Long Term Bet Explained in 2021
Have you ever wondered if online sportsbooks offer wagering on the winner of the championship? If you did, the answer is yes. The good news is that we have tips and strategies on how to maximize the chances of winning long term bets. Our expert bettors share their experience so you can apply some tips to your gambling experience. Are you ready to dive in? Let's go!
What is a Long term bet?
Like its name says, a long term bet spreads over a more extended period, and it relates to predicting the winner of the competition. This betting type is specific thanks to the fact that a bettor doesn't wager on a single match of the championship. Therefore, long term bets go beyond just one game, and you need to wait until the entire tournament finishes.
You can come across the terms like futures bet, or outright betting, which are the synonyms for a long term bet. Bettors consider these types of bets as long-term investments. They can be very generous since the odds offered for long term bets are way higher than the ones for particular games. For example, backing one team throughout the entire season may leave you with an empty bankroll, since you would need to make a wager each round. The hottest favorites can have a setback occasionally, which can leave you without any money in your bankroll. However, if you place a long term bet on a particular team to win the competition, you are not dependant on their performances in individual matches. The only thing you care about is if they will lift the trophy at the end of the campaign. Remember Portugal at EURO2016? They had three draws in the group stage and just one victory in the regulation time in the entire tournament. Yet, they got crowned as the champions. If you were betting on them in every single match, you would certainly run out of money until the quarter-finals. That's why long term bets can be a wise choice, besides the fact that they are incredibly fun.
Placing a Long term bet: Step-by-Step
If you want to place a long term bet, but you have never done it before, we will walk you through all steps. The process is pretty much similar to making other kinds of wagers. It is not time-consuming, and you should be able to complete the process within just a few clicks.
- Select an online sportsbook: First thing you need to do is picking a sportsbook where to place your bet at. There are many attractive offers on the gambling market, generous odds, and promotions, so the choice can be pretty hard. You can check the best sports betting sites and make the selection upon your preferences.
- Sign up for an online account: After you have chosen a sportsbook, you need to have an online account opened. Just follow the instruction on the bookmaker's website, and you will sign up without trouble. Put some money on your account, and you are ready to make selections.
- Find the desired long term bet: Navigate to the event you want to wager on, and just click on the odds. The bet slip will get populated automatically, and you need to go through only one more step to complete the process.
- Place a wager: The last thing you need to do is to enter the stake and click on the Place Bet button. There you go, you have placed a long term bet!
Usual sports for placing a Long term bet
Long term bets provide lots of possibilities to bettors, and they can be applied to a wide range of sports. The purpose of every competition is to get a winner, so this wagering type is suitable for almost every sport. Long term bets are particularly popular in team sports such as football, basketball, soccer, or hockey. You can spice up NFL or NHL seasons by betting on the Super Bowl or Stanley Cup winners. Tournament-based competitions are also very attractive, especially the FIFA World Cup or the Champions League.
Long term bets provide you the opportunity to back your favorite players in team sports as well. Basketball fans can place wagers on the NBA MVP award. Baseball is also suitable for these kinds of bets since bettors can pick a player who will hit the most home runs in the MLB season.
Of course, individual sports such as Formula 1 or tennis are also trendy in long term betting.
Examples for Long term bet
Long term bets are quite straightforward, no matter what is the level of your gambling experience. Thanks to the examples we are about to dive in, this wagering type will be much brighter for you. Let's see how long term bets work in practice.
Winning example of Long term bet
In the build-up of the new Premier League season, you check the futures offer at your favorite bookmaker. Manchester City has been named as the favorite once again, while Liverpool is right below them.
You are convinced that this is the season where Liverpool can finally lift the trophy after 30-year long waiting. You backed them with a $100 wager. The Reds had a great campaign, they were 17 points clear on the top and deservedly won the Premier League. Your long term bet turned out to be an excellent investment since you managed to win $850.
Losing example of Long term bet
You are a huge football fan, so you want to back your favorite player. Patrick Mahomes had a great season, and he managed to win the NFL MVP award. You believe he can repeat the same success, and decide to put a $100 wager at the odds of +700.
However, Lamar Jackson shined for Baltimore Ravens, and the excellent quarterback was announced as the NFL most valuable player of the season. Your long term bet loses, and you cannot count on any returns from it.
Long term bet for beginners: How to bet
Placing long term bets are not complicated at all; however, it doesn't mean you will always end up with profits. Before making your picks and wagers, you should take into consideration specific tips to avoid potential risks. Remember that your long term bets come before the season starts, and a lot of things can happen during the campaign.
- Research a bit before placing a bet: Placing long term bets requires some homework before that. You should spend some time analyzing transfer windows, squads, team news, or potential injuries. Any information can provide you a valuable input before putting money on your pick.
- Go with good-value odds: It doesn't mean that a favorite will always win the competition. Consider backing potential contenders if you find the odds attractive. Of course, you shouldn't avoid favorites at any cost, but the odds should always bring you a good value.
- Don't wager just on one team or player: When making long term bets, it is recommended to spread them over several teams or players. The odds are usually pretty generous, so you can eventually end up with profits, although just one wager can win.
- Check professional tips: With such a brad choice nowadays, it can be quite challenging to focus on the right selections. Therefore, you should always seek some expert advice, and you can find a lot of tips by signing up for Billy's List for free.
- Don't let emotions affect your judgment: Always try to be as objective as possible when choosing your picks. The fact that you prefer one team more than another won't bring you money. There is no room for emotions in sports gambling.
Long term bet for professionals: How to bet
This betting type is quite popular among professional bettors who have developed specific strategies for maximizing their chances of winning. We are going to bring you a couple of tweaks and tips which can take your wagering experience to the next level.
Odds for long term bets are available throughout the season, and not only before the competition starts. In case the favorite has a slow start of the campaign, you can benefit from getting higher odds if you still want to back them. Single round results are not that important, and you should always think long-term.
One of the most popular strategies for long term betting is hedging. Thanks to the availability of odds throughout the season, you can decide to kame a different bet if things are not going in the right direction. Or, in case you are just one game away from winning a long term bet, you can back the opponents in the finals and count on returns. They may not be as high as the profits from the original futures wager. However, you eliminate the risk of losing everything just because of that one game. By applying this approach, you can count on guaranteed profits, no matter what is the outcome of the final match. A good example can be Super Bowl, so if your favorite team made it to the finals, you could back their opponents in the last clash to secure returns.
Long term bet: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
You shouldn't wait for a second to try out long term bets, now when you learned everything about them. Just head to your selected bookmaker and register for an online account. Make your first deposit and choose your picks. Thanks to long term betting, any competition can get more interesting.
Long term bet is about picking the winner of the particular competition. It is available before the season starts, and the outcome is determined at the end of the championship. It doesn’t depend on a winner of a single match, so you need to wait until the end of the campaign.
The odds for outright betting are available throughout the campaign, and not only before the season kicks-off. Due to different factors, such as the performance of the participants, injuries, transfer windows, they are getting updated. You can benefit from those movements, and find better value after the competition starts.
Long term bets can be more profitable than wagering on a single event due to several reasons. The odds are way more generous, leading you to higher profits. You don’t need large amounts of money to back your favorites, in comparison to wagering on every match during the season.
Yes, long term bets are available for every king od sport, including football. Bettors can wager on the next winner of the Super Bowl and back their favorite team. On the other hand, if you prefer betting on individual players, you can put some money on the next NFL MVP.
This option is not possible since you are not allowed to make multiple selections of a single competition at one bet slip. Since the outcome of one pick is connected to another, it is simply not possible to combine them as part of the same wager.