Futures Betting Explained In 2022
As its name says, futures betting refers to the outcome that is going to be determined in the distant future. It is a type of proposition bet, which means that it is more than just picking a winner of the game. If you haven’t tried futures betting yet, you should give it a shot. Stay tuned, and this guide will provide you with everything you need to know about this sports betting type.
What is Futures betting?
A future bet is a type of wager in which you are betting on the winner of the entire championship, and not only on the winner of a single match. Another name for this kind of bet is outright bet. So, futures betting goes beyond just one game.
Of course, you can wager only on an event that is about to take place and not on the ones which have already ended. If betting on the game after it is finished was possible, then everybody would get rich. However, futures betting is the kind of wagering type where you need to wait until the entire championship finishes to reach its outcome. They are long-term investments since you cannot win your profits until the season ends.
These investment opportunities are very attractive, since you may get pretty generous odds. If you are short on the budget at the beginning of the campaign, you may have not enough funds to wager throughout the season. However, futures odds can bring you a lot of benefits as the potential payouts are way higher in comparison to ones from individual game betting. This kind of wagering is a way to invest in the future, and it is like investing in stock markets. It can happen that your investment won’t go through, but if you succeed, you may end up with significant profits in the long term. The most challenging part is to make the right selection, but the rewards are worth trying. Eventually, futures bets are incredibly fun since you can enjoy the entire championship.
Placing a Future bet: Step-by-Step
The process of placing a future bet is pretty much like other sports wagering types. However, if you haven’t placed futures bets yet, we are going to walk you through all steps. It won’t take you much time to place your first future bet successfully.
- Choose an online sportsbook: There are plenty of sportsbooks that made available sports betting online. The gambling market is quite competitive, bookmakers offer generous odds, and you have a vast number of options to choose from. However, you can always check which are the best online sportsbooks and select your preferred one much more comfortable.
- Create an account and make a deposit: Before you place a bet, you need to sign up for an account first. You can complete the registration just with a few clicks. Also, don’t forget to put some money on the account so you can continue this process.
- Navigate to your selected bet: After you have set everything about your account, it’s time to make a pick. Go to your desired future bet and just click on the odds. Futures bets are usually located under the propositions bets section for the selected sports.
- Place a wager: You are now just a click away from placing your first futures bet. Just enter the stake and hit the Place Bet button. There you go!
Usual sports for placing a Future bet
The possibilities of futures betting are extensive, and this type of wagering applies to many sports. It is not explicitly related to any sport since you can bet on the winner of any competition. In the US, futures sports betting is popular in football, hockey, and basketball. Placing a wager on the Super Bowl or Stanley Cup winner gives extra spice to NFL and NHL.
Futures betting is not only related to picking the winner of the championship. If you are a basketball lover, then you can even place a future bet on the NBA’s MVP award. For the ones who prefer baseball, they can put money on the player who will hit the most home runs in the course of the MLB season. Soccer fans can predict the winner of the Champions League, or which national team can lift the FIFA World Cup trophy.
Indeed, futures betting provides a lot of different options that can be very entertaining for sports bettors.
Examples for Futures betting
Even if you are new in sports gambling, you will find futures bets quite straightforward. We are going to present you two practical examples of futures betting to prove you there is nothing complicated with them. Two different championships are on our radar, so let’s go a bit deeper into these examples.
Winning example of Future bet
At the beginning of the NFL season, you are shopping for the Super Bowl winner odds. Most sportsbooks consider Kansas City Chiefs as the top favorites, and the best odds you were able to find are +700. You decide to back their campaign with a $100 wager.
The season started as per your expectations as the Chiefs made it to playoffs. However, this still doesn’t mean you will win your bet. The Chiefs continued in the same fashion and reached the NFL Super Bowl. Great, you are just one game away from winning the futures bet! In the fascinating clash, the Chiefs beat the Patriots and win the trophy. Now, you can enjoy your payouts, and in this case, you would get a profit of $700.
Losing example of Future bet
Last season, Giannis Antetokounmpo won the MVP award in the NBA league, and you believe he can keep up the form. The sportsbook gave you the odds of +550, which you find it to be a good value for your $100 wager. The contest is very tight this season, and eventually, LeBron James clinched the award. Your bet loses, and you cannot count on getting a $650 payout.
