US Sports Gambling in 2021
Betting Billy welcomes you to the world of legal sports gambling. With retail and online sports betting now getting legalized in a growing number of states, you have come to the right place to learn more about it. We provide you with detailed and objective list of top sports betting sites in your state, exclusive betting tips you can sign up for free through Billy’s List and plenty of other resources that will help turn you into a winning sports bettor.
- Online vs. Offline Sports Gambling
- Legal vs. Offshore Online Sports Gambling
- Sports Gambling: 5 Most Played Betting Types
- Top 10 Sport Events to bet on at Sports Gambling
- Our Test Categories for Sports Gambling Sites
- Checklist: Registration
- Our Top 5 Sports Betting Bonuses
- Our Top 5 Betting Apps
- 5 Online Gambling Tips for Sports Betting
Online vs. Offline Sports Gambling
Both live and online sports betting are not available in some of the American states and the real question before every bettor is whether to bet on a betting app or walk down to the casino to place a bet. Sports gambling sites that are out there offer plenty of advantages over the classic live betting, which makes them a better choice almost every time.
For those bettors who are not familiar with how online bookies work, we can tell you that the main advantages of betting online include being able to bet at any time and in any place and being able to claim generous bonuses and free bets which are not offered by retail bookies.
Signing up with one of the legal betting sites in you state will give you access to promotions and free bets that add extra value to your betting experience. What’s more, online bookmakers tend to offer best odds and a wider choice of betting markets, making them an easy choice for serious sports bettors.
Legal vs. Offshore Online Sports Gambling
For a long time, punters in America could not make bets online on any legal sites. This was due to a law known as PASPA, which prohibited organizing of sports betting on a federal level. Once this law was repealed by the Supreme Court in 2018, states began issuing sports betting licenses and legal betting sites finally appeared.
Today, there are very few reasons to bet with any offshore bookmakers. These sites don’t offer any security or guarantee that a player will get paid when they win money, so betting there is equal to asking for trouble. What’s more, these sites are hard to deposit into and even harder to get a cashout from, making it very hard to bet on them.
We advise all American players to wager only on legal betting sites and never play on any offshore site. If the state you live in has not yet legalized online sports gambling, we advise you to wait until that happens or make bets while you are visiting other states in which betting is already legal.
Sports Gambling: 5 Most Played Betting Types
One of the biggest advantages of the online sports gambling sites is the fact they offer so many different betting types and markets. Some of the most popular betting types that can be found at online betting sites in America include:
- Hedge Betting: This type of betting guarantees the player a slight win and is used by some professional sports bettors to beat the bookies. Hedge betting requires the player to bet on multiple sites and find discrepancies in the betting odds that guarantee a win in every scenario.
- Moneyline Betting: A moneyline bet is the simplest form of bet, which only requires your selected team to win the game. Moneyline betting is the most frequent type of sports betting in the world and is available at all betting sites.
- Over/Under Betting: If you prefer to bet on a game being action packed or dead, than an over/under bet may be your best bet to make. Betting on the number of goals or points in a game can be an easier way to make money on a game you expect will be extremely wild or very tactical.
- Point Spread Betting: If you want to bet on the favorites but don’t like the odds on a moneyline bet, a points spread bet will be in order. Point spread adds points to the weaker side at the start of the game, making the odds on the two sides more evenly balanced.
- Teaser Betting: Not happy with just making point spread bets? A teaser bet allows you to alter the point spreads between 4 and 10 points, making it that much easier to make the bet that you like. Teaser bets are extremely popular in the USA and are available on the best online sports gambling sites in America.
Top 10 Sport Events to bet on at Sports Gambling
The numerous sports gambling companies that are starting to offer betting opportunities across America are making sure to give players an opportunity to bet on any sport or event of their choice. We have a quick look at the most popular betting events out there and bring you the list of the most popular events you can bet on:
- Political Betting: While it’s not actually sports betting, political betting is offered at almost all of the best sports gambling sites in the USA. Bet on the next presidential elections in America or other political events around the world and win big!
- Super Bowl Betting: Super Bowl is easily the single most important sports event in the USA. Each year, millions of sports bets are made on it and super bowl betting is now available at all legal bookies across the USA.
