border. Hockey betting is available for both the NHL and other international leagues and competitions, so fans can make some hockey bets nearly all year round.
- Golf Betting: While it is not as popular as football or baseball, golf betting is certainly quite present among the fans of the game. Those who like to keep track of the entire season often like to make some wagers as well and you can now join them using any online betting app.
- F1 Betting: Motor sports are not as popular among bettors as football or martial arts, but there is no shortage of people interested in betting on F1. F1 betting is available on American online sportsbooks along with other motor sports like NASCAR and motor races.
- eSports Betting: The new brand of sports is growing by the day, with millions of viewers glued to their screens for the biggest events. With the rise in their popularity, eSports betting is also growing and more and more opportunities are being presents by the day.
- MMA Betting: MMA matches draw more bets than any other single event out there and it’s not even close. In fact, some of the big matches get so much betting action that MMA betting alone is enough to pay the fighters tens of millions of dollars to fight just a single match.
Our Test Categories for Sports Betting Sites
Our job at Betting Billy is to make sure that bettors have up to date information on sports gambling in their state. Here, you can find out if your state has a sports betting bill in place, which bookies are licensed to operate and which ones are the best. Our reviews are based on 10 important criteria that make an online bookmaker what it is. These include:
Betting Offer: The first criteria we look at when rating an online bookmaker is the list of sports, events and markets it has to offer. The betting offer is very important as it gives many different players chances to bet on their preferred event if it is extensive and versatile.
Parlay Picks: Parlays are not everyone’s preference, but plenty of punters do enjoy wagering some cash on a parlay. For them, we look at how parlay picks work on the given bookmaker and what kind of parlays can be made up from different sports, leagues and markets.
In-Play Betting: Live betting is something that no modern bookmaker can be without. We rated the live betting platforms of all the legal bookmakers in every state in America and made sure to promote the best ones on our lists.
Mobile Betting: Having a solid sports betting app gives a bookmaker an edge over the competition. This is simply because so many players nowadays prefer to bet on the go. We rate mobile betting options highly and increate a bookie’s rating based on their mobile app performance.
Welcome Bonus & Promotions: What kind of bonuses and promos does the bookie offer? This can be just as important as the betting offer and the quality of the actual app. We always recommend signing up with bookmakers that offer plenty of extra value through their promotional offers.
Support: The best online bookmakers make sure to always give their customers the kind of attention they deserve. This is why they always do their best to provide the highest possible quality of customer service.
Payment Options: A wide selection of payment options is another trait of a high quality betting operator. We rate not only the selection of payment methods but also the speed at which payments are processed and the fees associated with deposits and cashouts with each method.
Limits & Odds: The betting odds are key to betting in sports. That is why you always want to bet on the site that offers the best odds and having multiple accounts with different bookies can be useful. If you want to bet for high stakes, make sure to choose a bookmaker with the highest betting limits.
Usability: The quality of the actual betting platform can be important as it makes everything that much easier. While the usability of the platform is not the main factor in which site you should choose, it can be the deciding one if things are close between two operators.
Security: Finally, always make sure you are safe when betting online. To do this, you must choose a betting site that has all the security features that ensure player safety and we look at these features when rating bookies in America.
- Betting Offer
- Parlay Picks
- In-Play Betting
- Mobile Betting
- Welcome Bonus & Promotions
- Payment Options
- Limits & Odds
There are many solid online bookmakers in the USA today, but you should always be betting with the one that satisfies your personal preferences the best. To make sure you get the best experience, you should do a quick check of the operator and these are some of the things you may want to consider before you sign up:
- League & market availability
- Betting odds
- Mobile betting platform
- Live betting options
- Customer support
- Parlay selections
- Payment options
- Fast cashouts
- Welcome bonus
- Other betting promotions
Our Top 5 Sports Betting Bonuses
One amazing thing about sports betting on the internet is that you get to claim plenty of extra money to bet with. The best online sports betting bonuses can add hundreds of dollars to your betting bankroll and give you a great head start. Make sure you check out the bonus options out there before you sign up and claim the ones that have the best relative value for you.
Our Top 5 Betting Apps
Another advantage that online bookmakers add to the players is the fact they can now bet on the go. The great selection of sports betting apps in the USA is another thing to look forward to. Choose a legal betting app in your state and sign up to get a chance to place your bets at any time and in any place you choose.
5 Tips for Betting in Sports
Use Your Money Wisely: One of the most important things to be careful in sports betting is your bankroll. Make sure you make bets proportional to your bankroll and never go out of your way to put yourself at excessive financial jeopardy.
Make use of bonuses: Sports betting bonuses can be a great way to boost your bankroll and make your money go a long way. Use any free bets and bonus cash you can to increase your chances of winning good money in the long run.
Shop around: Playing on multiple online sportsbooks is the best option a bettor can take. This way, you can make sure that you are always getting the best odds, not missing out on any good promotions and using all the perks that are available in your state.
Mind the odds: You may be tempted to bet on your favorite team or simply on the favorite in every single game. However, this is not always the best idea and sometimes you simply need to make bets based on the odds. If the odds are favorable enough, any bet can be a good one, so make sure to look for value, not try to guess what’s going to happen.
Use Billy’s List: Billy’s List is your ultimate source of great betting tips! The best thing about it is that you can use it for free if you simply sign up for an account with Betting Billy. Register today and get free betting tips every day.
When it comes to the USA, sports betting is already legal in a number of states. At Betting Billy, we keep an updated list of all the states in which you can legally place wagers and all the legal betting in USA that is available. As new states adopt betting bills, we will keep you informed.
As time goes by, more and more states are adopting sports betting bills. It is likely that the majority of states will make sports betting legal at some point, but this is an ongoing process. There are some states that might not legalize sports betting for the foreseeable future however, so be mindful of the current trends in your state and keep updated on all the news.
The selection of legal betting sites varies from one state to another. Each operator must be issued a license for each state it operates in and these are issued by the special licensing bodies. A full list of licensed betting sites for each part of the country is available at Betting Billy.
In order to bet online in America, you will need to sign up with one of the legal betting sites first. Once you have an account, you can access it using the online betting platform or a mobile app, using your initially created credentials to login and start placing your bets.
Once you have an account with an online sportsbook, you will need to make a deposit in order to start making real money bets. You can make deposits into online betting accounts using your credit cards such as Visa or MasterCard or various online payment services like Skrill or NETELLER.
In order to start betting online within the USA, you will first need to be present in one of the states where sports betting is legal. Once you are there, you can create an account with an online bookmaker if you are of legal betting age, which is 21 in most states. Foreigners can also bet online as long as they are within the state where the bookmaker is licensed.
Online betting sites provide their players with a vast selection of betting options and markets. All professional sports and leagues such as the NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB are offered, along with various international sporting competitions, political events and even some amateur sports.
Sports betting odds tell you what kind of money you can make if you place a bet and it is a winner. In the USA, the odds reflect how much money you will make if you place USD 100 or how much you need to place to win USD 100. The more likely a bet is to be a winner, the lower the odds will be.
When you sign up with an online sportsbook, you can expect to be offered some bonuses. A bonus adds money to your betting bankroll and is a reward from the bookmaker for selecting their site. Various other promotions such as free bets and cashback can also be obtained to make your experience even more profitable.
With so many online bookies out there these days, it can be difficult to pick one of them to sign up with. We have made up our own reviews of all the betting sites in the USA, but you should make sure to check them out yourself as well and decide which site meets your personal criteria the best before you sign up.