Futures betting for beginners: How to bet
Futures bets are one of the simplest betting types, but it doesn’t mean everything will go easy during the season. The wager you have placed came at the beginning of the championship, but side effects such as injuries, or squad changes can affect it a lot. However, there are some tips that you should follow to make your futures betting more successful.
- Back good-value odds: Multiple sportsbooks can set one team or player as a favorite in the championship; however, it doesn’t mean it will win it. It happens quite often that the top favorite fails to win the contest. Always check out the complete offer, and you may find good value odds. Of course, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t back favorites from time to time, especially if the odds are generous, and you are confident in the positive outcome.
- Research before placing a future bet: Do your homework before placing a futures bet. Make teams comparison, analyze squads, check out the roster, and possibly injured players. Consider any information that can indicate if a team you have picked provides good value odds and is worth putting some money on it.
- Explore professional picks: It can be quite often hard to choose picks, as there are too many tempting odds. Your bankroll cannot afford every wager you want to place, and you need to narrow your choice list. In that case, Billy’s List can help you find the best picks. Sign up for free and check the analyses from professional sports tipsters.
- Bet on multiple teams or players: The goal of futures betting should be to beat sportsbooks in the long run. Therefore, you should always consider backing more players or teams than just one. Even if you make multiple futures bets, you may end up with profits if one of your selections wins.
- Avoid gambling on your favorite team: Don’t let your emotions blind you while choosing your picks. Try to be as much objective as possible, and don’t let your heart lead you to make wrong decisions. It is always better not to back the team you are dying for no matter how much the odds are tempting than losing piles of money.
Futures betting for professionals: How to bet
Professional sports bettors always have some tweaks when it comes to futures betting. They have built up several strategies that can help you to get the most out of the offered odds or minimize losses. We are going to mention a few of them, which are most common for this betting type.
Hedging bets is one of the most popular strategies in futures betting. If this concept is entirely new for you, we will explain it in a few sentences. We have already said that the usual time for placing futures bets is at the beginning of the season. Due to multiple factors, the odds are certainly going to move during the campaign. Let’s assume that you have made a future bet on the NFL winner. Your team made it to the finals, and you are just one game away from snatching profits. A wise thing to do in this case is to back the opponent in the single finals game. With this approach, you won’t get the maximum profits from your original bet, since you have put some money on another one. Although you sacrifice a portion of your returns, you will get guaranteed profits, since no matter what the outcome of the Super Bowl is, one of your bets will win. Hedging can be done even before the finals; however, you need to take into consideration that more than two teams are still in the contest. Therefore, you may need to place multiple bets.
Futures odds are available through the season, and professional sports bettors always follow odds updates. A heavy favorite may have a slow start at the beginning of the campaign, and the odds might increase. If you are still positive that they can turn their fortune around and get back on course to win the competition, this might be an excellent opportunity to place a wager and land higher odds. It is crucial to remember to think long-term, and not just about the results in a single round.
Future bet: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
Futures betting is very entertaining, and you should try it at your favorite sportsbook. Create or log into your account, load some money on it, and find the best value odds. Take into consideration advice and tips from this guide, analyze the odds, and increase your chances of getting returns!
Futures betting is related to picking the winner of the championship. These bets are usually made before or at the very beginning of the season. To win a futures bet, you need to wait until the end of the campaign, because it’s not just picking a winner of a single match.
Futures odds are quite attractive, and you can potentially get more returns from futures bets than from single match wagers. Of course, you need to apply the right strategies and consider multiple factors when making futures bets. In case your future bet wins, you may end up with significant profits.
Yes. Futures betting can be applied to almost every kind of sport, including football, and NFL as the most popular league. You may find futures odds on the winner of the Super Bowl, but if you prefer betting on players, you may try your luck with an MVP award wager.
You cannot put multiple outcomes of a single event at one bet slip. Therefore, you cannot parlay NFL futures bets. No sportsbook in the gambling market would accept a kind of wager where the outcome of one selection is connected to another.
Yes, every sportsbook regularly updates futures odds according to different factors. Those factors can be the teams’ performances, potential injuries, or changes in squads. You can bet on futures odds during the season, and you may find more generous odds on specific teams.