- Baseball Betting: Baseball is one of the most popular sports in the USA and it comes as no surprise that so many baseball bets are made in the country each week that MLB goes on. Baseball betting is becoming more popular as new states allow sports betting within their borders.
- Football Betting: No sport can overtake football in popularity when America is concerned. Football betting takes up the largest part of all bets in almost every state where online gambling is legal and you can now bet on football games across the entire season with each of the licensed bookies.
- NBA Betting: NBA games draw huge crowds to the actual games, but also massive interest among sports bettors. NBA betting was one of the most popular betting types with illegal bookies in the past and now that sports betting is legal it is proving to be a lucrative market for them as well.
- Horse Betting: Horse racing was the first sport that saw people bet on a massive scale, with pari-mutuel betting being the first legal form of gambling in so many states. Horse betting is now available at legal American betting sites with hundreds of races available each day.
- Soccer Betting: Are you more into the European soccer leagues or even America’s own MLS? Soccer betting can prove just as interesting and lucrative as football or baseball betting if you know what you are doing, so if you know your soccer why not place some bets and see how things go?!
- Tennis Betting: The ATP circuit gives so many betting opportunities, with major tournaments happening all year round and offering amazing action across the board. Tennis betting gives ideal opportunity for live betting with each point, game and set giving new chance to wager some cash and try your luck.
- eSports Betting: eSports are a new form of entertainment and competition among the world’s young “athletes”. eSports betting is similar to betting on any sport, except the outcome often rests on the shoulders of competitors who are extremely young and sometimes a bit too volatile.
- UFC Betting: UFC Betting is the exact reason that UFC fighters get paid so much as people simply love to place some cash on the modern gladiators. You can now bet on UFC matches at any online betting platform with a license in America and you can count on plenty of betting opportunities being offered for the big fights.
Our Test Categories for Sports Gambling Sites
Betting Billy is your source of useful and reliable information on sports betting in America. We have tested each licensed bookmaker in every state and we provide you with detailed reviews of each site. Our reviews are based on ten basic test categories which ensure the quality and comprehensive service that every legal bookie should be able to offer. Our test categories are:
Betting Offer: The overall betting list is the number one thing players should look at. The more betting options are offered, the more chance of finding a bet you like. This is why betting offer is the first category we look at when rating a sportsbook.
Parlay Picks: Parlays can be a lot of fun and also quite lucrative if you can find some good picks. Parlay picks can differ from one bookmaker to another, and we always look to promote bookmakers who offer the best parlay picks first.
In-Play Betting: Live or in-play betting is very important, especially in some sports like tennis where things change quickly. We rate bookies on the merit of their in-play betting platform as one of our ten testing criteria.
Mobile Betting: Betting on the go has become the norm in the world and America alike, so we must take this into consideration. The offer of some solid sports gambling apps is one of the things that makes a bookmaker rank highly with Betting Billy.
Welcome Bonus & Promotions: Bonuses, free bets and boosted odds all greatly increase the players’ chances of winning money when betting. This is why bonuses are one of the key rating criteria we use in our sports betting site reviews.
Support: High quality customer support is crucial for a good user experience at any site, including an online sportsbook. We take the availability and quality of the customer service very seriously and rank sites based on it heavily.
Payment Options: The variety of payment options and the speed/efficiency with which payments are processed can be key for some punters. We make sure to give the highest rankings to sites that do well in the payments department as well.
Limits & Odds: Regardless of how nice a site may look and feel, the betting odds are the most important thing. If a bookmaker offers sub-par betting odds, we will never give it a high rating as there is little chance of winning money at such a site.
Usability: The overall quality of the platform that a bookie uses and the layout of their site/app can be a nice addition to the betting offer, odds and other important criteria. The usability of the site in question is our number 9 criteria.
Security: Last but certainly not the least, is the security of the site. All licensed betting sites are obligated by law to keep their players well protected and safe, but we still always want to make sure that the security protocols in place are on a high level.
