Head To Head Bet Explained In 2021
Head to head bet pulls origins from horse racing, and it is one of the most traditional betting types. It represents the essence and the most basic example of sports betting, and that is why it is so popular among bettors. The meaning of head to head term can be quickly explained as picking the winner of the contest. It applies to a wide variety of sports, and we are going to dive into this betting type to learn more about it.
What is a Head-to-Head bet?
Head to head betting offers two possible outcomes of the game. This wagering type refers to the comparison of two participants of the match. If there are more than two contesters, the performance of others is irrelevant. Sportsbooks always offer two possible markets for a head to head bet. You wager either on a victory of one team or player over another. It's simple as that, and bettors should just pick a winner of the contest. That is why this betting type is one of the most straightforward ones.
The prospect of a draw is eliminated in this kind of bet. However, it doesn't mean that you cannot place a head to head wager on sports where a tie is one of the possible outcomes. However, we are going to get into this topic more profoundly later in the article. Head to head betting is probably the most popular wagering type throughout the world. It is because there is nothing complicated about this kind of bet. You need to make a simple choice, nothing more than that. Therefore, it is beneficial for newbies in sports betting.
Head to head and h2h are entirely the same terms. In some sports where there is a possibility of a draw, it is called a Draw No Bet. If you are a soccer fan, you should be familiar with this term as well. When you place a head to head bet on a soccer match, and it ends with a draw, you will get your stake back. Although the odds will be less generous in comparison to regular three-way markets, at least you won't lose your stake if the game ends in a tie.
Placing a Head-to-Head bet: Step-by-Step
If you have ever placed any kind of a bet so far, we are sure this process will be a piece of cake for you. But, just in case, we are going to walk you through all the steps for placing a head to head bet successfully.
- Pick your favorite sportsbook: With so many online sportsbooks available, it is quite often hard to pick the right one. Before you make a choice, make a comparison of top online bookmakers and select your preferred one.
- Create an online account: After you complete the initial step, you need an online account for being able to place wagers. Sign up at your favorite sportsbook with just a few clicks and load some money to your account.
- Navigate to your selection: Since you are now ready to make your selection, quickly navigate to the desired match. Click on the odds to populate the bet slip and move one step away from the first head to head bet.
- Place a bet: The only thing you need to do is enter your stake and hit the Place Bet button. You have put your first head to head wager, and you can now enjoy the game.
Usual sports for placing a Head-to-Head bet
Although head to head betting was initiated in horse racing, it applies to every kind of sport. The nature of sports is to get a winner of the competition. It implies that head to head betting is the most traditional way of wagering.
Bettors can regularly find head to head markets for football and soccer games. Head to head football bets are the default offer when you head to any NFL event. Draw in football isn't an option; therefore, bettors can pick just a winner of the match. Although things in soccer are a bit different since a draw is a valid outcome, head to head soccer bets are also known as Draw No Bets.
This wagering type also applies to basketball, hockey, or any other team sport. Individual sports are not excused from head to head betting as well. The most popular ones are tennis, Formula 1, golf, or combat sports. No matter if there are more than two contesters in the game, you can pick a better placed one among the offered two.
Examples for Head-to-Head bet
You have read enough about the theory, let's switch now to practical examples. If you are wondering how head to head bets work in real-life betting, this section will help you find the answers. Let's see these two cases and explore two different outcomes of the head to head bets.
Winning example of Head-to-Head bet
On the course to Super Bowl, your favorite team, Tennessee Titans, is facing the most substantial favorites, Baltimore Ravens. Hoping that your favorite team can cause an upset, you head to the sportsbook's website to check the odds.
You decide to put a $100 wager on the Titans. Things are going well for you, and eventually, the Titans celebrated a 28:12 win, although they were underdogs in this match. You can celebrate a victory of your favorite side and collect $375 in profits.
Losing example of Head-to-Head bet
As a Formula 1 fan, you are excited to have the opportunity to watch The Circuit of The Americas in Austin. To spice up things a bit, you would like to explore head to head markets. An interesting one got your attention.
You believe the British can win this duel and finish in a better position than his opponent. The odds at -140 seem to be a good value for you, and you decide to put a $100 wager. However, Bottas crossed the finish line first, leaving behind Lewis Hamilton. Your bet loses and leaves you without any winnings.
Head-to-Head bet for beginners: How to bet
Head to head betting is indeed very straightforward, but it doesn't mean you will win every time. If you are new in the sports betting business, some tips should help you make a good start. Check them out below and have them in mind before placing your wagers.
- Check the contesters' form: Before making your pick, you should get more familiar with players or teams in question. Analyze their most recent performances and see if they are in a good run, or if they are struggling.
- Get insight on their previous clashes: It is a good practice to see the history of h2h matches between two players or teams. One team or player may have a particularly good record over another.
- Explore the leagues' stats: If you are wagering on team sports, such as football or soccer, take some time to analyze the trends in corresponding leagues. In some of them, the home side may have a significant advantage over the visitors.
- Consult professional picks: There are so many sporting events daily, and it can be quite challenging to pick just a few of them and make profits. You can make things more comfortable if you sign up for Billy's List for free and get advice from professional tipsters.
- Get all available information: Don't let the odds lead you to wrong conclusions. Check team news, potential injuries, or some tabloid news as well, and they can indicate that a team or player may put poor performance.
Head-to-Head bet for professionals: How to bet
Although this betting type is most suitable for beginners in sports betting, it is popular among professional bettors as well. They have been working on some more advanced tips and strategies, and we are going to mention a couple of them.
Inexperienced bettors usually think that backing a huge favorite will inevitably lead to profits. However, this is the most common mistake in sports betting. Head to head odds are quite low if you want to back top team or player. Yes, favorites are probably going to win more often, but does it bring real value for you? You would need to chase long winning streaks to make any profits from this approach. However, surprises do happen in sports, and with just one wrong selection, you may lose everything you got until that point. Remember, the catch is not about chasing streaks but pursuing profits.
Professional bettors search for good value odds, meaning that the probability of a particular outcome is higher than the one implied by the odds offered. For instance, if you think your selection has a 70% chance of winning, and a bookmaker offers the odds at -120, then it is the right time to place a bet.
Head-to-Head bet: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
Do you agree that head to head betting is effortless? Yes? Then, head to your favorite sportsbook and register for an online account. Load some money on it and make your first head to head selection. Place a bet within seconds, kick off your wagering journey, and enjoy winnings!
Head to head betting is about predicting the winner of a contest. It can be a duel between two teams or players, as well as the comparison of two contesters if the number of participants is higher than two. It applies to both individual and team sports.
Head to head bet in soccer is also known as Draw No Bet. Although a draw is one of the possible outcomes, this betting type eliminates the prospect of a tie. In case the match ends with a draw, you will get your stake back.
In most of the cases, head to head betting doesn’t include extra time, nor penalty shootout. A winner should be decided in the regulation time of the game. However, some sportsbooks offer markets that include extra time, but you should check that before placing a wager.
In theory, you can wager on both teams in two separate bets. However, this is not profitable at all. If two teams have equal chances of winning the match, you won’t get +100 odds for each selection. Sportsbooks calculate their margins as well, so you can get the odds around -115.
If you are placing a head to head bet on the event with multiple contesters, the one you pick doesn’t necessarily need to win the entire competition. It just needs to be better ranked than the opposing contester, and you can count on winnings.