US Online Sportsbook in 2021
As the United States opens its doors to legal sports betting, we at BettingBilly devote all our energy to help you find the best online sportsbook for yourself. We provide an insight into the US legal situation but also offer a range of sports betting reviews with all the information you might need. You can also sign up for our fully free Billy’s List, setting up your preferences and getting a number of sportsbook sites to choose from.
- Legal Situation in the USA
- Online vs. Offline Sportbooks
- Legal vs. Offshore Online Sportsbook
- Online Sportsbook: 5 Most played Betting Types
- Top 10 Sports Events to bet on at Online Bookmakers
- Our Test Categories
- Checklist: Registration
- Our Top 5 Sports Betting Bonus
- Our Top 5 Betting Apps
- 5 Tips for the Beginning
Legal Situation in the USA
The Supreme Court lifted the federal ban on sports betting in 2018, finding PASPA unconstitutional and allowing individual states to now consider introducing US sportsbooks to the market. We will not go into the more complicated background that led to such a decision but it’s important to note that some of the states reacted quickly and already allowed select sports betting books. Others are still considering such bills and sports betting remains on hold until they’re passed.
Still, the current legal situation has had a great impact on the offshore sportsbook industry, as many players recognize potential troubles they might face. Even players who had previously set up accounts and decided to move money there are now nervously waiting for the changes. At least 15 states already made online sportsbook betting legal and even more are currently considering the same.
This leaves the legal situation no less complicated than it was before and bettors will have to be on the lookout if they’re waiting for the legalization. This also brings our Billy’s List into focus once again, as it allows you a great comparison of what’s currently available and what will be. BettingBilly searches for new developments and is a great place to start your search as well. We thus recommend you sign up and return sooner rather than later even if your state does not allow sports US betting sites yet.
Online vs. Offline Sportbooks
Sportsbook online betting is often closely related to brick-and-mortar casino or retail sportsbooks. Online sportsbook sites get sports gambling licenses through such partnerships but they have a number of advantages over their counterparts.
Making a new account on a sportsbook online provides players with more flexibility. While you have to go to a retail sportsbook or racetrack in order to place a bet, online sportsbooks allow you to do so from your home or mobile devices. Top online sportsbooks are open around the clock, which also means you have more time to do your research and you can place bets at any time. This can make all the difference if you see odds drifting or shortening.
Online sportsbook bonuses are another great reason to pick them. A welcome bonus or free bets serves as a great potential boost to your bankroll. This can make the time you spend adjusting or just starting out easier.
Legal vs. Offshore Online Sportsbook
We already mentioned the offshore sports betting industry and the impact it has felt since the Supreme Court lifted the ban on sports betting in the United States. Offshore companies enjoyed and exploited a gray area in US sportsbook bills but can hardly offer the same level of service as legal online bookmakers.
Online sportsbook reviews show a simple fact: legal sportsbook site takes on more responsibility and holds a more serious approach to sports betting service. Before setting up a new account and making your first deposit, you have to consider risks you are taking. Fully legal and legit companies are regulated by respective state authorities and allow instruments for players to pursue any possible issues.
Offshore sports betting sites, on the other hand, offer no guarantees. Legal sportsbooks offer more security and sensitive data safety, which makes it hard to advise offshore companies only for the possibly lucrative bonus or NBA, NFL, and MLB odds boosts.
Online Sportsbook: 5 Most played Betting Types
Sports betting types are many and the number of markets truly is one of its prime selling points. However, there are some major fan favorites that attract most money and we will now list some of the most played types of bets.
- Point Spread betting: One of the most popular betting types, Point spread has sportsbooks leveling the chances of any outcome by adding a spread. The resulting odds boost makes betting on favorites more appealing, while also giving a reason to bet on heavy underdogs.
- Teaser betting: Obviously, many sites offer you the chance to adjust the point spread to your preference, which is called a Teaser bet. You can add anywhere between 4 and 14 points to the spread and see if the odds are enough to place a bet.
