The UFC returns with a bang after four consecutive weeks without UFC events. The first headliner of the year is a Fight Night featherweight clash featuring top ten ranked fighters Calvin Kattar and Giga Chikadze. It is billed to take place at the UFC Apex facility, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, on January 15, 2022.
The co-main event is a battle of the top fives at women’s flyweight as Katlyn Chookagian takes on Jennifer Maia in a rematch of their first UFC meeting in 2019. The main and preliminary cards for this opening event of the year are sprinkled with many exciting matchups that will give the fans a taste of the action to come over the next 12 months. Stay with us for the best bets, odds, tips, and predictions for the night.
UFC Fight Night: Kattar vs. Chikadze General Information:
- Date: Saturday, January 15, 2022
- TV-Time: ESPN+, 10:00 p.m. ET
- Venue: T-Mobile Arena
- Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
- Fights: 5 Fights on the Main Card and 6 fights on the Preliminary Card
- Main Event: Calvin Kattar vs. Giga Chikadze
Expert Pick #1 – Chikadze to win @-178
Highly-skilled featherweight strikers Calvin “The Boston Finisher” Kattar and Giga “Ninja” Chikadze will be facing off in the octagon in a 5-round main event matchup. Kattar comes into this bout on the back of a loss and an extended break from the octagon. His last appearance was in January 2021, and it ended in a damaging defeat at the hands of former featherweight champion Max Holloway.
Chikadze, on the other hand, has been very active in the last year, putting together two very impressive wins to extend his winning streak in the UFC to seven. Chikadze’s devastating leg kicks are his major weapons. His strategy will be to keep Kattar, who has excellent boxing, out of range with punishing kicks to the legs and body.
Kattar has taken some time off the sport to heal his body and polish his techniques. Still, a matchup against Chikadze, where he is stylistically disadvantaged, might not present a chance for the strong comeback he desperately needs. Our experts predict a win for Giga Chikadze on the night as he continues to head towards the featherweight top fives.
Records: Calvin Kattar 22-5-0 | Giga Chikadze 14-2-0 Main Card – Featherweight (145lbs) – Approx. Start Time: 1:00 a.m. ET
Expert Pick #2 – Chookagian to win @–175
Women’s featherweight top-fives Katlyn Chookagian and Jennifer Maia face off for the second time in the UFC when they meet this weekend. Both fighters have had mixed records since going up against each other in 2019. Although, Chookagian is currently ranked higher on the flyweight roster.
Katlyn Chookagian’s path to victory will be the same as in the first meeting between the fighters. With the height and reach advantages over Jennifer Maia, coupled with her superior striking and control, we see her dominating the fight from start to finish and securing the win.
Records: Katlyn Chookagian 16-4-0 | Jennifer Maia 19-7-1 Main Card – (W) Flyweight (125lbs) – Approx. Start Time: 12:00 a.m. ET
Expert Pick #3 – Brito to win @–139
Joanderson Brito and Bill Algeo face off in another exciting featherweight clash on the night. Joanderson Brito comes into the fight on the back of an impressive contender’s series performance that saw him handed a UFC contract by Dana White.
Bill Algeo is the more experienced fighter of the duo, but his time in the UFC has been far from convincing. Against a younger, faster fighter like Brito, who has good grappling and striking and has put together a solid run of 11 wins in a row, we only see this bout ending one way, Joanderson Brito coming out victorious.
Records: Joanderson Brito 21-6-0 |Bill Algeo 14-6-0 Main Card – Featherweight (145lbs) – Approx. Start Time: 11:00 p.m. ET
Complete Card & Predictions for the Night
UFC Fight Night: Kattar vs. Chikadze presents the first event of 2022 with several thrilling matchups arranged on the fight card. Many of these fights could go either way, and they are certain to keep the fans on the edge of their seats. Here are the Predictions, Odds, Bets, and Tips for this weekend:
- Featherweight (145): Calvin Kattar vs. Giga Chikadze – Chikadze via Decision
- (W)Flyweight (125lbs): Katlyn Chookagian vs. Jennifer Maia – Chookagian via Decision
- Flyweight (125lbs): Brandon Royval vs. Rogério Bontorin– Royval via Submission
- Heavyweight (265lbs): Chase Sherman vs. Jake Collier – Sherman via KO/TKO
- Featherweight (145lbs): Joanderson Brito vs. Bill Algeo – Brito via Decision
- Middleweight (185lbs): Jamie Pickett vs. Joseph Holmes – Holmes via KO/TKO
- Welterweight (170lbs): Ramiz Brahimaj vs. Court McGee – Brahimaj via Decision
- Featherweight (145lbs): TJ Brown vs. Gabriel Benitez – Benitez via Decision
- Lightweight (155lbs): Dakota Bush vs. Viacheslav Borshchev – Borshchev via KO/TKO
- Middleweight (185lbs): Brian Kelleher vs. Saidyokub Kakhramonov – Kakhramonov via Decision
- (W) Strawweight (115lbs): Vanessa Demopoulos vs. Silvana Gómez Juaréz – Juaréz via Decision