Prop Bets Explained in 2022
Do you want to spice up your betting experience, and try something different from moneylines, points spread, or Over/Under Bets? In that case, prop bets can be an excellent choice for you! Don’t worry if you lack knowledge about this betting type. Our team of expert bettors will guide you thought the basics, but also some advanced strategies. Are you ready for more action? Let’s start!
What are Prop bets?
You must have lots of prop bets in your life, although if you are not aware of it, or you don’t know what a prop bet is. If you ever said something like, “I bet that I will pass my exam tomorrow,” it means you have made a prop bet. In other words, with prop bets, you can place a proposition that you or someone else can or cannot do something.
Prop bets are also known as specials, and it may not affect the outcome of the game. They can refer to different milestones in the game or individual player performances. A proposition bet can be anything that not includes point spread, moneylines, or totals. For example, a prop bet in football would be how many catches a wide receiver will have. This kind of wager offers two options to choose from. In the example we mentioned earlier, those two possibilities would be if a player will have more or fewer catches than the number set as a margin.
Prop betting allows you to be as creative as you want in sports gambling. Thanks to this betting type, you can place a wager on almost everything that crosses your mind and is related to the game. Just like other game wagers, prop bets are placed before the game starts. Some of them might be just for fun, while others can be pretty profitable in the long-term. Let’s explore different kinds of a proposition bet that you can find in your sportsbook’s offer.
Types of Prop bets
Prop betting gives you a high level of creativity and numerous possibilities. All these bets fall into two main categories, so let’s check them more thoroughly.
Fun bets are the first kind of prop wagers. They are just a simple form of gambling as they do not require any sort of expertise from a bettor. The most famous fun bet is whether the coin toss would be heard or tails at the Super Bowl.
Another one which is pretty popular lately is whether or not the singer of the National Anthem will perform over or under a certain length of time. This one is also related to the Super Bowl. You have to agree that no skill is required to predict the outcome of these types of wagers. An equivalent in gambling would be spinning the roulette wheel. You cannot rely on fun bets to bring you long-term success since you are only at the mercy of luck.
On the other hand, with skilled prop bets, you can use your knowledge and skills to place bets that are not just pure guessing. Under skilled bets category, you would find:
- “Will it occur” wagers – Questions like will New York Yankees hit two or more home runs or will the Ravens score touchdown in the first quarter are the typical examples.
- Futures bets – Who will be the NBA MVP, or who will win the Stanley Cup are the classics for this type
- Individual performance props – Rather than team performances, you may wager on particular athletes.
- Timing wagers – These are bets based on a specific amount of time to complete a specific milestone.
- First on the team – These are quite straightforward wagers as you need to predict who will do something first.
Placing Prop bets: Step-by-Step
Placing a prop bet is not much different from other betting types. They are available in almost every online sportsbook, and you can easily find them. However, if you are not sure how to complete this process, just follow these simple steps.
- Choose an online sportsbook: Sometimes, it can be tricky finding the most suitable sportsbook from a crowded market. However, you can always check sports betting reviews and find the one that suits you the most.
- Create an online account: Next step you need to complete is signing up for an online account. You can do it in a few easy steps by filling all the required information. Don’t forget to load some money to it, as you’ll eventually need it to place your prop bets.
- Find your prop bet: After you have done the administrative stuff, quickly navigate to the event of your interest and its props section. Click on the odds, and the bet slip will be instantly displayed.
- Place a wager: At this point, you just need to enter the stake and hit the Place Bet button. See, it wasn’t hard at all!
Usual sports for placing a Prop bets
Proposition betting is suitable for any kind of sports due to their enormous flexibility. They are famous not just for the Super Bowl, as the biggest football event, but they are also quite represented in other popular team sports such as soccer, basketball, baseball, and hockey. You should be able to find lots of prop bets for the NBA, NHL, MLB, or regular NFL games. Of course, that number is not near as the number of prop bets for the Super Bowl.
Those who are not familiar with any sport also like to make different prop wagers on this event, which is considered as the US national holiday. Also, those who never gambled before can place lots of prop bets, even those silly ones.
This kind of wager applies to individual sports as well, such as tennis, Formula 1, or horse racing. Nevertheless, this betting type is present in all kinds of sports, and you can wager on almost everything that crosses your mind.