- Moneyline: Moneyline betting is more popular with more evenly matched games. It allows you to select the winner and wager with the provided odds, which makes it one of the simplest and easiest form to master.
- Over/Under betting: Over/Under betting has seen a great rise with the specific stats now available, with lines provided on team points, individual totals, assists, blocks, home runs, and many more across sports and popular league events.
- Hedge Betting: Many pros employ hedge betting as they move across sites to find the best basketball, football, or baseball odds. Once you find inconsistencies, you place bets which will make a slight profit with any possible outcome.
Top 10 Sports Events to bet on at Online Bookmakers
You can find a great range of sports and major events with almost any legal sportsbook site. Still, some of them attract more attention than others and bettors create such trends. Some major US sports and some unexpected markets rise, as we now cover the top 10 events you can bet on.
- Political betting: Just like everything you can speculate, political betting has rightfully caught the eye of many when it first appeared at online sportsbooks. Good sites will let you can bet on just about anything anywhere in the world.
- Football betting: Football has been one of the most popular sports in the United States and football betting rightfully takes the top spot. You can find a great range of events to bet throughout the season, which gives flexibility.
- Super Bowl betting: Super Bowl is certainly the highlight of the season and Super Bowl betting breaks its own records every year. The mega-popular event catches the eye of many bettors and provides thrills even if your favorite team doesn’t make it.
- NBA betting: NBA has played a great role for the offshore sportsbooks over the years and it’s the same for legal bookies early on. NBA betting rakes in money from across the world and has great estimates which will surely prove true as players move to legal providers.
- Baseball betting: Baseball has seen an increase in betting potential of its own although it fails to follow in the footsteps of some other major sports. Baseball betting has a great number of opportunities and World Series attracts its peak attention.
- Soccer betting: Soccer betting is the focal point for sportsbooks around the globe and it’s hard to make a review without mentioning it. Major leagues and events appealing to US bettors include MLS, UEFA Champions League, and the World Cup.
- Tennis betting: ATP proves itself as a great tennis betting leader all year round, with major tournaments attracting attention with outright odds as well as the single games in the offer.
- Horse betting: Horse betting has been one of few constants in the sports betting world. It’s been around for decades and never stops attracting bettors with both brick-and-mortar racetracks and online sportsbooks.
- eSports: Digital era that we live made way to eSports and its great rise over the past decade or two. eSports betting has few obstacles too and it’s now serving as one of the important markets in any offer.
- UFC: Major UFC fights have shown the potential UFC betting holds. UFC has been one of the first sports to return after the Coronavirus outbreak and has had bookies busy in every sense of the word.
Our Test Categories
Whether you are looking for basketball, NFL, or MLB events to bet on, BettingBilly is designed to help you find the perfect sportsbook for yourself. We review each legal site and take them through a number of test categories, as follows:
Betting offer: Where we consider how extensive the site’s offer is, with special regard to major US sports as well as the more exotic choices you might make. It’s important to have a variety of options even if you have your eyes set on favorites.
Parlay picks: Parlays provide an extra kick to your experience and we always take special care of the bookies’ picks. We will always emphasize the quality of the offer in that regard, as we provide the picks through Billy’s List too.
In-play betting: Many bettors enjoy live events and love betting on them in-play. Live betting has seen a great rise lately, which has us going through the offer and rating it too.
Mobile betting: It’s always important to be able to bet on the go, even if a mobile device is not your preference. You might want to grab those odds when desktop is not an option. We thus review the mobile site and online sportsbook app with great caution.
Welcome bonus and promotions: We check and compare the deposit bonus to other big guns in the industry, while also digging into promos and odds boosts every sportsbook offers.
Support: Having no issues early on does not mean you don’t need customer support. We always check out the support channels and find out how the staff handles different questions, from deposit methods to game selection and live lines.
Payment options: It’s very important to know which deposit and withdrawal methods you can use. We go into the payment options and their restrictions, timeframes, as well as the fees.
Limits and odds: Odds are not a constant but it’s important to see your preferred bookie serves competitive odds for your favorite sports. We also check out betting limits to find if they suit your style.
