Over Under Bet Explained in 2020
Are you fed up by picking winners of the matches you want to bet on? Have you considered trying over/under betting? If you are unsure how hard or profitable it is, our team of expert bettors is sharing useful tips for being successful in totals bets. Do you want to learn more about this exciting betting type? Dive into this guide and explore strategies that may lead you to higher profits in sports gambling!
What is an Over/Under bet?
Over/Under bet is one of the most traditional betting types in sports gambling. Therefore, it is the most popular kind of wager, along with the moneylines. However, these two types are entirely different. The moneylines are focused only on selecting who will win the match. Oppositely, betting over/under is all about the number of goals or points scored in a particular game. Over/under markets are also known as totals.
Where does over/under name come from? Bookmakers are setting different margins, and you should bet if the total number of points or goals will be higher or lower than the margin set. In other words, you wager on whether the total number of points will be over or under the margin. It doesn't matter which team or player will win the game in total bets. The number of points is what determines the outcome of an over/under bet. This betting type is one of the easiest ones, and it won't take you much time to get into it.
Over/under markets evolved a lot in the past few years. They expanded from total points to other measurable parameters. For instance, you can make an over/under bet on the number of corners, or the number of home runs. Some markets refer only to individual teams, or particular periods of the match. Everything that can provide exact figures in the game can be suitable for betting over/under. This betting type offers lots of opportunities, and bettors just need to be creative enough to benefit from it.
Placing an Over/Under bet: Step-by-Step
If you think placing an over/under needs advanced betting experience, you are wrong. In just a few clicks, you can put money on the game you like and enjoy it. If you are not comfortable with placing a total wager on your own, just follow these simple steps.
- Pick an online sportsbook: There are many great sportsbooks out there, and picking one might be a tough decision. Before making a choice, check the best online bookmakers and jump to the next step.
- Create an online account: For being able to place bets, you need to sign up for an online account. It is a straightforward process, and you will be guided on the bookmaker's website. Make sure to put some money on it after the registration.
- Navigate to your selection: After you have fulfilled all preconditions, it's time for the real action. Menus will easily navigate you to the desired event, and all you need to do is click on the selected odds. The bet slip will get automatically populated.
- Make a wager: You are just a click away from making your first over/under bet. Just enter the stake and hit the Place Bet button. There you go!
Usual sports for placing an Over/Under bet
The simplicity of total bets makes them suitable for almost any kind of sport. You don't need to worry about the offer for the most popular ones in the US. The number of available markets for football, basketball, soccer, or hockey events are stunning. Just dip into the totals odds for any NFL or NBA game, and you should be able to wager on almost everything related to points.
If you are an NHL or the Premier League fan, there are lots of options to bet on the total number of goals. No matter if it's related to the full-time, specific periods of the game, or special teams. Not to forget baseball and MLB events, even if they don't have so many available options in comparison to soccer or basketball. Individual sports are not excluded from over/under betting since there are plenty of markets for tennis matches. Whether they relate to the number of sets, games, or points, tennis fans can always find attractive odds.
Examples for Over Under bet
In case you are still not sure how betting over/under works in practice, we are going to walk you through two examples. Let's take the NFL match between New England Patriots and Kansas City Chiefs for the case of winning over/under bet.
Winning example of Over Under bet
A big NFL game is going to take place this weekend, and you dived in the bookmakers' offer. Derby match between the Patriots and Chiefs always attracts a lot of attention. The odds offered for the total number of points in the game are as follows.
You are expecting a great spectacle and a very efficient display of both teams. According to the odds, a $100 totals bet could bring you profits of $70. Indeed, the crowd saw an incredible game in which the hosts celebrated a 43:40 victory. You enjoyed the match, and you win a wager.
Losing example of Over/Under bet
Toronto Raptors are in an excellent form, and you want to capitalize on their unbeatable run. They are about to host Houston rockets in an NBA clash, and you are very positive about their scoring capabilities. A bookmaker gave you the following odds for the Raptors totals.
Your $100 wager can bring you $70 on top of your stake. Yet, the Raptors booked another victory but managed to score only 94 points, leaving you without any returns from this bet.
Over/Under bet for beginners: How to bet
You already had the chance to see how easy placing an over/under bet is. However, being successful with this betting type is a bit more complicated. Luckily, we have highlighted several tips that can help you have a good start.
- Do pre-match research: Before making a totals wager, you should spend some time doing homework. Check the latest news, possible injuries, even weather conditions for outdoor sports. They can have a significant impact on the course of the match, so you should be looking to avoid any unnecessary risk.
- Check out stats: Stats play a significant role in over/under betting, although you cannot completely rely on it. If a particular team is in a good run, and quite efficient, it would be reasonable to follow that trend.
- Impact of the match importance: Sometimes, it happens that in the clash of the two most efficient sides, the game ends with a low number of points. Be careful when betting over/under on the finals, or other matches with high importance. Both sides can decide to change the strategy since just victory counts for them.
- Compare the odds: When you find a desired over/under bet, shop around for the best odds. Sportsbooks have different odds on offer, so why don't you take advantage and boost your potential returns a bit more?
- Seek professional advice: Since the number of totals markets is so extensive, picking just a few games might be tricky. Don't hesitate to look around for some professional advice. You can sign up to Billy's List for free and get lots of daily expert tips.
Over Under bet for professionals: How to bet
Professional bettors took the over/under betting to another level thanks to several advanced strategies. They can increase your chances to win a bet or minimize the risks of losing the entire stake. We are going to explore a few of them, and you can apply these tweaks to your betting experience.
Expert bettors that feel strongly about their selections will create a parlay to make totals and a spread bet on the single match. It is a better approach than picking two different teams since you depend on the performance of just one pick. Also, the odds you can get by creating these parlays can be pretty generous.
Totals are also an excellent alternative to the spread when you are unsure of who will win the game. Professionals will always go for over/under bet if the winning margin is too shady, but they are quite positive of the total number of points in the game. Therefore, a poor betting opportunity could become a good value wager with favorable odds if you observe it from the standpoint of the totals.
You can also include some maths when choosing your picks. For example, there are statistical calculations of what is the most common total number of points in an NFL game. You can explore those figures and increase the chance to win over/under bets.
Over/Under bet: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
Now, when you are ready to place your first over/under bet, it is time to head to your favorite bookmaker's site. Fund your online account with some money, and navigate to the match you want to wager on. Apply some tips from this guide, and make your betting experience more exciting.
Over/Under bets, or totals, refer to the number of goals or points scored in a particular match. Unlike moneyline bets, you do not need to pick a winner of the game. The purpose of an over/under wager is to predict whether the total number of points in the game will be above or under the margin set by the bookmaker.
It depends on the sport you are betting on, and on the sportsbooks’ rules. It is recommended to check if your wager includes overtime as well. In the case of the NBA and NFL matches, overtime is usually included in totals bets.
Although the most common way of setting the margin is by half a point, there are cases of a whole-point margin. It’s also known as sports betting push. In case the total number of points hits the margin, then you will get your stake, and the wager is void.
Over/Under betting offers various markets for NFL games. Besides the classic offer related to total points in the match, you can finds totals related to each period of the game. Betting over/under on the individual NFL teams or players is also available.
Yes, this kind of wagering is very suitable for live betting as well. The number of markets is quite respectable, and you should be able to find different opportunities. You can take advantage of watching the live-action and make your bets according to what happens on the pitch.