Examples for Prop bets
To see how prop betting works in real action, we are going to walk you through a couple of examples. As the winning case, we are going to take a look at the Super Bowl clash between Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers. For the losing one, let’s take the MLB game between New York Mets and Boston Red Sox.
Winning example of Prop bets
A big game is about to start, and you dipped into the Super Bowl offer at your sportsbook’s website. You believe the Chiefs can score a touchdown in the first quarter, and the bookie gives you’re the odds at +150. You think these are excellent value odds and go with a $100 wager. Indeed, at the very end of the first quarter, Patrick Mahomes scored a touchdown, meaning that you win a proposition bet and earn $150 in profits.
Losing example of Prop bets
In the MLB classic, you believe that Justin Wilson can hit at least one home run since he’s been in good form lately. A sportsbook offered you the odds at +115, and you place a $100 prop bet. However, Wilson failed to hit the home run, which means your wager is a losing one.
Prop bets for beginners: How to bet
Proposition betting is suitable for all bettors, no matter what their level of experience is. They are straightforward and flexible, but it doesn’t mean you are going to be successful all the time. If you plan to explore this betting type more thoroughly, we are bringing you some useful tips that can help you make a good start.
- Don’t rely on fun props: It is okay that you occasionally place these wagers; however, you cannot expect success in the long-term. It is because you are relying only on luck, and no kind of information can help you reduce the risk of losing a bet.
- Back good value odds: Don’t hesitate to shop around to find the best prices offered by bookmakers. You can find lots of prop bets, and if you believe that a particular one brings good value for you, there is no reason not to wager it.
- Bet on multiple teams or players on futures props: If you prefer making futures props, bear in mind to bet more than just one side or player. You will increase your chances to get a payout, and since the odds are longer than in other wagers, you can end up with profits.
- Do pre-game research: Before selecting your pick, spend some time on analyzing teams’ or players’ recent performances. It makes sense to back a team who is in a good run lately or to avoid betting on a slightly injured player.
- Explore expert picks: If you don’t have time to do research but still want to place proposition bets, you can always seek help from professional bettors. If you sign up to Billy’s List, you will find lots of expert daily picks, and it won’t cost you a cent.
Prop bets for professionals: How to bet
Although there are different kinds of proposition bets, some of them can be pretty profitable in the long-term. Professional bettors have developed several strategies based upon skilled prop bets, and they are mostly related to particular sports.
The opportunities for making a prop betting strategy are limitless, especially for the most popular sports like football. One of the most lucrative ones could be predicting how many wins an NFL team can book during the season. Although you should wait for the end of the campaign to see the outcome, the odds are pretty generous, and you may hit significant returns.
Similar to NFL preseason props, if you are the NBA fan, backing a particular player to win the MVP award can be quite profitable. Just a few players have been hot contenders in the past years, and if you choose wisely, you may get a lucrative payout at the end of the season.
MLB can provide lots of opportunities for good value prop bets. You can put money on a player who will lead the league in home runs. MLB season is long, statistics are seamlessly endless, and baseball props can potentially be very successful. Prop betting strategy around the number of strikeouts of a pitcher could be a sound pick.
Prop bets: Try it now at one of the top 5 betting sites
If you want to make your betting experience more fun and exciting, you need to start placing proposition bets now. Head to your favorite bookmaker and find a deal that suits you the most. Put some money into your online account and set your prop bets.
When you wager on if something will occur or not, then you are making a prop bet. It doesn’t depend on the totals, points spread, or moneylines. Prop bets are like a yes/no question, and this kind of wager usually does not have an impact on the outcome of the game.
Prop betting is available at any sportsbook, and you can find quite a good offer. They are very easy to locate, as this betting type usually has a section dedicated to these markets. Prop bets are prevalent in all parts of the world, and especially in the US.
Limits depend on a sportsbook, but generally speaking, they are lower compared to those set for moneylines, point spread, or totals. Hundreds of props are available only on the NFL matches, and sportsbooks do not pay so much attention to odds movements. To prevent bettors from having the edge over bookmakers, they set the limits low.
Yes, in-play prop bets are also offered by some bookmakers. They are usually related to the question of what will happen next. You can get more thrill if you are placing live prop bets and watch, for example, a football game at the same time.
Prop bets are suitable for any kind of event, so they are available for non-sports happenings. You can make a proposition bet on the elections, the Oscar award, or even the weather. If you are willing to place that kind of wager, a bookie will offer odds for you.