Usability: Finally, we go through the website and mobile apps to see if the design serves usability too. It’s important to have a user-friendly experience and not to struggle getting your way around the site.
Security: Legal bookies will often boast great security but we also have a closer look at their systems. We check out the payment process, data encryption, and see how it bodes online.
- Betting Offer
- Parlay Picks
- In-Play Betting
- Mobile Betting
- Welcome Bonus & Promotions
- Payment Options
- Limits & Odds
We always suggest making a checklist of your own and ticking all of your preferences in the process of selecting your favorite sportsbook or casino offers. These are some of the features we are looking for:
- League & market availability
- Betting odds
- Mobile betting platform
- Live betting options
- Customer support
- Parlay selections
- Payment options
- Fast cashouts
- Welcome bonus
- Other betting promotions
Our Top 5 Sports Betting Bonus
As with every other aspect listed on the checklist above, grabbing a sportsbook bonus to use on your favorite games in a decision you have to make on your own. There are a number of providers with great welcome bonus offers out there and we’ll now list some of the best!
Our Top 5 Betting Apps
Just like a bonus makes the difference, quality sports betting app will do too! While it might not be the only reason for you to pick a bookie, we now list the best sportsbooks you can sign up with if you’ll play the game on mobile devices.
5 Tips for the Beginning
Still, before going to create an account and bet on your favorite NBA or MLB games for the first time, you have to take a couple of things into consideration. Here’s what we consider the most important advice one can offer:
Bet on what you know about: It’s best to start with sports or a league you are familiar with. It’s OK to shift your focus for a game or two, but we strongly suggest doing your research first.
Go for more than a single bookie: Compare betting offers and odds. You can easily set up more than a single account and compare the games in offer, live betting, and other lines.
Manage your money: Make a bankroll and stick to it. It’s important to know your limits and there’s no better way but to set a certain amount of money you want to invest. You should never try to cover your losses with extra money or reach for your pocket just because you want to grab those great odds on a basketball match.
Gamble responsibly: When deciding how much money to invest to your first bankroll, make sure to only bet with money you can afford to lose. It’s best not to use money you already set aside for other things and certainly not go into debt just so you could bet.
Pros can help: Yes, it’s good to see what the pros are betting on from time to time. You can follow their advice or go for the betting tips, both of which we make available through Billy’s List as well.
Wagering on sports was not made legal on a federal level but the Supreme Court lifted a ban on it back in 2018. This has allowed states to consider and pass bills that would legalize real money sports wagering.
The number of states is constantly rising and while it might feel tough to keep up with the change, you can find a more detailed review of the states where sports betting is legal by signing up for Billy’s List right here.
Yes, many states have legalized sports betting already but one cannot start a sportsbook of their own. No state has passed or even considered a bill that would make online sports betting a free market.
New sports betting sites have been popping across the country and it’s hard to say, as it largely depends on individual players’ preferences. This includes major features such as bonuses, banking methods, but also the betting offer and if it includes sports you bet on such as NHL, golf, or college basketball.
First of all, you need to be 21 and a resident of a state where it’s legal to bet online. The process itself is quick and seamless, just make sure to provide correct data. You will have to provide legal documents proving your ID and status.
Yes, many of the best sportsbooks allow you to deposit and withdraw with PayPal. It’s important to note that you might be forced to withdraw with PayPal if you use it as your deposit method in the first place.
Yes, there is a number of sites offering bonuses and we have listed some of the best ones above. Make sure you read through the terms and conditions carefully before you start wagering, though, as there might be requirements before you can withdraw.
There is an array of sports and markets you can choose from. These range from NFL and college football, NHL, NBA and college basketball, soccer to e-Sports, politics, and more.
Yes, legal sportsbooks hold such a guarantee and they are regulated by all appropriate authorities. This means your funds are safe and all your sensitive data is protected as well.
If you encounter any issues, it’s best to contact the sportsbook’s customer support via one of the available channels. Best providers have a number of different options, including live chat, e-mail, and phone numbers.