- Betting Offer
- Parlay Picks
- In-Play Betting
- Mobile Betting
- Welcome Bonus & Promotions
- Payment Options
- Limits & Odds
Before you proceed to sign up with any single bookmaker, you should make sure you are making the right choice. Our reviews will give you a good idea of what’s on offer on each site, but you want to make sure that the bookie satisfies both your personal needs and the minimum requirements in terms of licensing, security, etc. Check off the items on this list to make sure you are making the right choice:
- League & market availability
- Betting odds
- Mobile betting platform
- Live betting options
- Customer support
- Parlay selections
- Payment options
- Fast cashouts
- Welcome bonus
- Other betting promotions
Our Top 5 Sports Betting Bonuses
Choosing a sports betting bonus to claim is a personal decision that every player will have to make for themselves. While we have rated some of the best bonuses out there, the winner of this comparison is not always the best choice for every player. Make sure to check out various online gambling USA bonuses before you sign up for one and claim it yourself.
Our Top 5 Betting Apps
Choosing a sports betting app is something you will have to do before you can start making your mobile bets. We have created a detailed comparison of the best legal betting apps in the USA, but the final choice will always be yours. Make sure to get an app that works well on your phone, offers a lot of betting opportunities and best possible odds and bonuses.
5 Online Gambling Tips for Sports Betting
Manage Your Money: Bankroll management is easily the most important factor that should be taken into consideration with any form of gambling. If you are going to bet on sports, make sure you have enough cash to handle the possible losses.
Gamble Responsibly: Sports betting can be extremely thrilling and fun, but you need to know your limits. Make sure you are only betting the money you can afford to lose and that losses will not hurt you or your family financially.
Bet What You Know: Betting on sports and events you know a lot about gives you a better chance of winning money in the long run. Make sure to place bets only on events you understand and don’t make random bets on events outside of your grasp.
Choose Multiple Bookies: Betting on more than one betting site gives you a chance to always get the best possible odds for your bets. Sign up with multiple legal bookies so you can take advantage of all the promotions and always get the best odds that are offered.
Use Billy’s List: Professional betting tips are the best chance for most players to make a winning bet. Check out Billy’s List for a detailed look into the best betting picks made by our betting experts and use these tips to form your bets and beat the bookies.
Sports betting is not legalized on a federal level in the USA. However, the Supreme Court repealed the law that prohibited sports betting across the country (PASPA) in 2018, which gave states a chance to regulate sports betting on a local level, which many states have already done.
The list of states that allow online gambling for sports is constantly changing with new states passing the bills to allow this form of gambling. States like Nevada, New Jersey and Pennsylvania were among the first to regulate sports betting, with many others following in the same footsteps.
Sports gambling is allowed in numerous American states, with betting bills being in the works in several others as well. Depending on the state in question, players may be able to bet in live casinos, racetracks and via online betting sites and iPhone betting apps.
This depends heavily on the state you live in, but it is likely that at some point most states will have some form of legal sports betting regulated. You can keep checking Betting Billy for up to date information on sports gambling by state.
Many states in America have already legalized mobile sports betting and others are also working on legalizing it in the near future. Majority of all the states that have passed any kind of a betting bill have also allowed at least one mobile betting operator to get licensed.
This can depend a little on the actual state you are trying to bet in. However, regardless of the specific state you are betting in, you will need to have an adequate sports gambling age (usually 21 and sometimes 18) before you can place any wagers and will also need to provide some personal information to bet online.
Sports betting can be profitable for some players, but it is not easy to become a profitable sports bettor by any means. One good way to show a profit from sports betting is by placing bets in accordance with some professional tips, which we provide via our Billy’s List that contains some very solid tips every week.
When you first sign up with an online bookmaker, you will usually get some kind of a welcome bonus, free bet or other form of bonus. All betting bonuses add some value to every bet you make, so you should make sure to try and get as many bonuses as possible.
There isn’t really a single form of sports betting that is better than others for all players. Each player should make sure to bet on the sport and even they know best in order to try and get the biggest profit from it. What’s more, we suggest making bets on classic betting markets as they tend to offer the most realistic odds.
As long as you are betting with one of the legal bookmakers in America, you will have every chance to withdraw your winnings straight into your bank account or using one of the other available payment methods. If you bet with offshore and illegal bookies, we cannot guarantee that a cashout will be processed.